IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rest In Peace Richard DOUGLAS

PalmGuyWC

I told you guys last week it was Richard's birthday day

And it was a good one !! He got lots of phone calls and well wishes from all

of his friends

Well friday I had to rush him back to John Muir

and by yesterday after noon they took him off all the

anti biotics ect and He is now resting comfortably but in his

final time here on earth .. He could be around for another day but

essentialy he is gone

GOD BLESS RICHARD DOUGLAS !!

I KNOW SAINT PETER WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS !!

• Upvote 2

Richard Douglas

Sincere condolences.....my prayers are with you.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

This is so sad. He is a wonderful man and a great friend......I will miss him greatly.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

This is very sad news. Dick, with his beautiful garden, has been a very active and instrumental participant here on PalmTalk, and he will certainly be missed by us all. My thoughts go out to all those who were fortunate to have known him.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Farewell to Richard Douglas, he will be remembered here. It's sad to see another palm icon pass.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

So sad to hear.

Your loss is ours as well. RIP Mr. Douglas.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry to hear. Our condolences to his family.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

We love you Richard.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I am so sorry to hear this news. I was never fortunate enough to meet him. He has been an inspiration to us all in many regards.

Rest in peace and via con dios!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Sorry to hear this sad news. I hope he didn't suffer too much.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I never met Richard Douglas either but I saw photos of his fabulous garden. My prayers & best wishes to his friends & family. We will all miss him.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Dick was the first person to really open my eyes as to the real possibilities of a cold hardy palm garden. I will forever be grateful to him for that.

And to his friend, who has posted this and kept us informed, my deepest regrets and appreciation for your care of him. You were a true friend. I hope that you stay in touch with us in the future.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

So sorry to hear this news, and my condolences also to his family and yourself for letting us all know. I had the good fortune of visiting with Dick several times at his own garden, and it truly is a very special place with some incredible palms. He will be missed, but not ever forgotten.

I am sad to have never met the man, but Richard shall remain immortal here to be sure. And thank you, friend, for taking care of him till he is gone, gone to a bigger, better palm garden.

While not unexpected, it Will never be easy to witness the passing of Great people such as Richard... go in Peace Richard.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

THANK YOU PALM PEOPLE !!!

IM POSITIVE HE FELT ALL YOUR PRAYERS AND WELL WISHES !!!!

AS FOR ME JIM

HIS BEST FRIEND HIS LOVING COMPANION I AM TRULY HEART BROKEN

DEVASTATED IN FACT

BUT NO ONE SHOULD SUFFER WHAT HE ENDURED

LIKE THE TRUE CHAMPION HE WAS AND FOREVER WILL BE

I PLAN TO JOIN THE PALM SOCIETY IN HONOUR OF HIM

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND HAPPY THANKS GIVING !!

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

SORY PEOPLE

I THOUGHT SURE HE WAS GONE BUT IM KINDA BEING PUSHED ASIDE BY SOME OTHER INFLUENCES

HE IS STILL ALIVE BREATHING SLOWLY

IM SURE WHAT HE WANTS AND IS WAITING FOR IS TO BE BROUGHT HOME AND LAYED IN HIS OWN BED

BUT SOMEONE ELSE HOLDS ALL THE CARDS AND WONT LET THAT HAPPEN

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Terribly sad news. Life is so precious but yet seems so short. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. I have only seen pictures of his amazing garden and read his posts here on the forum and it was clear he had much wisdom and experience to impart in the palm world and I'm sure in life as well. Hopefully his beautiful garden will stand as a remembrance of him

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Very sad to hear this news about our Richard ! :crying:

Darold drove me all the way out to Dicks fabulous garden in 2010 and it was one of the highlights of my trip and it was the best collection of cold hardy palms i have ever seen .

Dick was an inspiration to anyone hesitant about starting a palm garden in marginal climates .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

R I P RICHARD THE LION HEARTED DOUGLAS !

RICHARD PASSED AWAY PEACEFULLY LAST NIGHT AROUND 930

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

He will be in our prayers.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Thank you Jim, for all you did and will do, Richard had a good friend in you.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Richard was absoultely and by far the very best friend I ever had .

I met him in 1999 thru a mutual friend and was amazed and awed by

his beatiful garden and his genuine personality . As the years went by I would visit with him

weekly sometimes daily and there was always a laugh , or a drama or something

going on at the Douglas residence . My little grey and black poodle would often beg

me to take him to uncle Dick's place where he would sit on someones lap and stare out

thee kitchen window lookn for a squirrel and as soon as he saw one it was off to chase him .

Then in 2001 my girlfriend and I wanted to goto Hawaii for a few weeks and Dick gracefully

offered to take care of Hercules ( the poodle ) .. I dont think a dog ever had a kennel so gracious .

then about a year later old Herc got run over and killed .. again Dick to the rescue .. We burried the little guy

out in back of the back bed .. It was soooo sad but i knew his finale resting place was the best any

little squirrel dog could ask for ..

Any way Richard and I became the best of friends and it 2005 when i got kicked out from living with her

he invited me to stay with him and the rest is history .. We never had a harsh word . never argued ,

and always seemed to just fit together . He needed an honest friend and I needed a place to live and love

he provided both . it was just so easy to love Richard

I LOVE YOU RICHARD AND WILL NEVER STOP MISSING YOU !!!

PS He hated me saying i love you

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Thank you Jim for letting us know that Richard has passed away. I can only imagine how sad this time is for you having lost a good friend and close companion.

I have thought of Richard often since his surgery especially when I'm out in my backyard and see my own palms. I'm sorry Dick's last months were not easy but am sure having you around to help him out meant the world to him. Glad he got to hear from so many people during that time. I regret circumstances prevented me from seeing his garden when he extended his gracious offer to visit and feel I missed out meeting a very special guy who will be remembered here for a long time to come. Hopefully the photos of him and his garden tours and various posts will be around for years to come as well. It would be a shame if the board ever goes down and palm people lose out on sharing in Dick's garden and knowledge.

I lost an uncle on Thanksgiving Day a number of years ago and always remember him each year when we sit down to eat. Dick will be remembered now as well.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Blue Skies Dick, you will be missed!

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

My sincere condolences. Five years ago my wife threw me a surprise birthday party here at the house. And boy was I shocked, and surprise to see Dick show up all the way from California. A real nice person and passionate about palms, Dick you will be missed!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It is so sad to lose a man who contributed so much to our lives with his hospitality, generosity, his palm introductions, his beautifully designed garden, and his stories. I felt like he was a long-lost family member whenever I was in his company. The collection of hardy palms he assembled must be one of the best and most mature in North America.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

We'll miss Dick's friendly and gracious hospitality. He was a great man in so many ways. I had the honor of visiting his incredible garden twice and was mesmerized by the variety and size of so many of his palms. He continually experimented and his hybrids can't be beat. I was extremely happy to have him to my garden as well. Where Dick is now, he'll be able to surround himself with the most tropical and the lushest of palms anywhere to be sure! Dick's posts here on the forum were some of the most interesting and I always read his first whenever they appeared. We'll miss him so much.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I will miss my friend Dick Douglas.

A few months ago, the Northern California Palm Society presented him with a plaque as a tribute to his dedication to our group. It read:

Richard Douglas

President emeritus of the International Palm Society, founding member of the Northern California chapter, patron of palms, and gracious host to many meetings,

we honor and thank you, Richard, for your lifetime of service to palm horticulture.

Richard Quiroz, President

Northern California Palm Society

October 7th, 2012

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 months later...

I just logged in for the first time in a while and heard this sad news.

Although i didn't know him i feel like i do, through having spent many hours looking over 1000s of photos of his garden.
I hope that this amazing place will now be looked after by someone who has respect for what he has created.

RIP.

• 3 weeks later...

Dick's memorial was held at his home on Feb 9th. His ashes were spread in his garden so that he could remain with his palms.

It was a good memorial on a pleaseant day, the kind of which was appropriate for him and his many friends who attended.

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

• 1 month later...

I never got to meet Dick or see Dicks garden in person. It was a dream I had that I regretfully never acted on. When I first joined palmtalk in 2007, I followed his posts closely because he was a 9a cold hardy gardener like me, but unlike me, very knowledgable. Dick was a very wise, kind, and gentle man to the ignorant, inexperienced growers like myself. He set the bar for the way to treat and advise others in their quest for information. Sometimes when I research a topic and an old thread comes up, I will see Dicks comments and it feels as if he is still here. I hope those posts will remain here for the knowledge of all palm enthusiasts. RIP Dick, you were one of the kindest and classiest members on the board, a gentlemans gentleman...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank