IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who says you need a germinating medium?

Kamipalms

It's probably been a good couple of weeks since I've checked my seeds for germination

Heres what I found today...

youngchammies.jpg

It appears that as long as there is moisture , germinating seeds realy don't care!

J.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Interesting way you've divided your community bucket; I tried a similar method on an already divided 'color flat' with 4 species of Coccothrinax - one day, it was knocked over and everything got scrambled. No big deal - by the time I'm able to identifiy what's what, they may be worth something

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Am I looking at the date right, did you sow those seeds last October?

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

no I think he sowed them on the 10th day of a month. I think the US is the odd one out yet again with our Month Day Year, rather than the day month year. Amazing stuff Jason.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Yes , your right Zac. Never figured out why you guys go month/day/year ?

Logolight, they were sown 10/5/06 - thats day/month/year and the ones on the bottom left were sown on the 30/6/06 just for  a growth idea.

Danny,

I just divided everything with plant tags- I hadn't considered what would happen if it was knocked over...EeeeK!

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

Jason- Don't know why we do it that way either. The only yhting I can think of is rebellion against the Crown? Perhaps its an old thing they did to rub the Brits nose in the fact we won the Revolutionary War? Who knows.

Zac

Zac  

I guess we're getting off the topic here, but I believe the explanation is much simpler. In normal talk, a date (here in the USA) is almost always referred to as (for instance) September 10th, 2006, so modifying it to all numbers, it becomes 9-10-06. As far as I know, the USA is the only country that concistently uses this system. (In Sweden, for instance, you would say 10th September 2006 - in Swedish of course..., which becomes 10-9-06).

Incidentally, the official international way is year-month-day, i.e. 2006-09-10, which doesn't really lend itself to "normal speech", but it's great when you add date information in a database, because the computer will automatically sort on year, then month and finally the day.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jason, so you just lay the seed on top and do not cover up with more medium?  Do you sterilize the medium via microwave or something?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I had some Livistonas chinensis seeds that my son and I had collected and put in a ziplock bag.  The sealed bag (with nothing but the seeds, maybe 15 of them) got lost in my sons room for a couple months.  When cleaning out his room we found it and several seeds had sprouted.  So I guess in some cases, no medium, and no moisture other than the thin fruit on the seed.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(bgl @ Sep. 11 2006,00:39)

I guess we're getting off the topic here, but I believe the explanation is much simpler. In normal talk, a date (here in the USA) is almost always referred to as (for instance) September 10th, 2006, so modifying it to all numbers, it becomes 9-10-06. As far as I know, the USA is the only country that concistently uses this system. (In Sweden, for instance, you would say 10th September 2006 - in Swedish of course..., which becomes 10-9-06).

Incidentally, the official international way is year-month-day, i.e. 2006-09-10, which doesn't really lend itself to "normal speech", but it's great when you add date information in a database, because the computer will automatically sort on year, then month and finally the day.

Thanks Bo. I guess I was just over-thinking about it. Oh well, no harm meant towards the Crown and to any British people out there in cyperspace.

Zac

Zac  

(MattyB @ Sep. 12 2006,01:25)

Jason, so you just lay the seed on top and do not cover up with more medium?  Do you sterilize the medium via microwave or something?

Hey Matty,

I usually only just cover the seeds with the medium but with the container their in , a lot of condensation falls from the inside of the lid and washes it away.... they don't seem too bothered by it.

I sterilize EVERYTHING. The medium is Coco peat and I buy the compressed blocks and expand with boiling water. The blocks are suppose to be sterile but just to be sure....

J.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

I am curious as to what species ar you germinating in there Jason?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Aww..C'mon Frank!

I'm sure you can guess.... theres only 100 odd species to choose from .....

Seriously, I've scrubbed out the tags for the reason their a "new" species and I don't wish to make claim to having anything untill it can be properly identified.

- all in good time.

Heres a pic of the same taken on the 18/8/06 ( thats day/month/year for the northeners)

18-8-06seeds.jpg

Jason.

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

-What's that one in there?

-That's a Chamaedorea "velocirraptor"

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes