Thrinax radiata

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

My Very Slow Growing T. radiata in the ground from a one gallon three years ago and barely half a foot tall did well in this freeze with some minor spotting. Minimum was 26.5F with several upper 20s nights as well. :)
Jim in Los Altos, CA SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level
zone 10a/9b
sunset zone 16
300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground
Las Palmas Design
Facebook Page
Las Palmas Design & Associates
Elegant Homes and Gardens

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Jimbean

Jimbean

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

Mine did two hours of 26F, under a canopy of sabals.  It was in its juvenile stage.  No damage!
Brevard County, Fl

#3 spockvr6

spockvr6

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

This palm was in a 7 gallon pot and planted out in January 2007. There was some slow to appear cold damage to one leaf in particular.

The "official" air temperature on my weather station (at about 4-5 ft above ground ) was 34F. But, due to the still air, I measured 29F at ground level.

This palm was in the open and not exposed to frost. Another T. radiata which has been in the ground since Feb 2006 was not damaged in the least. This damaged palm was also shade grown (and thus planted out in full sun).  So, I suspect that this palm was a little weak from the recent planting and this contributed to the damage at a relatively high temperature.

Posted Image
Larry
Palm Harbor, FL 9b/10a
Bokeelia, FL 10b

#4 ruskinPalms

ruskinPalms

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 1 day after the freeze event.

No damage from this event. Is in the middle of a dense planting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

No damage still at 4 days after freeze.
Parrish, FL
Zone 9B

#5 spockvr6

spockvr6

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

All of mine (which range from 4-6 ft OA) were undamaged from 35.0F, 33.5F, 35.8F in 1/2009. No frost on leaves.
Larry
Palm Harbor, FL 9b/10a
Bokeelia, FL 10b

#6 jayfro6

jayfro6

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm glad to hear these are making appearances in Cali. They are such cute little palms. I accidently left my potted seedlings out in a brief 30 degree freeze but they were already pissed off from being in north FL, so I think they just hated me a little bit more. They recovered and I let them retire to Pompano Beach. My theory is they need hot sun in the winter.
Posted Image
Jay

Tallahassee, FL USDA Zone 8b
Elevation: 150 ft.

#7 Davidl

Davidl

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

These are a 9b palm until the frost hits them from my experience.
JIL
Davidl

#8 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

I have a small plant about 1ft tall. It was exposed to two nights at 32 and one at 34. The last two with frost. No damage at all.
With a tin cup for a chalice
Fill it up with good red wine,
And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

#9 JeffreyApolloBeach

JeffreyApolloBeach

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

I have 2. The one under a Delonix Regia has no visible damage (no frost formed on it). The one on the open had some frost on it, it shows some damage, but the Dypsis lutescens next to it shows a lot more damage (both palms are about 2 1/2 feet overall).
Jeffrey
Apollo Beach, FL
zone 9b/10a

#10 sur4z

sur4z

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

I have two...the taller one on the south side of my house got burned but the smaller one on the north side did fine...go figure.

Posted Image

Posted Image
The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here
That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from
Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere
--Avett Bros

#11 gsytch

gsytch

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

My one Thrinax has showed burning in the past week. It is under 4 large Queens, so I thought it would be a perfect place. Only the newest leaf looks good. It is 5 ft tall and 3 years planted. Again, 4 nights below freezing but that one last night was below 32F in the back yard for about 10+ hours with solid ice in buckets...Greg :huh:
Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

#12 Dave-Vero

Dave-Vero

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Mine is about 5' and is part of a palm thicket, with some canopy overhead. It's unfazed, no frost, temperature as low as 28 (early in the evening, whole night close to freezing, then 29 at dawn).
Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Florida Climate Center zone 10a
arborday.org 2004 hardiness zone 10
4 km inland from Indian River

#13 bubba

bubba

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Here are two T. radiata's, photographed 2 weeks after cold. You can see yellow at the bottom of the top:

Posted Image
"Be kind, for everyone you encounter is fighting a great battle."
Philo

#14 basilios

basilios

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Mine grows in a pot, almost 3' tall, went through a very tough and persistently cold winter with severeal weeks in a row with temperatures steadily below 53F and many days where daytime highs never passed 46F, but NO freezing, the lowest night temperature monitored at around 34F, finally was completely defoliated, but its spear appears to be OK. In previous winters, when we had similar lowest temps for a couple of nights but a much warmer overall average, it didn't have any problem. So it needs some warm weather every now and then to keep going or else it enters the danger zone, even without a true freeze event.
Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece
Lat 37 55' 33" N - Lon 23 42' 34" E
Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users