IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Arizona Winter Outlook

chris78

...Winter Outlook Briefing...

I hope this link works..

Shows Southern Cali and Arizona having a warm winter with uncertin rainfall...

Edited by chris78

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

• 2 months later...

I generally don’t like reporting on cold damage just after a freeze… Have learned from the past it can take months before you really know. Palms that look ok after a freeze my stop growing and die in the summer… Palms that look dead, may jump back to life in the summer heat!!!

I do try growing way to many tropical palms!!! But I do get lucky sometimes…

My low in the open areas got to about 21F ….under my jungle, it varied from spot to spot… with most areas getting to around 25F or so…

For example I had a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana var. illawarra that got 90% burn while a another one 30 feet away was undamaged!!!! Crazier than that, the one that got the 90% burn, a Euterpe edulis right next to it only got 50% burn!!!! That’s not all… a small Ptychosperma salomonense 3 feet away was undamaged and it was 3 feet away from a Ptychosperma elegans that loss all it leaflets while the petioles stayed alive….

Palms that were in the open, got some kind of damage unless they were of the hardy types. The most interesting outcome was Syagrus “abreijos” which got 80% burn… So far this palm which looks like a robust queen is not as hardy as the regular queens.. its still small, about 3 feet tall. While Parajubaea torallyi was not damage at all in the open. But a Livistona lanuginosa a few feet away got 40% burned…

My Acrocomia aculeata in the open got 90% burn, the one in the jungle area did not get damage as far as I can see…

Of the New Caledonia palms I am growing: All in the jungle area....

Cyphophoenix elegans did the best with zero damage.. .

Kentiopsis oliviformis did the second best with most plants only getting 25% or less burn…

Chambeyronia macrocarpa came in third… getting from zero damage to 75% damage

Cyphophoenix nucele came in fourth place, with the two plants I got getting about 60% plus, damage…

Burretiokentia hapala did the worse with most leaves damage or destroyed… but it should recover..

One of the palms I feel I loss is a Calyptronoma rivalis I knew I was really pushing my luck with this one.. I can say its grew well all summer.... Its loves heat!!!!

Edited by chris78

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

pretty sure i have never heard of any of those palms. After googling them, I want them all....

However, there is no canopy in my backyard yet. Any of them in full sun?

4 nights - 26,25,25,28F. Minimal to no protection.Several Cuban Royals total defoliation;expect them to come back.Triangle palm has total burn on 6 out of 7 fronds.Only the newest frond shows green.Large Pseudophoenix vinifera has 30% burn while several unprotected Pseudophoenix sargentii are undamaged.Archontophoenix alexandrae total defoliation under canopy but is already opening a new frond.Coccothrinax montana - out of (3 ) 2 ft tall plants;1 had little damage,1 had 1 frond totally frozen,and 1 looks totally dead.Genetic variation? Chambeyronia macrocarpa has 50% burn but will survive. Kentiopsis oliviformis and pyriformis had no damage.2 Carpentaria acuminata looked fine after the event but are now showing about 50% damage each. Several Bismarckias zero damage.Ptychosperma elegans and salomonense had no damage.Foxtails are 50% fried but will recover.Most Copernicias had burned tips while most Coccothrinax had no visible damage.Ravenea xerophyla has tip burn on all but the newest frond.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

^ Was all this with or without protection? Sounds like a great collection!

The plants reported above were unprotected other than under my jungle canopy... The palms that I protected by covering was two Cuban Royals and they were both defoliation. The other palm I protected was my Veitchia arecina it had about 8 feet of trunk.. I did not protect the leaves but only the crown shift .....It loss all its leaves but the center spike is alive.... :yay:

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

pretty sure i have never heard of any of those palms. After googling them, I want them all....

However, there is no canopy in my backyard yet. Any of them in full sun?

Syagrus “abreijos, Parajubaea torallyi , Livistona lanuginosa and Acrocomia aculeata all can take full sun.. Parajubaea torallyi may take time to ajust to full sun... The others can tolerate full sun even as young plants...

Of the New Caledonia palms Cyphophoenix elegans and Kentiopsis oliviformis are the most sun tolerant...but I would not put them in full desert sun... They seem to tolerate part shade ok.. The other New Caledonia palms are not real sun tolerant in the desert and should be growen in mostly shade...

Edited by chris78

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

Do you have any pictures of your jungle canopy before the cold? I would love to see it. Need some motivation after all this cold weather.

I wanna play! 25,26,23,28, and 30 here. Beccariophx alfredii, coccothrinax alba, Cryosophila and of corse the great Tor-tors-all zero damage. Disappointed w the damage on my carpentarias but completely uncovered and "not dead yet!"

"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates now that we are a month past the freeze? I lost a few small foxtails but thats about it. Everyone else is pretty ugly but pushing new growth.

• 1 month later...

MKIVRYAN,

A few months after the cold temperatures here is the result of my yard in Avondale

Most Damage:

Believe it or not, the mexican fan palms. They were burned to a crisp, evidence took a long time to show, however, they are growing back fast. Two showed no damage at all. Perhaps micro climates played a role.

Triangle palm about 6 feet tall lost all but one leaf, burned. The center spear stayed green, and was about 6 inches tall. Now that spear is about 4 ft tall, with multiple fronds emerging. It will look good by mid summer. Already looks better with the brown stuff cutt off. I did cover this plant and wrapped with lights. However, i did a crappy job covering it and didn't really care after the second night as the wind in the day shifted the covers.

Moderate Damage:

Most of the pigmys palms had the tops fried, some had no damage. They are already emerging new green fronds.

Bismarkia Palm lost two random giant fronds, but still looks really good.

Queen palms had some leaf burn, but most have already thrown out two dark green lush fronds. Micro Nutrient application has really helped I believe to green them up. I'm going to shoot for once a month micro application this summer to have the nicest queen palms in PHX. I only have 4 total. One solo plant and a triple near the pool. So really shouldn't be too much of a pain.

No damage:

Brahea Armatas, two little guys about three and two feet tall with little trunks forming. Nada single defect

L. Chinensis not a single blemish. Its throwing out some new leaves about 6 feet tall, with 8 inch trunks. It was a houseplant for ten years. Been in ground for three years now on north side of fence, gets full sun in summer, and doesn't burn at all. Maybe because it gets lots of water being next to solo queen plus lots of fert and micros.

Sabal Blackburniania throwing out a frond right now that is HUGE. Holy moly this thing looks like it might be huge someday.

Beccariophoenix Alfredii not a single issue. It is a little chlorotic, prolly cause its in full shade in winter time. Its about 1 foot tall, and a new leaf is emerging. It only gets about a couple hours of sun right now. Planted on the north side of a block fence. When summer time rolls it will be in full sun. Its been in the ground a year from a bare rooted plant. Hoping this is the year for some growth. I've been feeding it and giving it some micros just to give it a head start.

Brahea Brandegeei survived. I bought it at a huge discount and it looked like crap, planted a year ago. Put out a few fronds last year, starting to put new growth. The old growth still looks ugly, but i'm sure it will look better once the heat comes.

Cuban royal palms look the same. I covered with a tarp and wrapped with lights. No damage, but very easy to protect since they are about 4 feet tall. I planted them next to each other just because i thought for sure i would lose one, so i'd still have a palm tree with space to grow, but both have survived and pushing some new growth. They are not impressive looking at all right now tho. Shipping last year took a toll on thier appearance and hopefully with water and fertilizer i can get them to look like a nice little palm by end of summer.

Med. Fan palms, no damage.

Butia palms no damage. 3 of the four look great. One seems to have an issue with frizzle top i believe. Poured some micros down the grown as a foliar spray. Hopefully it makes it as I like the look of these palms when they get big.

Non palms

all hibiscus killed to ground, but didn't lose a single plant. Some colors do better like the pink lip stick and the presidents colors. Those plants grow very fast getting over 6 feet tall in the summer even after cutting them down to 3 feet. Also seem to have the best overall look with leaf color and bloom frequency. The other colors I have seem to not really look all that good. Most are planted as a hedge on the east side along my house getting shade in the summer after 2 or so.

Plumeria tree about 3 feet tall with three branches on top was totally fine, even still had leaves at the end of the freeze, BUT, i didn't remove the tarp when it got warm and I cooked it. When i removed the tarp in the sun it was really hot and I was pretty bummed that I didn't remove it sooner. I new better. But now it is showing signs of 4 new branches forming. Pretty cool since i thought i killed it. Planted on west facing wall of house or the wall of death. It actually seems to thrive cause it bloomed all summer long. Its a white flower with yellow centers i bought. Not sure what the name is of this plumeria.

That's it. Pretty sure i'm not going to plant anymore exotic types of palms for now since its already a lot of work protecting what I have. I would love to have more exotic palms for this area, but not sure i have the drive to want a high maintenance winter protection schedule. Per haps as the bullet proof palms in the yard get bigger, more suitable micro climates will emerge, and I can plant some other species that will have some overhead protection. But, that might take 5 more years. For now, i'm pretty happy with what i have achieved.

I generally don’t like reporting on cold damage just after a freeze… Have learned from the past it can take months before you really know. Palms that look ok after a freeze my stop growing and die in the summer… Palms that look dead, may jump back to life in the summer heat!!!

I do try growing way to many tropical palms!!! But I do get lucky sometimes…

My low in the open areas got to about 21F ….under my jungle, it varied from spot to spot… with most areas getting to around 25F or so…

For example I had a Archontophoenix cunninghamiana var. illawarra that got 90% burn while a another one 30 feet away was undamaged!!!! Crazier than that, the one that got the 90% burn, a Euterpe edulis right next to it only got 50% burn!!!! That’s not all… a small Ptychosperma salomonense 3 feet away was undamaged and it was 3 feet away from a Ptychosperma elegans that loss all it leaflets while the petioles stayed alive….

Palms that were in the open, got some kind of damage unless they were of the hardy types. The most interesting outcome was Syagrus “abreijos” which got 80% burn… So far this palm which looks like a robust queen is not as hardy as the regular queens.. its still small, about 3 feet tall. While Parajubaea torallyi was not damage at all in the open. But a Livistona lanuginosa a few feet away got 40% burned…

My Acrocomia aculeata in the open got 90% burn, the one in the jungle area did not get damage as far as I can see…

Of the New Caledonia palms I am growing: All in the jungle area....

Cyphophoenix elegans did the best with zero damage.. .

Kentiopsis oliviformis did the second best with most plants only getting 25% or less burn…

Chambeyronia macrocarpa came in third… getting from zero damage to 75% damage

Cyphophoenix nucele came in fourth place, with the two plants I got getting about 60% plus, damage…

Burretiokentia hapala did the worse with most leaves damage or destroyed… but it should recover..

One of the palms I feel I loss is a Calyptronoma rivalis I knew I was really pushing my luck with this one.. I can say its grew well all summer.... Its loves heat!!!!

THE UPDATE AS OF APRIL 5, 2013...............

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana var. illawarra: started to recover

Euterpe edulis : starting to grow

Ptychosperma salomonense : was defoliated, but new leaf is coming out...

Ptychosperma elegans : died :rant:

Syagrus “abreijos” : Less damage then reported above... with only about 25% burn... so much like other queen palms... (it was exposed to 21-22F in the open)

Parajubaea torallyi : started growing about a month ago..

Livistona lanuginosa : loss all leaves over time....100%..... but starting to grow...

Acrocomia aculeata : starting to grow new leaves

Cyphophoenix elegans : never damaged and started growing back in late Feb.

Kentiopsis oliviformis : started growing

Chambeyronia macrocarpa : 3 plants..... 2 smallest were defoliated... the largest was damaged by 1/3... The smallest ??? the largest looks ok ...

Cyphophoenix nucele : 2 plants, both defoliated ... still some life it them, but not sure if they will recover!!!

Burretiokentia hapala : slowly went down hill... don't think it will recover... it was just a small 3 gal plant... :rant:

Calyptronoma rivalis : DEAD DEAD DEAD.... :crying::rant:

Cuban Royals : 2 plants both about 5' tall.... one died the other is recovering

Veitchia arecina : was 100% defoliated, trying to recover... not sure if it will!!!

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Parks.gif

• 4 years later...

Chris, do you have an update on how these palms are doing now, almost four years later? Have any died since? (If so, why? Cold?)  Thanks.

SL, you may need to send a PM to @chris78, since he hasn't logged in here since '14.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 89°, Lo 53°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego