IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Latania lontaroides at 9 & 16 years

David Clulow

I purchased 3 seedlings of Latania lontaroides in March 1996 and they were planted in the arboretum in July 1997, here is a photo of them taken in June 2005 at 9 years:

cd54d369.jpg

This is a photo taken yesterday at 16 years

11d74fc7.jpg

That is Rudy my long time assistant, since the first photo in 2005 he has got married, produced two children and put on some weight ! Since 2005 one of the plants was in infested with a leaf cutting ant colony which was not removed quickly enough and the plant died. However, we were lucky as we still have one male and one female, the one above is the female and here is the male

20cf9088.jpg

The leaves have a lovely velvety texture on the lower surface which in rhododendrons such as R. yakushimanun would be called an indumentum - is this term used for palms ? and if not what do we call it?

ef3aeca9.jpg

• Upvote 3

c57ae753.jpg

Here is a photo of the male inflorescence

and here is a close up of the seeds

aef9081a.jpg

Here you can see the interesting swelling a the base

536f2584.jpg

• Upvote 2

I love Latanias, thank you so much for posting, they look great.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

Thanks for your comments

To the group

On my profile on the left it states that I have 0 warning points, I have checked in the archives and cann't find any reference to this - could someone kindly explain and tell me why I don't see this on other profiles ?

On a lighter note - does anyone know the name of the fruit circled in white here. It is the size of a small orange and quite good tasting, but I have far too many. Hundreds, if not thousands of the fruits under the trees - our monkeys cannot eat that many. It is not a native tree - so who knows - this is a quiz !

ec02b27e.jpg

• Upvote 1

David, the fruit looks like Santol (Sandoricum koetjape) and it's Asian, However there is a chance I could be wrong because it's so bloody hard to see in that photo. However the leaves and fruit match the tree growing in my garden. So what do I win?

By the way, this year I planted my first two Latania (red hybrid and verschaffeltii) and I look forward to them getting to the size of yours.

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

David,

Thanks for the wonderful photos of Latania, especially the images of flowers and fruit.

Yes indumentum is used in the palm world to describe the felt like covering on leaves, and petioles in particular

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I love these palms too and in fact rather like them without a trunk, not just saying this because mine after ten years still have no trunk but the leaves are much more intensly silver and larger in juveniles. I also have the red variety (its not a hybrid is it?) and they seem much faster growing having a foot or so of trunk after the same time.

Thanks for showing these.

No idea about the fruit.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

• 3 years later...

BUMMP!:drool:

I love these palms!

Here's a pic of my little ones.

IMG_20160210_2390.thumb.jpg.f622525577ba

This pic is before winter. I had them in full sun and I think I let the soil dry up too much they dont look too nice. They look a bit sunburned. I'll take a pic of them tomorrow. 

I've got a baby giant in the yard.  It grew quite a bit in the last year, thanks to mild winter weather and a long, hot fall.  Our climate is such that it might freeze to death before it gets really big.  

Latania_Feb_16_(1_of_1).jpg

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us