IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala Fordiana flowering

Pedro 65

Licuala Fordiana is a neat clustering Licuala from China. ( Guangdong provence from lowland rainforest to 500mtrs elevation) After reading Andrew Hendersons book "Palms of Southern Asia" and comparing the flower pics he took of Fordiana in habitat and looking at mine it confirmed our Licuala being Licuala Fordiana.

This book has now helped me confirm 2 Licualas in our gardens, Thanks Andrew Henderson for this "Fantastic Informative Book" with Tremendous photos..

Ive had it for many years since a tiny seedling which went inground early, its grows at a good pace even here in the "cool subtropics". Its leaves are now only 600mm wide which is just over half its maturity width size of 1mtr Wide..

Yesterday, with a close look I noticed it flowering for the first time, this area of the garden is very shady and continually moist.

post-0-0-62422000-1340576742_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-88594100-1340576760_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-63519600-1340576778_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-06266000-1340576999_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Gorgeous palm, Pete. How big does it get? I've considered getting one from Floribunda for a long time.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Gorgeous palm, Pete. How big does it get? I've considered getting one from Floribunda for a long time.

Thanks Meg, it is a gorgeous Licuala..The trunk is described as subterranean or very short , which for me is great as its planted with Many different Licualas in this part of our gardens and it will stay low, cluster and have many beautiful neat leaves 1 mtr across. Dont buy 1 off Floribunda, buy a few.. :)

Yes I could easily grab one of these

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Pete,

Beautiful palm and thanks for posting those pictures -- I recently got one of these (from Eric at Leu Gardens) and now I'm even more excited about finding a great spot for it in my yard (I have a large area under high oak canopy -- sounds like ideal conditions for this palm).

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

What a beautiful little palm, looks perfect. Has some nice spokes! What's the Licuala next to it?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

What a beautiful little palm, looks perfect. Has some nice spokes! What's the Licuala next to it?

Thanks Tim, the Licuala next to it is 1 of 3 grouped L Dasyantha ( fruiting)and some L Distans seedlings and Zamia seedlings. This pic makes the Fordiana look smaller but its leaves are wider than the Dasyantha.

Tim (thunder), happy growing, these prefer damp shady spots to keep the vibrant green.

Wal, dont know where these are in Oz at present , glad i bought it as a seedling tears ago.

post-5709-0-26266100-1340668194_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-49230800-1340668243_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

Whenever I see my two, I think about Pete and this thread. Finally mine flowered for the first time a couple months ago. It now is on its second inflorescence and this one looks to be setting seed. Neither of mine are clustering and I talked to Jeff about this when he brought one in for the SFPS auction one time--his was clustering and apparently some do and some don't... I was kinda bummed mine are solitary, but for the little brick planter they are in, it's probably more condusive, space wise.

post-5491-0-04348500-1409319738_thumb.jp

Whenever I see my two, I think about Pete and this thread. Finally mine flowered for the first time a couple months ago. It now is on its second inflorescence and this one looks to be setting seed. Neither of mine are clustering and I talked to Jeff about this when he brought one in for the SFPS auction one time--his was clustering and apparently some do and some don't... I was kinda bummed mine are solitary, but for the little brick planter they are in, it's probably more condusive, space wise.

Hi Andrew, its just a guess but Jeff could chime in if Im correct or wrong, Im thinking that your non clustering Fordiana is an "offset" not seed grown.

Licuala fordiana is a great looking , very fast growing and certainly quick to flower for a Licuala and I think they look their ab best in lots of shade, yours looks great hope it sets seed.

heres 2 shots taken today

Pete :)

post-5709-0-64919100-1409363094_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-78253800-1409363155_thumb.jp

I think this is a cute little Licuala. And one we here in south Florida won't have to worry about getting damaged when it gets cold. I have 3 planted in the yard now for close to two years, their during very well. But it's true, I have some that clump and most seemed to stay solitary.

I just noticed the other day, my Licuala sp. Timika from PNG has begun to sucker. It's approx. 3' tall now and is pretty rare in cultivation.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

All my plants are seed grown. So it's a palm that can stay solitary or will clump. Same as what Areca vestiaria does.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff, hey Pls post some pics of your Lic sp timika its certainly rare and a beauty, Ive only seen a splash in a very keen collectors garden but didnt take any pics for privacy reasons, so pls post a few pics of yours if you want to share.

I think Fordiana needs to be in every keen Palm growers gardens because of adaptability , speed of growth and beauty.

Those L.fordiana are as tough as nails too. Mine has withstood severe drought and cool/cold weather without missing a beat....would surely have to be one of the hardiest in the genus.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Peter I was looking for a pic. and found this night shot can get one in the day time if I can remember to.

attachicon.gif100_6564.jpg

Ahhhh, what a beauty , thanks for the pic of your Timika Bill.

Daryl, yes "very" tough as nails is Fordiana eh.

post-5709-0-69637000-1409387713.jpg

Pete, I wouldn't think my palm was from a cutting. Maybe others are better at it than me, but I have had very bad success with propagating palms--did about 5 tries off of our biggest Lipstick(saw some of those Thailand threads and got motivated) and none made it...

Jeff, I have never heard of timika and was thinking of the problem with all of the different names on Licuala, yet many many look pretty much alike--Bill's photos show me that timika is definitely collection worthy! Super nice palm; does it grow as easily as most Licualas or is it tough?

Can L. Fordiana withstand full sun? I'm looking for a Licuala that does not get too high and can take full sun (if it exists). It does not have to look optimal as Pete says, just withstand the sun.

Can L. Fordiana withstand full sun? I'm looking for a Licuala that does not get too high and can take full sun (if it exists). It does not have to look optimal as Pete says, just withstand the sun.

Jason, with your year round high humidity Licuala fordiana will certainly grow in full sun and it will be much more compact like specimens Ive seen growing in full sun in Cairns ( Nth Qld).

Andrew, yeh Jeff said he grew it from seed, I was guessing and I was keen to take an offshoot or 2 off mine , I might holdoff.