IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

xbutyagrus Mule palm

ErikSJI

Ill get a close up for you. You can see the clear trunk in one of the photos. The upper trunk has a bunch of epiphytic ferns on it. I have a thread started to see if people think its a lax leaf butia or a mule.

Thanks Doc. But from that angle it looks butia to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Erik, have you had much success with the Jubaea x Syagrus cross? I have seen pics of that one maturing and IMO it has very nice cocoid fronds compared to the butia x syagrus.

Doc I have only been able to get pollen of the Jubaea once and it was not processed or shipped correctly. I have requested many times for the pollen of Jubaea and Parajubaea here on palmtalk but have not had any luck.

Double Mule palm 3 gallon Shipped to your door for $70.00 fully rooted. Shipping included in price.

post-1930-0-21312300-1370104950_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a nice Uniform Triple Mule 3 gallon. Fully rooted over 36 inches. $75.00 shipping included in price. No overseas orders.

post-1930-0-23782300-1371155849_thumb.jp

Here is a nice Uniform Triple Mule 3 gallon. Fully rooted over 36 inches. $75.00 shipping included in price. No overseas orders.

Any pictures of mature doubles/triples?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Zeeth. I do not have any photos of any mature ones but here are some photos of some larger ones.

post-1930-0-14187900-1371239513_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-13326400-1371239564_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Butia X Syagrus hybrid mule palm seed available. Minimum order of 100. Just cleaned and dried. $1.25 each. $1.00 each for orders over 1000. Get them fresh before we plant them.

post-1930-0-78085100-1374449217_thumb.jp

• 4 months later...

1 gallon Mule palms shipped to your door for $40.00 Shipping included in price. These are shipped with container and soil so no transplant shock. Cleared for California and AZ as well.

post-1930-0-04675600-1385503489_thumb.jp

Hello Ryusensei,

We are currently out of seedlings. You can get wholesale orders for 3s, 15s and 25 gallon Mule palms for Europe.

• 5 months later...

Next batch of 3 gallons are ready. Fully rooted. 3 foot. $70.00 shipping included in price.

3s cleared for all lower 48 states. No European orders retail.

3s,15s, 25s, and 45 gallon wholesale cleared for AZ TX LA and Europe. Contact for more info on wholesale ordering. Price depends on the size of the order.

post-1930-0-05035000-1400284888_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-62228900-1400285191_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-28079000-1400285212_thumb.jp

I will look. No quads as the only one we had got put into the ground.

• 2 months later...

Fresh seed of xbutyagrus F1. Butia Odorata x syagrus Romanzoffiana. All guaranteed to be Mule palms. These seeds are just collected, cleaned, floated, and vacuum sealed. Minimum order of 100 @ 1.25 each. $8.00 for shipping. For larger orders please contact me for a discount. Extras are always thrown in. International orders will have to add $10.00 extra for shipping.

Regards.

post-1930-0-19322100-1405894493_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-14467600-1405894509_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-77016800-1405894526_thumb.jp

Any doubles triples or quads??

I did pull a lot of double, trips. This year. So they will be up and coming.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit over two years. Grown in full sun. Southern FL Fully rooted over 3 ft.

• 4 months later...

Next batch of 3 gallon Mule palms available. Fully rooted. Over 3 foot and pinnate. Ready to be planted or stepped up. Wholesale orders welcome. $75.00 Shipping included in price. Shipped with Container and medium to prevent shock.

• 2 weeks later...

Eric....do you ever backcross your mules to queens?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I have not done it in awhile. I can again this year if you want as there has been a couple other people that have requested it. Our queens have gotten so large I am going to have to use a tree climber to get to them.

It would be great to have one, would imagine it would be a bit hardier than a queen but with the queen look. Bad news....your mule spear pulled yesterday...totally unexpected. I think it saw 25 with heavy frost/moisture in the crown back in that weird November freeze. I was out of town so wasn't able to cover it. No frond damage and treating with peroxide. Hope it comes back...really sucks...it was growing so well.

post-97-0-69809400-1422039921_thumb.jpg

Painful to look at

I'm a newbie so sorry for dumb question.....what do these look like and is there any benefit over this cross vs regular Mule?

attachicon.gif20150122_085644.jpg

Painful to look at

OIUCH

Give it a shot of peroxide and see if it recovers. Bet it will. Butiagrus is a Beast.

Let us know on the main forum!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm a newbie so sorry for dumb question.....what do these look like and is there any benefit over this cross vs regular Mule?

The hope is you'll end up with a queen look-alike that's got the better hardiness of a Butea.

If you get one, that's a good case for meristem propagation.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I see, so it looks more like a Queen vs a Butea.

I have two potted Queens that seem to be really cold hardy. I just keep them in garage over the winter and it doesn't phase them at all.

I see, so it looks more like a Queen vs a Butea.

I have two potted Queens that seem to be really cold hardy. I just keep them in garage over the winter and it doesn't phase them at all.

Planted out in, say, Virginia Beach, VA, queens croak, and Buteas survive.

Oh, to have a queen in VB VA! Or at least a reasonable facsimile.

Got it. Hopefully Eric can get some grown and make available. I'd like one.

Have one of his 3 gallon Mules I got late in the fall. Has resided in hobby greenhouse that I keep somewhat heated and it's not missing a beat in there. I worry more about it getting TOO hot inside since sun raises temps quickly on sunny days. Anxious to get one or two more.