IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

One of my COCOS - 1 year old

BobbyinNY

Here is a cocos I bought last year around the same time at Ikea.... It was about a foot... Now it's about 5ft tall

post-57-1152639303_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

noice! Those leaves look well spread.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ikea, huh?

Now THERE's  a noteworth palm nursery . . . :)  (I picture them being off-loaded in Manhattan from a dragon-prowed longship.  Sorrry, been a long day!)

Seriously, though, I hope it grows for you long enough to make it to when you move to the deep south . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Don't tell me you're going to plant it in the ground!!!

No.. lol....... of course not.... I'll just do what I do with the rest of my Tropical collection... Greenhouse winter, outside spring/summer/early fall

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jul. 11 2006,13:35)

Here is a cocos I bought last year around the same time at Ikea.... It was about a foot... Now it's about 5ft tall

Hi Bobby,

I'm surprised that you can let hem grow at your place. The sell here a lot of cocos palms, little one for the living room inside the house. But most of the time, the live here only 1 year, outside and inside.

Greetz robbin

Southwest

Hi Bobby,

I'm surprised that you can let hem grow at your place. The sell here a lot of cocos palms, little one for the living room inside the house. But most of the time, the live here only 1 year, outside and inside.

Greetz robbin

Robbin,

I have a greenhouse.... Cocos is definitely not an indoor plant unless you have Metal Halide or HPS light. They need ALOT of sun and warmth.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jul. 13 2006,22:42)

Hi Bobby,

Greetz robbin

Robbin,

I have a greenhouse.... Cocos is definitely not an indoor plant unless you have Metal Halide or HPS light. They need ALOT of sun and warmth.

Hi Bobby,

I have also al greenhouse where i put some plants in containers in winter time ... But the greenhouse is in winter time between the 5 and 10 C (40-50 F) in the nights ... Because i use a heater.

How warm do you keep your greenhouse ? because if i place the coconut into the greenhouse they also die ..

Southwest

How warm do you keep your greenhouse ? because if i place the coconut into the greenhouse they also die

Robbin,

I keep my greenhouse about 75f/day, 65f/night during winter.. sometimes when it gets really cold outside (15f) it'll drop to like 55f

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS