IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ifanadianae

Gtlevine

Of all the palms I saw in habitat in Madagascar, Dypsis ifanadianae was my favorite. The first photo is the mother palm I found in Madagascar, the second photo is my only seedling of Ifanadianae and it is beginning to take off now.

DSC_0682.jpg

My seedling

Ifanadianae.jpg

Edited by Gtlevine
  • Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Cool Gary. I'll trade you a Lavoixia macrocarpa for it :)

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

In reality, that trade may not be bad... :DB)

Very glad you posted pix finally Gary! Thanx!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hmmmmm, no thanks! Lavoixia is pretty cool though, thats a rare one. :)

Matt

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Cool palm Gary. I've never heard of that one before. Kinda reminds me of euterpe. What color was the crownshaft? On my iPad it looks a little purple.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Your correct, colorful crownshaft, emerald green trunk and enormous long leaves with pendulous leaflets.

Cool palm Gary. I've never heard of that one before. Kinda reminds me of euterpe. What color was the crownshaft? On my iPad it looks a little purple.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Matt

That would be a very foolish move on your part. There are many trees of this Dypsis and it's just a .........."matter of time" when someone finds ripe seed of this and can ship it out. On the other hand, how many of the Lavoixia are floating around?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Matt

That would be a very foolish move on your part. There are many trees of this Dypsis and it's just a .........."matter of time" when someone finds ripe seed of this and can ship it out. On the other hand, how many of the Lavoixia are floating around?

Matt was joking. Plus, I have an inside track on one of those Lavoixia. :)

There has been a strand of Ifanadianae located, it is just a matter of time as you say. I hope they are brought in soon so everyone can have it in their gardens, it is truly a stunning dypsis when seen in person.

Gary

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Matt

Gary

You do? Sweet. Is it the same guy growing up your Ifanadianae? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Matt

Also Jeff, the Dypsis labeled as such at NongNooch, WERE NOT this palm!. I talked to JD and he said this palm is EXTREMELY rare and hard to get to. And several of the ones he knew of had been cut down..

Gary, You should take a SIDE shot to show the difference, as there were scads labeled as this at NongNooch, but they were all the Dypsis highland mealybug (whichever palm that turns out to be).... so JD said there was a "ever slight possibility it could be ifandanae, but not likely".

In profile, the two seedlings look completely different. B)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Also Jeff, from my readings about both, they are about equal amounts in habitat, and equally hard to get seeds of.

Matt

Gary

You do? Sweet. Is it the same guy growing up your Ifanadianae? :)

LOL!

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great Palm, thanks for sharing and giving us something to look forward to.

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Distribution in PoM looks awfully tropical.... Great picture though, the one in the book is not very flattering. Sadly not permitted entry into NZ.

Well, I did not want to open up another dypsis can of worms, but now that you brought up the palms of madagascar photo I will go ahead. The palm I posted in habitat is south of Ronamafana, not the real tropical region like Masoala. There were only two palms there, one other like the one I have pictured. At the time I assumed this was ifanadianae since no other palms are described from this area. But like you I have seen numerous photos of dypsis ifanadaianae and they don't look that much like the two palms I have seen. So i'm wondering if the palm I have pictured and my seedling are a new species not described? I don't really know.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Great habitat photo Gary, and sweet little seedling, thanks for adding the location information I'll get the photos and info entered in Palmpedia straight away, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Great habitat photo Gary, and sweet little seedling, thanks for adding the location information I'll get the photos and info entered in Palmpedia straight away, Ed

One thing you should know and I have said this to Dean, the large palm first pictured on palmpedia is not dypsis ifanadianae, it is the true dypsis nauseosa. you have two or three of these picture on the bottom of the page also. There has been so much confusion because dypsis nauseosa from a distance looks similar to ifanadianae. If you look in POM you will see the palms you have on palm pedia as ifanadianae are in fact nauseosa.

Gary

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

One thing you should know and I have said this to Dean, the large palm first pictured on palmpedia is not dypsis ifanadianae, it is the true dypsis nauseosa. you have two or three of these picture on the bottom of the page also. There has been so much confusion because dypsis nauseosa from a distance looks similar to ifanadianae. If you look in POM you will see the palms you have on palm pedia as ifanadianae are in fact nauseosa.

Gary

So the 2 by Kim, and the 2 by Bill, and the one by you at the top of the page are nauseosa?

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Gary

So the 2 by Kim, and the 2 by Bill, and the one by you at the top of the page are nauseosa?

Large photo by me at top is Nauseosa. For the lower photos the top row left photo is Nauseosa. In the middle row the two photos on the right are nauseosa. The rest are ifanadianae. If you blow up one of my photos of nauseosa and of ifanadianae you can see the difference. Ifanadianae has a green ringed trunk and color crownshaft, nauseosa has a gray woody trunk. When you look at how the leaves are arranged it's easy to distinguish as well. Also, my name is spelled Le Vine.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Got it Gary, you'd think I could at least spell your name right, please let me know if you spot anything else, I sure appreciate the help, all the changes have been made, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 2 years later...

Looks like this palm is now available; any ideas on the soil it likes? Any chance this one can grow in South Florida?

Matt

Also Jeff, the Dypsis labeled as such at NongNooch, WERE NOT this palm!. I talked to JD and he said this palm is EXTREMELY rare and hard to get to. And several of the ones he knew of had been cut down..

Gary, You should take a SIDE shot to show the difference, as there were scads labeled as this at NongNooch, but they were all the Dypsis highland mealybug (whichever palm that turns out to be).... so JD said there was a "ever slight possibility it could be ifandanae, but not likely".

In profile, the two seedlings look completely different. cool.png

Well, kinda happy this was bumped as I had forgot the name on the palms all over at the NongNooch... "those" ifanadiane/highyland mealy bug are now known as D. nauseosa.

The side note is I'm still a bit suspect about ifanadiane availability based on Gary's comments above.

Its not a available. I heard through the grapevine that Jeff Marcus may have gotten a small quantity of 70 seeds. Not sure about the confirmation of those. The plants in habitat i saw close to civilization were cut down. If someone got seed they would have had to make a brutal trek into very tough scrub to get to existing plants. I have also heard that there are only a couple dozen plants maximum still in habitat.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

On April 26, 2015 at 6:38:30 PM, Gtlevine said:

Its not a available. I heard through the grapevine that Jeff Marcus may have gotten a small quantity of 70 seeds. Not sure about the confirmation of those. The plants in habitat i saw close to civilization were cut down. If someone got seed they would have had to make a brutal trek into very tough scrub to get to existing plants. I have also heard that there are only a couple dozen plants maximum still in habitat.

I am not sure if what Marcus received and sells as Ifanadiane is the real deal or not, but I can say it is SLOW. If anyone was growing Dypsis leucomalla and said "Wouldn't it be great to get another Dypsis as slow this?", well you got your wish.

By the way, the pic of the seedling Gary started this thread with is turning out to be an Onily. :crying:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin