IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spotting on Adonidias

ruskinPalms

Hi,

All of my Adonidia's have this spotting on the leaves that eventually leaves a hole. And the trunks look funky too. They had these spots all summer so I don't think it is cold damage. Also one I have potted with good soil has them too plus I fertilze them all with palm fertilizer with micro nutrients. None have seemed to slow down in growth however and keep firing out spears. Could it be a disease or fungus?

Thanks,

Bill

Top:

IMG_2295Large.jpg

Bottom

IMG_2294Large.jpg

Trunks:

IMG_2302Large.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I get similar spots on my Ptychosperma elegans every year, usually in the winter. I attribute mine to a leaf spot fungus. The P. elegans get no morning sun, and the heavy dews that we get here in Southwest Fla. during the winter sit on the leaves for hours. I have a similar problem with parts of my yard that don't get morning sun. I deduced this from noticing where mildew forms on roofs around here -- always worse on the side that gets no morning sun. Whatever, it doesn't seem to cause any long term damage, although it definitely detracts from the look of the palms.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Could be a boron deficiency.  Do your fertilizers have boron in 'em?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's a classic fungus spot. Maybe helmenthasporium( probably not spelled right). It needs to be sprayed with a good fungicide. Is this palm getting watered from an over-head sprinkler? If so, you need to adjust it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill, Jeff would know better than me so definately take his advice over mine.  As far as Boron as a micro; Nutricote and other palm specific fertilizers usually have it in it already.  You can spray a Boric Acid/water mixture onto the leaves of a deficient palm but too much Boron is toxic so a well balanced fertilizer is probably your best bet if you ever do get a Boron deficiency.......or a Moron deficiency :D   I don't even know what that means.   No offense. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Jeff, Unfortunately I don't think that I can adjust the sprinklers all that much. There are these cylinders that pop up about 3" above the ground and fire away to height og about 3 feet. Will water from the sprinklers rot my palms  ??? The good news is that the palms should grow above that height in the future. Matty, no moron deficiency here, I have plenty of that and then some  :P

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Most likely the sprinklers hitting this palm will not kill it. It would just be nice to keep as much water of the leaves as possible. And make sure you are not watering too much. I would spray it with a fungicide at least twice over the next 3-4 weeks. But control the water.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill, you probably already have thought about this, but you can adjust the spray by turning the little screw on the top of the nozzle.  Decreasing the flow rate might lower the angle.  Might be worth a try.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"