IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

This topic is for Verena

Alberto

First pic: Pollen parent Lytocaryum hoehnei. This palm will flower for the first time this year. The pollen came from a mature palm from the Plantarum Botanical Garden in Nova Odessa - São Paulo (from Harri Lorenzi)

Second pic: Seed parent. Lytocaryum weddellianum

Third pic; infructescence on a L.weddellianum. Note the "splitting" ripe fruits

post-465-0-76913800-1360112186_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-72523300-1360112467_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88059700-1360112607_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Fourth pic: little pure L.weddellianum seedling growing at the "foot' of a palm. Note the first leaves are practically pinate from the very beginning.

Fifth pic - some older L,weddellianum seedlings

post-465-0-47175400-1360113027_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-37955500-1360113222_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

This are the hybrid seedlings. they clearly are bigger then pure weddellianum seedlings and start there life with a strap leave

post-465-0-14924700-1360113727_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-79644700-1360113973_thumb.jpg

Uuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. ALBERTO! Currently neither I can believe what I see nor I am able to speak. You have hybrids of L. weddelianum and hoehnei? :yay::wub: Amazing. I am so excited to see that pics and to know that there are other Lyto enthusiastics. :greenthumb:

Alberto ... do you have one seedling left over? :D What I have to do to get one? B)icon_kuss.gif

You´ve made my day, Alberto. THANK YOU SO MUCH. icon_top.gif

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

• 2 months later...

Dear all,

I do not really know how to describe my emotions. What should I say ...

Dear Roberto, what are you for me meanwhile ... a very good friend for sure. Today a small parcel has been delivered @ work. It´s content: the hybrid of L. weddelianum x hoehnei.

I am so indescribably happy.

Now it is my turn to carry through on a promise. Will do that.

master.gifjuhu.gificon_kuss.gif

20130506_183850.jpg

20130506_183853.jpg
20130506_183903.jpg
20130506_183909.jpg

Dear all,

I do not really know how to describe my emotions. What should I say ...

Dear Roberto, what are you for me meanwhile ... a very good friend for sure. Today a small parcel has been delivered @ work. It´s content: the hybrid of L. weddelianum x hoehnei.

I am so indescribably happy.

Now it is my turn to carry through on a promise. Will do that.

master.gifjuhu.gificon_kuss.gif

worthless_without_pics.gif

icon_devil.gif

Ante, there are pics attached. icon_mrbrg.gif

Nice work Alberto in sharing the wealth to other Lyto lovers like Verena :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I´m glad the package finally arrived . My aunt brought the seedlings from Brazil to to Holland and from there they were posted to Germany.

Verena , the ultimate Lytocaryum collector, because of her passion for this genus ,deserves to see this palm growing in her collection. :winkie:

I hope that the other germinated seed of the xLytocaryum also will sprout soon. With your love and the hybrid vigour they will grow well, I´m sure. This seedlings/seeds are lucky because will have another growing season there while mine are going to see cooler weather....

BTW- Take care not to burn this little leaves, because they grew in the shade last months..... :rolleyes: ............

Thx Len. :)

I feel privileged indeed and cannot bellieve what I have. Yesterday was my day of the year.

@ Roberto: for sure, thank you. Generally none of my Lytos have been in full sun, they all like half-shadow. And this very special and precious little palms are my babies now, I will care for them as good as I can and avoid any potential damage. Please keep your fingers crossed that they will survive here in Germany. Roberto will always be the first person who receives updates. :)

• 1 year later...

This topic is not only for me - it is for my Brazilian friend, for Alberto.

Well, after a dark winter, the little hybrid that find it´s way from Brazil to Germany seems to get more and more sick. No idea how to describe this better, but there was no growth, brown leaf apex etc. :(

Okay, changing the mixture of the soil seems to be the only way to keep it alive. And what shall I say - IT WORKED. No sand anymore, just a lot of SERAMIS (special product here in Germany, mini form of foamed clay, normally used for hydro plants), mixture relation 50:50.

Alberto, my friend - this is for you. And for all those who like the Lytos. ;-)

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Feel hugged. :)

• Upvote 1

Hello Verena,

Why Seramis? Foamed clay is available at all sizes and is just half as expensive or even less. You can even purchase small quantities from orchid growers in Germany if thats the problem.

Whoa!

Wonder what Freud would think of all this? :hmm::)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hello, Jacob -

nice to meet a Berlin guy here. :greenthumb: Well, as far as I know Seramis is very well suited for acting as a water tank. I do not know if general foam does this as well. If yes, your advice could be an alternative, indeed. Thanks for it. :-)

@ Dave: he would ask to join us. :innocent::evil:

Hello Verena,

you have to buy the foamed clay that is suited for hydroculture. The 50 liter bag costs about 10€ in my local hardware store. I guess you get about 5 liters of Seramis for the same price. :)

I have used Seramis in the past but can not tell you any difference then the price to foamed clay. For storing water i would suggest the use of peat moss, pumice and lava rock in your substrat. I use foamed clay just as a 5 cm deposit at the bottom of my pots to prevent dammed-up water.

Jakob

Hello Verena,

you have to buy the foamed clay that is suited for hydroculture. The 50 liter bag costs about 10€ in my local hardware store. I guess you get about 5 liters of Seramis for the same price. :)

Aloha, Jakob :-)

Well, 30 l Seramis I get for 22 €. Definitely more expensive than your recommended foam which I did not know until now.

Many thanks for the very good advices, cannot exclude to follow them in the future, will give anything a try. :greenthumb:

Hi Verena! Nice to see your xLyto is surviving and thriving with the new medium!

• 3 years later...

One grown up hybrid from the pot above. Four years and 9 months in pots and now finally planted out

DSCN8687.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 6 years later...