IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

xbutyagrus Mule palm

ErikSJI

Are you growig seedlings for sale? If so, how much? Tampa Bay here. I have two large Mules and would love to grow up some smaller specimens for local.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

On 6/30/2016, 1:49:53, ErikSJI said:

Fresh batch of Mule palm xbutyagrus F1 seed now available. Wholesale only $1.00 each minimum order of 100.

20150714_143318.jpg

20150722_135729.jpg

321355_472502716144591_1760613784_n.jpg

sent you a text message

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Ordered seeds approx 2 years ago, fantastic germination rate, will be planting my first one in Spring. Thanks Eric! Stoked!

You're welcome Peter. Good to hear you had great germination.

• 1 month later...

1 gallons now available. Fully rooted. Wholesale orders welcome. First time these will be offered wholesale.

DSC01255.JPG

DSC01263.JPG

DSC01244.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...
21 hours ago, raimeiken said:

anymore 3gal available? 

and about how old are the 3gals?

and how does their fruit taste like?

I have noticed a fairly sizable variability in Butia fruit color/size/texture but not much variability in taste.  Syagrus R. fruit is pretty similar in taste to the Butia so I don't imagine the mule palm fruit would taste much different.  I ate a single fruit from a mule hybrid F2 and to me it didn't taste different than Butia fruit.  I've made jelly from both Butia and Syagrus fruit and both were excellent!

Jon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

8 hours ago, Fusca said:

I have noticed a fairly sizable variability in Butia fruit color/size/texture but not much variability in taste.  Syagrus R. fruit is pretty similar in taste to the Butia so I don't imagine the mule palm fruit would taste much different.  I ate a single fruit from a mule hybrid F2 and to me it didn't taste different than Butia fruit.  I've made jelly from both Butia and Syagrus fruit and both were excellent!

Jon

that's great to hear! are they faster growing than Pindo palm?

9 hours ago, raimeiken said:

that's great to hear! are they faster growing than Pindo palm?

Much faster.  They get their cold hardiness from the pindo and their speed from the queen.  Best of both worlds along with tasty fruit as a bonus!  Sometimes they have more of the traits from the pindo and sometimes more from the queen, but that makes them unique.  It's interesting to see what they look like when they grow up :)

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

On 7/25/2017, 5:10:14, raimeiken said:

anymore 3gal available? 

and about how old are the 3gals?

and how does their fruit taste like?

I will have more available in August. The 3 gallon are around 3 years old. They rarely fruit unless being pollinated by a queen or Pindo near by.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/29/2012 at 11:27 AM, ErikSJI said:

3 gallon Mule palms Xbutyagrus.

$65.00 each. This price includes shipping. They are over 30 inches tall. All plants are shipped with soil and container. This sale is only good for the lower 48 states. California and Texas Certified.

post-1930-0-04286300-1343586436_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2016 at 2:23 PM, gsytch said:

Are you growig seedlings for sale? If so, how much? Tampa Bay here. I have two large Mules and would love to grow up some smaller specimens for local.

Unfortunately we have so many orders we can not fill them at the moment.