IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinate Drinking Cocos Fruits?

Cristóbal

Any body try to germinate the cocos fruits you buy to drink the milk ?

I'm from La Paz, Baja California Sur, where we have cocos and there we only put them in the ground when they fall from the palm.

But I think the drinking cocos are more young then the ones falling from the trees, are they ok to germinate ?

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Hi Cristóbal and friends:

The general opinion here is that a coconut is ready to be planted when it naturally falls down from the tree. This episode takes about a year to happen since the fruit starts being formed, here in the tropics.

This doesn't mean that a fully ripe and mature coconut cannot be harvested and put to germinate. The requirement is that it is totally ripe: the husk sort of shrinks a bit and shows a brown color, and also the rest of the water "shakes" inside, which means that the copra thickness has reached its maximum inside.

I get a little confused when people from abroad mention coconut milk...what we call milk here is the product of the blending of the copra with water and it is very different from the water naturally found inside the fruit. The milk, which is a snow white dense liquid, can be obtained industrialized (sold here in bottles) or you can open a ripe coconut, remove and squeeze the copra and use a blender at home. You can't drink the milk straight...it is widely used locally in culinary dishes, both for cooking seafood with and also in many sweet desserts and ice creams. What you probably call coconut milk is actually the water from ripe coconuts, which is not used as a drink here either...it usually tastes awful and nobody in the tropics ever drinks that... The liquid which is suited for drinking is just the water from the unripe fruits. When a coconut starts to mature, say the copra inside is starting to exist, till it gets about 3 mm thick in the bottom of the fruit, then you reach the last point where the fruit is ready to be harvested to drink from. A harvested unripe coconut for drinking purpose has a short viability before consumption...just some 10 days, 2 weeks maximum if you put it in a fridge...and fresh fruits taste the best, the moment you cut it from the tree.

From this point of maturity on, the water starts to ferment inside and it may not be good to human health.

Fresh water from unripe coconuts (especially dwarf green ones) is my favorite drink anytime. It's a pity that they haven't found out a good stabilizing process to industrialize it yet...You can find it for sale in aluminum tetrapacks or bottled in refrigerated glass conteiners but it doesn't taste like the real fresh fruit...

Ripe fruits:

post--1152800160_thumb.jpg

ok thanks for the information. the reason  i post is here by the beach theres many many places to buy the cocos fruits to drink but all the fruits are very young.

i have one coco in a pot and want more cocos palms but there very hard to find in tijuana, you have to go to san diego california to the home depot to buy cocos palms and its expensive also you cant bring the palms into méxico for the customs (but i try! ) :P

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

thats not the only plant people are trying to bring across the border,but mostly its going south to north...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.