IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Simple Success for Dictyocaryum

Pedro 65

Two years ago ( December 2010) Rosebud farm sent me 40 bareroot 1 leaf Dictyocaryum seedlings. In a "trial and error", which is the" best learning tool ever' ( for me anyway) I found success with some very simple methods and Im "very happy" to share this for enthusiasts wanting to grow Dictyocaryum lamarckianum

Unless you live on the Big Island Hawaii where Palms grow very easily and Dictyocaryums are an easy grow.. ..Dictocaryum for palm enthusiasts everywhere else though ( apart from the cool and warm wet Sth Americas) has been a litttle shrouded in mystery, and think its an impossible or very hard grow...This is not so...as long as your weather isnt too extreme and harsh..

Heres the simple success tips from the "Trial and error" that "really worked" and what Dictyocaryums are doing the "Best".

Build a raised bed with rich soil , including sand and 50% decomposed wood and organic matter.( make sure it freely drains , you dont want a bog)

IF possible , build the bed beside a Large decomposing log ( the roots will grow into this)

Have a shadecloth canopy erected above ( 50%min) , and near canopy palms that will help shade the young Dictyocaryums.

Build the bed where on a windy day, this location is "protected" and surround other plants for wind protection.

Build the bed where the Dictyocaryums can get a little direct morning sun.

Plant your 1 lor 2 leaf barerooted seedling "directly In Ground" to your built raised bed, the roots like to "go deep very fast"

Dictyocaryum seedlings respond very well to a little Nutricote Total, and the peat moss from mushroom compost.

If you dont live in a high rainfall area water often with Rain or creek water..Not chlorinated water..

When the stilt roots appear, keep them covered with moist decomposed matter so they dont dry out.

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum is a"sensational palm" that needs to be grown or attempt growing on a much wider scale.

Dictyocaryum for me is the easiest and quickest of all trialed stilt root palms, hope all this "Blah" puts a little excitement into your belly to buy some fresh seed available "Right Now from RPS", and "have a go" and "have some fun" watching one of the "most beautiful Palms in the World"grow in "Your Garden" Best of Luck, below is a few pics of a Dictyocaryum lamarckianum in light lovely rain ( see a little purple starting to appear on the last pic ) planted as a 1 leafer 2 yrs ago , ( Thanks to the late Rich Trapnell ( Rosebudfarm) for bareroot seedlings) Pete :)

post-5709-0-65637700-1355998134_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-84739000-1355998181_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-02065100-1355998210_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-58593300-1355998265_thumb.jp

Simply stunning! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mine since I won't see them again until late March. Seeds for me germinated quickly and easily so follow Pete's advice and grow these!

Cindy Adair

Thanks for the tips Pete. I have thought I could maybe pull one off in a fairly heavy canopy area here :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Cindy, yours where looking great in PR the last pics you sent, we where at the same size, yours would be larger no doubt, all best with them.

Bill, "have a go mate" :) you never know till you trial and error.. Before the recent rains came we had a few days of 35c and the humidity was lacking, I watered them morning and night with rainwater, they werent phased by this kind of heat at all due to the canopy and plenty of rainwater poured over the whole palm.

Heres a daytime pic I posted a few weeks ago and an above leaf shot, its starting to get more pinate.

post-5709-0-26390300-1356032043_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-10313500-1356032143_thumb.jp

As you can see - these are well worth the gamble if successful.

post-11-0-27982900-1356053148_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-16680100-1356053156_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

As you can see - these are well worth the gamble if successful.

"Very happy" you posted pics of yours Dean, "Thank you," they really ooze "Awesomeness" :) , I look fwd to every bit of progression and love that my "littleuns " are starting to get a little colour. I hope lots of enthusiasts "give them a try". Pete :)

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Always nice when people share growing tips.

I think the issue here is the cold, damp soils in winter.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Always nice when people share growing tips.

I think the issue here is the cold, damp soils in winter.

Glad to share Len, I much prefer a wet winter to keep the humidity up and nights warmer. Its worth trying Len, all good fun. :) Pete

My only plant was going really well, until I missed it with the hose...a couple of hot dry days and it was a crispy critter! I should have planted it out instead of leaving in a pot.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Dean, photos like yours are what made me plant 5 of these when I mostly have singles! Gorgeous! Maybe I need more!

Cindy Adair

Alas, too cold here in the winter

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What an awesomely gorgeous palm! Thanks for the photo, Dean. Pete, what are your summers like? Mine are long, hot and very humid with very little temperature drop overnight. My understanding is that this palm wants cool days and a significant temperature drops at night. So, I've never contemplated trying it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

So nice! Wish I could grow one... and if I could it would be closer to a dozen than one!

Andrew, now that I know "how they do best" here, I happily ordered 200 seed which Toby said are already in the mail :)

Daryl, time to get seed and when they have their 1st leaf"get em inground" as seedlings in a raised bed. :)

Cindy, plant more. I too think Deans are "Grand Advertisements " for Dictyocaryum lamarckianum, as soon as you see them you WANT Em. :) Cindy you planted your inground as seedlings too didnt you?

Dave, how cold does it get at yours?, they dont blemish at all in winter here,and they can grow in NZ easy enough.

Since Ceroxylons are an easy grow in parts of Cali , Dictyocaryum is " most certainly worth many trials" in Cali . :)

Meg, I just saw yr post, Summers are wet and warm here but the nights dont stay high, they drop, good friends have tried many times in Cairns FNQ and they didnt enjoy the hot nights, so heat is more of a problem than cold that folks are mentioning.

This is a palm i'm eager to try down on the ranch in Ecuador when we go back this summer. Problem has been finding a source for the seeds. It's native to both slopes of the Andes in Ecuador but I didn't see it near the ranch. I'll use your steps for success even though the ranch is in its native range. Never hurts to follow in the footsteps of past success.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

This is a palm i'm eager to try down on the ranch in Ecuador when we go back this summer. Problem has been finding a source for the seeds. It's native to both slopes of the Andes in Ecuador but I didn't see it near the ranch. I'll use your steps for success even though the ranch is in its native range. Never hurts to follow in the footsteps of past success.

Jake, look at the big add at the top here of "Discussing Palm Tress" press the RAREPALMSEEDS they have"Fresh Seed Right Now" and its cheap for this Stunning Palm, all best. Pete :)

Pete, just saw your post about ordering from Toby at RPS and I just placed an order. Talk about perfect timing!!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Thanks for the input, Pete. You confirmed what I read - SW FL is an absolute no-go for this species. Pity

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Pete, just saw your post about ordering from Toby at RPS and I just placed an order. Talk about perfect timing!!

And don't forget to tell Toby you are a "PalmTalker." And thank him for supporting PalmTalk with his ad. He supports us, we support him - that's known as a win-win. Let him know his ad is worth it.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

And don't forget to tell Toby you are a "PalmTalker." And thank him for supporting PalmTalk with his ad. He supports us, we support him - that's known as a win-win. Let him know his ad is worth it.

Hes well aware Im a Palm Talker Dean :) , I even emailed him this thread , Yes we are "very fortunate" to have "seeds of our desire" at the push of a button.,"Thanks Toby and RPS" for the "super service" and Many Thanks for "Supporting Palm Talk".. The ad is in commanding view which is fantastic thanks Palm Talk..Dean, thanks again for your "Beautiful Pics" Pete :)

Pete, I got only 10 seeds which did germinate well and I too would encourage everyone to try more seeds! However, when Jeff Marcus listed them I snapped those up and wish I'd gotten more as they are no longer on his list. I'll bet Toby will sell out too so order now!!! I know, I sound like one of those late night commercials that says "operators are standing by".....

Cindy Adair

Thanks for the great info Pete. I got a few to sprout from RPS awhile back, and got some from Jeff, but they all very quickly died. After seeing your

beautiful ones Dean, maybe I will try again. Could have been the hotter days here in Honolulu in comparison to Deans area and the Hilo side that did them in. I kept

them wet, maybe too much so. That huge monster one in Bill Langers pic are amazing.

aloha, Colin

Thanks for the great info Pete. I got a few to sprout from RPS awhile back, and got some from Jeff, but they all very quickly died. After seeing your

beautiful ones Dean, maybe I will try again. Could have been the hotter days here in Honolulu in comparison to Deans area and the Hilo side that did them in. I kept

them wet, maybe too much so. That huge monster one in Bill Langers pic are amazing.

aloha, Colin

Your welcome Colin, yes Deans pics of his very chunky colourful Dictyocaryums growing on what looks like pure rock is good proof Dcams love and are an easy grow for that part of the Big Island. I remember Bill Austin posting a pic of Bill Langers ( Bill Langers Monsters) Id LOVE to see a pic of the 'whole palm " though, it must be a site to behold :) All the best with your next trials Colin. Pete :)

Looking good Pete !

some great advice for those that can grow this palm.

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Interesting post on Cairns failure Pedro. I'm in Southern Costa Rica and have about three of these and one fried a few weeks back (it had the most sun exposure) and another is in a stasis (less exposure). The other, in deeper shade is throwing a new leaf so shade levels seem to be more causal for success in the tropical dry season (in the wet season these crank here - regardless of small differences in sun exposure). I also will note that the wind factor on the new leaf seedling is lower than the ones that died so this is probably causal as well.

Interesting post on Cairns failure Pedro. I'm in Southern Costa Rica and have about three of these and one fried a few weeks back (it had the most sun exposure) and another is in a stasis (less exposure). The other, in deeper shade is throwing a new leaf so shade levels seem to be more causal for success in the tropical dry season (in the wet season these crank here - regardless of small differences in sun exposure). I also will note that the wind factor on the new leaf seedling is lower than the ones that died so this is probably causal as well.

Hi Jason, yes plenty of keen growers from the Far Nth of Queensland have tried Dictyocaryum but to no avail, they all share the same problem for Dictyocaryum...they all are on the steamy lowlands, high altitude with cooler nights would be ideal in Far Nth Qld, just the same as Jeff ( Jeffin CostaRica) is having success now he is at higher altitude. Thanks for the pm and good luck with yours. Pete :)

Good post Pete! I got 7 out of ten seeds to germinate here (im an hour south of cairns, 20mins from the coast). Out of the seven, only two made it through the 3 leaf stage. I gave one to Lowey (how is yours going mate?)and kept one which is going slow but steady. I agree with you Pete, these things seem to like the cooler weather over the steamy tropics. I hope mine can get to the size of the ones in Hawaii as these are one of mine faves!

Good post Pete! I got 7 out of ten seeds to germinate here (im an hour south of cairns, 20mins from the coast). Out of the seven, only two made it through the 3 leaf stage. I gave one to Lowey (how is yours going mate?)and kept one which is going slow but steady. I agree with you Pete, these things seem to like the cooler weather over the steamy tropics. I hope mine can get to the size of the ones in Hawaii as these are one of mine faves!

Thanks Harry, hope your keeps going, great its still alive . I know Arden, Jeff F ( when he was at Cape trib) Mark D, Rob J and Terry M who are all good growers and know their stuff, couldnt get them past a certain stage, which would be a bummer but hey "Every other Palm" especially ALL the True Tropicals grow as fast as anything in the "Beautiful North" This would be a goer for Jan S, I wonder if she has tried? I will ask her next time I chat ..Harry, I hope good rains come for you all real soon and hope Xmas day is a WET one. Pete :)

Thanks Pete, we need the rain, I'm actually in sw Western Australia at the moment and the grass is greener here! Last time I spoke to Jan, (18months ago) she didn't have any but agree she would would have the perfect climate up there.

I started with 96 seed of which maybe 70 sprouted. Everything in pots died over an 18 month period. I put a eleven in the ground at the two leaf stage and now have seven plants which have done two winters. The ones that died were in extreme situations for evaluation purposes so really they are quite reliable so far at this early stage. I really wish I had put some in the ground earlier and will try direct sowing next time. None of mine are particularly pampered and grow on unamended clay banks but never see frost. They seem to like some sun and I will try full sun on a few next time just to see what happens. Unfortunately I haven't enjoyed the same growth rate as Pete but that is to be expected given my climate. If you are frost free they are worth a shot but can't vouch for what low humidity might do to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two of these in San Francisco, and they are sailing right through our winter. It's been a pretty mild, wet winter so far, but they look very much like they'll make it through really well. I got them from Jeff Marcus in June and since then the largest put on one leaf and is working on a second which started in November. The smaller is still working on it's first since arrival. The larger has really good color, and the smaller has not shown much more than green. They seem to like the cool summers we have and didn't miss a beat getting adjusted. If they do as well as I think they appear they will, they'll go in the ground in May, in relatively sheltered spots.

Larger:

post-3374-0-58580200-1357006041_thumb.jppost-3374-0-88497000-1357006077_thumb.jppost-3374-0-05610100-1357006107_thumb.jp

And the smaller:

post-3374-0-10329600-1357006148_thumb.jppost-3374-0-99492000-1357006158_thumb.jp

Larger up front, smaller in background:

post-3374-0-99492000-1357006158_thumb.jp

post-3374-0-44297700-1357006291_thumb.jp

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

I have two of these in San Francisco, and they are sailing right through our winter. It's been a pretty mild, wet winter so far, but they look very much like they'll make it through really well. I got them from Jeff Marcus in June and since then the largest put on one leaf and is working on a second which started in November. The smaller is still working on it's first since arrival. The larger has really good color, and the smaller has not shown much more than green. They seem to like the cool summers we have and didn't miss a beat getting adjusted. If they do as well as I think they appear they will, they'll go in the ground in May, in relatively sheltered spots.

Larger:

attachicon.gifP1000357.jpgattachicon.gifP1000359.jpgattachicon.gifP1000370.jpg

And the smaller:

attachicon.gifP1000360.jpgattachicon.gifP1000361.jpg

Larger up front, smaller in background:

attachicon.gifP1000361.jpg

Thom, thats "exciting stuff" for you and for other interested Dictyocaryum fans, its looking very healthy, love the purple starting to appear, its bound to love your climate and do even better when inground. All the best with them. Pete :)

Pete, Dean, and Thom, looking good. Such spectacular palms and thankfully I finally got some in the ground. Four for now and one more to go.

Here's the biggest one and already starting to show some nice color. The others are still small, but these tend to grow fast once in the ground.

post-1300-0-87817200-1357015753_thumb.jp post-1300-0-23891600-1357015756_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Pete, Dean, and Thom, looking good. Such spectacular palms and thankfully I finally got some in the ground. Four for now and one more to go.

Here's the biggest one and already starting to show some nice color. The others are still small, but these tend to grow fast once in the ground.

attachicon.gifIMG_3030.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_3032.jpg

Tim, its lookn real N I C E. post-1300-0-87817200-1357015753_thumb.jp:) Petepost-1300-0-23891600-1357015756_thumb.jp

Tim and Thom,

Your trees are gorgeous, too! I really enjoy seeing as many photos as possible of palm species at different ages and in different growing conditions. So if you grow them, show them! Oh, Happy New Year to all!

Cindy Adair

I don't understand how I missed this thread!

What an amazing looking palm. Is anyone else growing this in California besides tbearz (looks great by the way) ? I'm sure I get to dry, hot and to cold for this one but..........is there a chance???

Great thread Pete!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I don't understand how I missed this thread!

What an amazing looking palm. Is anyone else growing this in California besides tbearz (looks great by the way) ? I'm sure I get to dry, hot and to cold for this one but..........is there a chance???

Great thread Pete!

Order seed NOW from RPS while they are New and Fresh, plenty of seedlings is "much better' than buying 1 plant to "trial and error".. Pete :)

You on a % Pete?! Got my seed yesterday. I don't really need more plants but want to experiment so forked out for another 50.

You on a % Pete?! Got my seed yesterday. I don't really need more plants but want to experiment so forked out for another 50.

Rich, mine arrived yday, but I didnt get to the PO to sign for them till today :) even after quarantine did the usual and checked em out..( are all your parcels checked in NZ by your quarantine ? )

Good luck with all your seed, thats a quick delivery over the busy worldwide xmas posting period. Pete :)

( are all your parcels checked in NZ by your quarantine ? )

Good luck with all your seed, thats a quick delivery over the busy worldwide xmas posting period. Pete :)

Oh yes Pete, the system here can be way OTT, and you pay plenty for it but often it runs smoothly too. Race you to the first germination, after that I have no chance of keeping up! Just love growing anything from seed.