IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubutia F2 X Parajubaea Sunkha

TimHopper

My Jubutia F2 is just about ready to pollinate with Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. I am hoping that this one works.
fe26cd6d.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Would be a cool hybrid for sure! Hopefully you are successfull and we get to see what the results will look like in a few years.

Good luck Tim!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

My Jubutia F2 is just about ready to pollinate with Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. I am hoping that this one works.

fe26cd6d.jpg

My BxJ F2 is also showing two spathas, also a few B.eriospathas and a Butia yatay. I was planning to cross them all with Parajubaea sunkha, that shows now 5 new spathas. Fingers crossed.

I´m curious about the seed set on your (JxB F2) X P.sunkha.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

:drool: Wishing you all the best of luck! Edited by Richard Booth

• 2 weeks later...

Fruit are growing, but too early to tell.if they are going to set. The pollen has been stored for several months, so there is some question about viability. Probably another week to see how many fruit have set.

aa32a101.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Most did not set, but left with about 20 percent of fruit developing. Either my Jubutia was not very receptive to Parajubaea Sunkha pollen, or more likely, my stored pollen has lost some viability.

548fecfb.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Not a bad seed set seeing that the parent palm is a hybrid! Good job.

If you ever decide to sell a few of those seeds please let me in on that action!

Keep up the great things that you are doing,

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

keep us apprized of the vanguard of hybridization . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I had a low yield of seeds from the Jubutia X Parajubaea Sunkha. Conditions were good for applying pollen on two of the Jubutia bracts, but set a low percentage. Here is a photo of the seeds. There was a lot of variance among the resulting seeds. The bottom photo shows three of the smallest, and three of the largest. I plan to plant most of them this week. Tim

110368bd616d1349161ecd51067e0add.jpg

23ceedd437e21e7ce694ad6e3eefc281.jpg

• Like 1

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

Tim, I assume that you will be selling some of these hybrids and also the SXP that you planted in a previous post. At what point do you think they might be commercially available? Thanks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I bet Tim's nursery has some palms no one else has in the world! I would love to get a tour with my wallet, full...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

UH OH....:bummed:.....Here we go again....

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

hahahah. I know he is active and still alive just dodging palmtalk.

He does seem to have created a lot of fakes...and screwed a lot of people...but perhaps some real hybrids as well?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

10 hours ago, maesy said:

This is what is supposed to be a jubutia f2 x sunkha.

What is your opinion?

IMG_20160711_180121.jpg

much to early to tell at this stage

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

yes I know. The only thing that could it indicate as a hybrid is that its greener than the mother. As far as I could see on pictures.

Edited by maesy

My Jubaea x Butia f2 x syagrus, around 2,5 meters, i bought to him  is identical to a regular butiagrus. I Wonder if his jubaea x butia f2 is a regular butia odorata, and those hybrids were Just butiagrus...

For sure all his syagrus x parajubaea shunka are syagrus... I get 50 healthy syagrus... 

Hello,

I do also have a seedling of Jubutia x P sunkha. For sure I would sy its not a jxb or jxbxj or something else.

In this topic you can see my seedling

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2016 at 10:14 PM, Josh-O said:

much to early to tell at this stage

On 7/11/2016 at 12:06 PM, maesy said:

This is what is supposed to be a jubutia f2 x sunkha.

What is your opinion?

IMG_20160711_180121.jpg

@maesy

How did this one end up? Hybrid or not? 

• 1 month later...

I would say no. At least not what it supposed to be. At best it is jubaea f3.

In my understanding theoretically that means 87.5% butia, becouse its always been back crossed with butia and 12.5% jubaea.

IMG_20200412_112631.thumb.jpg.ed744e9d2a2c3a7680cdaa132feadec2.jpg

I dont see any parajubaea traits in it. When you have seen young butia parajubaea hybrids from patric, you know what I mean. Long fronds with long leaflets and a darker shade of green.

The one posted above is from Patric, my bxpjc has the long fronds you describe also from Patric 

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

@maesy Looking at your picture some more, that very well could be just a JxB. I have one that demonstrates  that white "hair" around the base. 

14 hours ago, RJ said:

Here is a b x sunkha for comparison 

image.jpg

This looks just like the one I bought from @patric (Patric(k) Schafer) a few years ago. At first I thought it was just a Butia mutt, but lately I've noticed the leaflets are less stiff than an ordinary Butia mutt, and seeing yours convinces me I got what I paid for. After mine gets significantly larger in a year or two, I will post a photo of it here.

Hi 77˚, Lo 43˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

4 hours ago, Zifool said:

this hybrid is really good or not ?

I'm certainly not an expert but I don't see any parajubaea in either of those.  That being said as with any hybrid they can be quite variable. Regardless they are nice palms. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

This looks just like the one I bought from @patric (Patric(k) Schafer) a few years ago. At first I thought it was just a Butia mutt, but lately I've noticed the leaflets are less stiff than an ordinary Butia mutt, and seeing yours convinces me I got what I paid for. After mine gets significantly larger in a year or two, I will post a photo of it here.

Hi 77˚, Lo 43˚

Good to confirm, isn't it? From my limited experience I have had great results with the hybrids that I have purchased from him. I would like to purchase a BxPtvt form him as well. I should of done it when I purchased these two. Perhaps this year I will spring for one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RJ said:

Good to confirm, isn't it? From my limited experience I have had great results with the hybrids that I have purchased from him. I would like to purchase a BxPtvt form him as well. I should of done it when I purchased these two. Perhaps this year I will spring for one. 

Havent heard of Patric for a lil while does he have a current list of palms he has available ? 

T J 

On 4/13/2020 at 5:53 AM, RJ said:

Returning to this thread, the picture of my BxSUNKHA was shared with Patrick, he believes that the one I purchased from him a couple years ago isn't a BxSUNKHA. He stated that : "They should and will be basic green with little Arc to the frond" 

Patrick has graciously offered to replace the palm and is shipping out a replacement. Kudo's to him. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RJ said:

Returning to this thread, the picture of my BxSUNKHA was shared with Patrick, he believes that the one I purchased from him a couple years ago isn't a BxSUNKHA. He stated that : "They should and will be basic green with little Arc to the frond" 

Patrick has graciously offered to replace the palm and is shipping out a replacement. Kudo's to him. :greenthumb:

Thanks for sharing this story about a man with true integrity. Even if mine is just a floppy leaved Butia mutt, I like it anyway. After you receive the replacement keep us updated on its appearance.

Hi 84˚, Lo 49˚

• Like 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 5 months later...