IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Howea seeds

Patrick In MN

I just ordered some seeds from Rare Palms seeds and was hoping someone could offer suggestions on germinating both varieties of Howea. Thank You for any suggestions!

Patrick in Minneapolis, MN Growing indoor/patio palms until I make the move south...

First suggestion; be patient. They can take a while... These are actually pretty easy seeds, but in my experience the germination rate is not as high as in species like Archontophoenix etc.

Bag method works well, can take a couple years for germination. This is the mthod I used for several thousand, but I don't like it much. I kept on getting bugs and rats into the bags, and if I neglected them too long, the roots got tangled.

Just sowing them in to trays and waiting is good. Bottom heat at about 25C certainly hurries them up, but is not essential.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Patrick, welcome to the board!

First thing that comes to mind is location and weather. I've been to Minneapolis and is a lovely place! What are your daily highs and lows this time of the year?

Heat, humidity and patience are the three basic ingredients to germinate palm seeds.

If you can take advantage of midday and afternoon heat, I suggest you use tupperware containers with a few drainage holes, place the seeds half buried in a mix of moist (not wet) peat and perlite, cover, and place in a location where it can benefit from some heat but not in direct sun. Always be on guard for any fungus.

I've never germinated howeas before, so a little research into their habitat characteristics will help a lot.

Good luck and happy palming!

Oh, and by no means get discouraged if it doesn't work out for you. I've had mixed results with Rare palm seeds and some orders did not germinate at all while others worked out pretty good.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Patrick,

Howea seeds do not all germinate concurently.  The slower ones in the group may take up to a year after the first ones, so don't throw out the un-germinated seeds prematurely.  You can leave them all together in the germination pot until the first ones have 2 or 3 leaves.  With the bag method, It's easier to remove the early ones, but I'm lazy and use the pot method!

San Francisco, California

Patrick!

Nice to meet you!

Are you the same guy from MN who used to post a few years ago, with the house with the big windows?   If so, your indoor garden rocked.  If not, your indoor garden will rock, and we here live to help you do it!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you all for your feedback.  Yea I'm the guy that used to post a few years ago.  I moved and gave away most of my palm collection.  The few I kept are all doing well :)  

All the people I gave them to love them so I figure I'll try starting some more.  Have a great weekend all.  Here in Mpls we are going to have highs in the upper 90's and lows in the 70's.  I and my palms are loving it.

Patrick in Minneapolis, MN Growing indoor/patio palms until I make the move south...

(Patrick In MN @ Jul. 14 2006,21:53)

'All the people I gave them to love them so I figure I'll try starting some more'.

Way to go.. i know what the feeling is when you have to part from you loved ones,in your case its the palms.

but i appreciate that you have induced palm crazyness to those to whom you have given our old collection of plants.so not to worry at all !

Iam sure u will have a better collection of plants which would include your previous verities too.

Never Lose Heart Buddy,things we lose do come by,since the world is round...

One man one tree..

Love,

Kris (from S.India)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Thank you for the kind reply.  It's really cool knowing someone from the other side of the world shares in the love of palms.

Have a great day!

Patrick