IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia/Jubaea X Syagrus

PalmGuyWC

This is a 3 way cross and is in a 5 gal container.  Last year it grew extreamly fast and I moved it from a 4 inch liner to a 5 gal pot.  It looks like a Butiagrus cross, but has a heavier texture.  At 25F I chickened and moved it in my unheated pool bar. I only have one and didn't want to risk it.  It will go in the ground in this spring.  I expect it will take much lower than 25 F.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Ed, I'm a computer dummy and haven't figgured out how to send pictures yet.  I don't even know how to retrieve mail....sorry.  I'll get with the program sooner or later.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Don't be chicken, these crosses can take virtually any cold. I have over a dozen, some three way crosses as well.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 1 month later...

I had a strap leaf seedling in my tunnell last winter, 50+ frosts more than 10 times under -6C. Not a scratch.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Howdy Nigel,

your Nursery page is not taking replies at the moment - maybe its frozen!

Anyway, I had no proper idea of your temps - good luck!

I do seem to remember asking you some time ago if you wanted to be my neighbour but you politely declined and prefer your own area.

Well its gone now and there is a "Sold" sign up tho there is still another house available very close.

This is not (quite) the warmest UK microclimate but you can sure grow a lot more down here - AND we have a local cricket team, with own ground and pavillion . All next door to the "Bull": a traditional pub with traditional

pub with tradional ale, traditional fishermen (we are very close to the beach)  and one traditional drunk. Hic.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

(Bilbo @ Mar. 01 2007,11:23)

I do seem to remember asking you some time ago if you wanted to be my neighbour but you politely declined ..........we have a local cricket team, with own ground and pavillion . All next door to the "Bull": a traditional pub with traditional

pub with tradional ale,  and one traditional drunk. Hic.

Regardez

Juan

Oh damn and blast , now I wish I had bought it.......... english paradise

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 1 year later...

25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. Small 2ft. tall strap leafer completely exposed. No damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 3 months later...

Let's see some pictures of this cross. I know some of you have plants older than mine. Purchased in October 2006 as a liner, potted up to a 2g tree pot and in the ground about a month ago.

Jub%20x%20But%20x%20Syag.JPG

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I just noticed that this thread was Butia/Jubaea X Syagrus. My picture is of (Jubaea chilensis x Butia capitata) x S. romanzoffiana.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I did not notice that either Robert, my report above is (J X B) X S as well. I imagine it would have the same cold tolerance as Dick's palm. So I think were ok.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 1 year later...

Two Three gallon Plants damaged severely after a low of 18. May not recover...

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I should have also mentioned that the day times highs were only 30F two days in a row, and they were somewhat protected in a courtyard. Nearby Syagrus Litoralis appear to vary between worse and even some better than the hybrid.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/17/2009, 7:22:48, iwan said:

Let's see some pictures of this cross. I know some of you have plants older than mine. Purchased in October 2006 as a liner, potted up to a 2g tree pot and in the ground about a month ago.

Jub%20x%20But%20x%20Syag.JPG

Any updates on your palm? Considering adding one to my yard in Fresno!

• 3 weeks later...

I just added one to my yard today. I plan on protecting it during it's first year then afterwords, it's on its own.

(B x J) x S

IMG_0429_zpsrinr5why.jpg

I have it in a decent microclimate. Perhaps too close to the wall, but we'll see. 

IMG_0430_zpseizmst39.jpg

• Upvote 1