IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First sub- 30's nights of the season

BS Man about Palms

happens to mine every year i still havent gotten my money back :rant:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We got lucky in the early January freeze. Our weather station, (KCASANTA178) properly located away from structures and trees, 6 feet off the ground with added radiational shield sits in the lower part of the garden where there is the least wind exposure. I saw significant difference in damage in lower versus upper garden.

Jan 12, 32.5F/55.6F

Jan 13, 29.5F/59.7F (32.0F@3:12AM two dips below 30F for 20 minutes, above 32F by 8:57AM)

Jan 14, 34.7F/58.5F

Jan 15, 32.9F/59.4F

Jan 16, 34.9F/66.4F

Jan 17, 39.2F/79.9F

Jan 18, 47.7F/75.2F

Jan 19, 44.6F/77.4F

lower garden: mountain papayas and bananas lost leaves, no green wood damage. Daturas lost leaves, some burn on cherimoyas that were most exposed. Nothing on any palms. (parajubaea cocoides, dypsis, c. plumeria, etc...)

middle garden: mountain papayas lost partial leaves, some tips on 30 feet tall ice cream bean fried, c. urens, c. gigas, a. maxima all untouched), bananas only partially hit.

Upper garden: papaya leaves still green, most vertical banana leaves still green. Obviously all palms are intact.

Right after the freeze, only the daturas and the papayas immediately showed damage. However, most of any other damage, for example ice cream bean didn't really show up until it got into the 80's:

This coming Thur/Fri snow levels down to 2,000 feet, it will get cold again, but most places are supposed to be pretty windy. It's a dry storm, with a strong high pressure system to move in rapidly afterwards. Could be cold Sat AM. Hawaii higher elevations are expecting possible Winter weather as well.

• 5 months later...

BUMP! just so we can be thankful for what we got now...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

:)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!