IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

xbutyagrus Mule palm

ErikSJI

3 gallon Mule palms Xbutyagrus.

$65.00 each. This price includes shipping. They are over 30 inches tall. All plants are shipped with soil and container. This sale is only good for the lower 48 states. California and Texas Certified.

post-1930-0-04286300-1343586436_thumb.jp

Ooohhhhh. I don't have one and I think I'll dig around to buy one!

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have some more 3 Gallon Mule palms. $65.00 shipped to your door with container and soil. Local wholesale pick ups at a discounted price also available in Parrish FL.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not sure if any have been planted in Portland with good results. There is a nursery in Silverton Oregon selling them. I have some on San Juan Island WA. I would assume you would need protection on the occasional freeze's you will have.

Erik-when would you protect them? Anytime it goes below freezing or around 25F or 18F? i would assume that some of your answer would depend on how large the root system is and how well established they are? What is the farthest north (east coast) that you have reports or knowledge of them growing well and how many winters in the ground?

I would protect them anything below 20F. They have been known to survive temps below that but being marginal and variable I would not take any chances. I would not be concerned with zone 8b. But 8A has some instances of below freezing for an extended period. I have not had any reports of ones in the ground above South Carolina. Not that I have not sent some as far as the Hampton's but I just do not see it surviving some of there winters with out some serious protection.

If you have not checked it out there is some entries on this palm for the freeze data: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3089-butyagrus-x/

• 1 month later...

15 Gallon Mule palms. Fully rooted all over 6 foot. $175.00 each. Local pickup Parrish Florida.

25 gallon Mule palm Local pickup Parrish Florida. $300.00. Mark Lynn for scale is 5ft 10

post-1930-0-25818600-1363294850_thumb.jp

Oh nice! do you know what there adult dimentions are? crown and trunk? i think i got a spot for one finally!!!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I will get that information for you Steve but the largest we have that is Cali certified is the 3 gallon.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my mule today! Looks great! Best pack job I've ever seen. This thing looks like I just bought it at a local nursery, zero damage. Awesome job, thanks a ton Erik!

• Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Thanks for the feedback Steve. Keep me updated on how it does for you.

Hi Eric

We got the 4 mules the other day. They look awesome!

Highly recommended!

Braden de Jong

Braden de Jong

Glad they got to you in good order. Thank you for the feedback. They will make a great compliment to all those wonderful Cycads you have.

• 1 month later...

Erik

Sent you a mssg via mssngr but your avatar says blocked....

so im resending the mssge here.

Im trying to keep cost down (plant&shipping) so Im rqstng price

if available on the following in a 4"pot-gallon sized seedling.....

1. Butia x C. nucifera

2. Syagrus x Jubea

3. Butia x Botryophora

Grreatly appreciated.

Cheers. Ritchy

Erik

Hows your Butia x C. nucifera coming along?

Will you be the first or Seabreeze?

http://www.seabreezenurseries.com/HybridPalmTreesModifyingNature.html

Inquiring minds want to know?

Cheers.

Does butia x coco really exist? Who is sure to get one?

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

San dimas We do not have any of those crosses for sale. I am pulling for anyone who can pull of the butia X cocos. Our suspect crosses are doing well but still look like a butia.

I believe the butia x cocos exists. Like Mandrew says people also believe in Big foot.

Pardon my ignorance and also a novice to the field of hybridization.

I was just going with Seabreeze claim on their website regarding cross pollenation within the cocosoid family...

as long as they are within the same family, cross pollenation is doable.

http://www.seabreeze...yingNature.html

To the experts in this feld, please educate us regarding the possibility or impossibility of the

CocosxSyagrus or CocosxButia hybrid.

Thanx. Ritchy

I believe the butia x cocos exists. Like Mandrew says people also believe in Big foot.

Erik

Sorry I thought you were an expert on this field...http://www.palmpedia...photos-as-well.

Why would you campare the possibility of a cocos x butia hybrid to big foot?

I dont know what Mandrew credentials are but you seem to have a business and knack for hybridization.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers.

We have a couple of what we believe to be the butia x cocos. We have given it another try this year and the seed are holding.

We have some that have outgrown each other. and look kind of silly. These two seem pretty uniform.

Hey, Erik, found you on this thread with pictures of the double mules. They look very nice. Are they back crossed to the queen? They definitely favor syagrus imo

Doc these are not backcrossed. If I have time this year I will do a batch of backcrosses.

I will follow you here on PT. I want "coconuts" around my pool that will be started soon. Along with hibiscus, ginger, bananas, etc. You get it. Those other plants I don't have problems with here. I think the only thing I can grow here that will give me the look is the queen-leaning mules. I believe you are the expert in this area and will probably be getting some from you. Not sure when. I have a bunch of B. Alfredii that I thought were gonna be IT. But, it sounds like they are more frost sensitive than originally expected. :( I'll have to decide what to do with those first.

I figured the queen backcross would give a taller, more slender palm, with a cleaner, coconuttier trunk.

Thanks Doc. Just send me a message when you are ready. We also have a few 3 gallon Triple mules available at $80.00 fully rooted.

post-1930-0-70398400-1368568047_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

post-7690-0-30171500-1368653409.jpgpost-7690-0-71007700-1368653420.jpg]NICE! Hey check out this butia in my neighborhood. Do you think it's a mule. I really like how the leaflets point downward. If its not a mule it sure would make a nice mule baby-daddy.