IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmpedia

edric

I have reformatted all the pages in the A & B section, most of the info I submitted a couple of years ago, except the New Cal. stuff, which was completed by those of interest, there are however some new photos of some species in habitat, that may be of interest, and some new info as well, if you are unhappy with anything I have altered, now is the time to speak , or forever hold your peace, in addition: my grandmother always taught me, you can catch more flies with honey, than you can with vinegar, so I am offering a pound of honey, for every ten photos,(I'll do all the work, your name will be captioned underneath), recipient pays shipping, Bill, I used your Tokoravina photos, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

For those who are unaware, Ed is referring to the wiki Encyclopedia part of Palmpedia which is a resource and reference where anyone can add photos, descriptions, and edit material as they see fit - just like Wikipedia. So register and feel free to contribute and help make it the useful resource it can. Or just use it for information when needed.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Category:PALM_GENERA

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thank you for taking the time and energy to do all that stuff. I know its usually a thankless job so I want to make sure that I tell you that I appreciate the work you and the others (please, someone mention who they are) have done to make us better informed.

Leo

Thank you for taking the time and energy to do all that stuff. I know its usually a thankless job so I want to make sure that I tell you that I appreciate the work you and the others (please, someone mention who they are) have done to make us better informed.

Leo

Thanks Leo, that was very considerate of you, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed,

I am sure your work is appreciated by many of us here, but this thread belongs in Share-A-Site so I am moving it.

Keep up the good work! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo, I didn't know that forum existed, and neither does anyone else, so I wont bother posting anything else about Palmpedia from now on,Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Leo

FYI - anyone who edits a page in any way always has their name added to to credits at the bottom of the page. So no need to mention who helps - it is always all right there. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

Thanks Bo, I didn't know that forum existed, and neither does anyone else, so I wont bother posting anything else about Palmpedia from now on,Ed

Ed,

I always encourage people to try using the "View New Content" feature in the top right corner. It will list ALL new posts since your last visit - so you never miss a new post regardless of what sub-forum it is located in. I couldn't view PalmTalk any other way. I would miss too much.

Kona, on The Big Island

Ed,

I always encourage people to try using the "View New Content" feature in the top right corner. It will list ALL new posts since your last visit - so you never miss a new post regardless of what sub-forum it is located in. I couldn't view PalmTalk any other way. I would miss too much.

I've been converted to this method as well Dean, and if I haven't visited PT in a while, I'll do the browse all forum style over a cuppa tea. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I didn't know that fellas, but this is important, having an organized palm encyclopedia, it's not for my personal gain, and somehow it seems we are a bit fanatical about what's allowed, and what isn't, this is all about palms, and nothing else, and I think an exception should be made, I already feel like we're a bunch of old men, being lead around with a nose ring, by our ol'ladies, I can hardly look in the mirror now for all the censorship, if they don't want to read it they can click the mouse, and go to the next thread, as often times it may be a very important issue, is it that we have to worry about getting sued at every juncture, or is everyone so easily stirred from their delusion, it's not my intention to be difficult, but in the other topics forum there really should be freedom of speech, now I know what it was like under Stalin's rule, and if it's not a legal issue, who's making these decisions for us, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I didn't know that fellas, but this is important, having an organized palm encyclopedia, it's not for my personal gain, and somehow it seems we are a bit fanatical about what's allowed, and what isn't, this is all about palms, and nothing else, and I think an exception should be made, I already feel like we're a bunch of old men, being lead around with a nose ring, by our ol'ladies, I can hardly look in the mirror now for all the censorship, if they don't want to read it they can click the mouse, and go to the next thread, as often times it may be a very important issue, is it that we have to worry about getting sued at every juncture, or is everyone so easily stirred from their delusion, it's not my intention to be difficult, but in the other topics forum there really should be freedom of speech, now I know what it was like under Stalin's rule, and if it's not a legal issue, who's making these decisions for us, Ed

Ed,

No need to get all bent out of shape. We have different sub-forums for a reason, and even though we are pretty lenient, we do like to keep things in their proper place. And a reference to any other site belongs right here in this sub-forum. Ask Dean. I didn't delete anything of what you wrote so your indirect comment about censorship is out of place. And nobody is about to get sued! Incidentally, the citizens in the old Soviet Union should have had it this good under Stalin! They would have been tickled pink to have this kind of freedom of speech!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ed,

The hardest thing about policing PalmTalk is to stay consistent in the enforcement. If the rules are stretched a little for one person, then believe me, we hear about it when someone else tries to stretch them a bit more. Then before you know it, we are a long way from where we want to be. So, while I appreciate your passion and assistance, I hope you can understand that it is not easy being the cops in charge of keeping the PalmTalk peace.

And certainly you do understand that no one more than I has the desire to see Palmpedia realize its full potential, and I would like to think Palmpedia deserves an exception, but it is best that I don't receive any special consideration.

Kona, on The Big Island

Thanks for your time guys, but one question still unanswered, how can we get a sub-forum, where you can talk about theology, science, philosophy, ect. in strictly reasonable terms, or will the devout just simply not stand for it? thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed,

The word "reasonable" means different things to different people. There are those who feel it would be "reasonable" to have NOTHING but palm related threads and posts on PalmTalk. And we have also found out that when it comes to topics like theology, "reasonable" is a rare commodity. People have strong opinions and they want to voice them. The IPS Board of Directors have decided that having controversial topics on PalmTalk is not appropriate, and that's what we have to go by. Like it or not.

Bo-Göran

Ed,

The word "reasonable" means different things to different people. There are those who feel it would be "reasonable" to have NOTHING but palm related threads and posts on PalmTalk. And we have also found out that when it comes to topics like theology, "reasonable" is a rare commodity. People have strong opinions and they want to voice them. The IPS Board of Directors have decided that having controversial topics on PalmTalk is not appropriate, and that's what we have to go by. Like it or not.

Bo-Göran

So what you're saying is they're all Christians? Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I most definitely said no such thing.

Ed..

FIRST..

THANK YOU for all your diligent work here and even more so for your Palmpedia efforts. I and most people appreciate it dearly.

As to your other points (I think you were refering to)

Your post got moved, not so much as a political issue, but for future reference, so if someone is looking for site info, thats where to go...

(but, I agree, it would be nice to leave in the main area for a week or so to gain views, but lots more work for the moderators, ANNNDD if the "view new content" link is clicked... no problem)

As to the last "discussion forum" points... well, it WAS tried here several years back... it got out of hand, and some got banned or just left entirely... so the area was made more of a PG rating.... it went away in the original form and it was opened as kinda a free for all on Palmpedia (but not affliated with the IPS) where it went crazy for a while... then it too mellowed out a lot..

In a way, I'm in favor of keeping Palmtalk.. palmy... and PG... thus I toned down my Ranch Hands... ;)

and Ed, feel free to use any of my pics..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ed..

FIRST..

THANK YOU for all your diligent work here and even more so for your Palmpedia efforts. I and most people appreciate it dearly.

As to your other points (I think you were refering to)

Your post got moved, not so much as a political issue, but for future reference, so if someone is looking for site info, thats where to go...

(but, I agree, it would be nice to leave in the main area for a week or so to gain views, but lots more work for the moderators, ANNNDD if the "view new content" link is clicked... no problem)

As to the last "discussion forum" points... well, it WAS tried here several years back... it got out of hand, and some got banned or just left entirely... so the area was made more of a PG rating.... it went away in the original form and it was opened as kinda a free for all on Palmpedia (but not affliated with the IPS) where it went crazy for a while... then it too mellowed out a lot..

In a way, I'm in favor of keeping Palmtalk.. palmy... and PG... thus I toned down my Ranch Hands... ;)

and Ed, feel free to use any of my pics..

Thanks Bill, you explain things like Gary Lavine does, not like a politician, now I understand, and another word will never be mentiomed, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I just wanted to thank you Ed for all the effort with Palmpedia! I do look at the "new content" and look forward to any additional posts whatever subforum they are in. Sometimes I choose posts based on their author,the topic, etc. but if I have time I check out everything! I continue to reference many sources online AND in books and magazines. When my little ones get bigger and hopefully more photogenic I'd be happy to contribute by adding them. Right now many are so small they'd probably be hard for some of us to tell apart! Oh, I also usually read the "comments" part and I guess it's okay to list it there if you want to direct others to go to a particular subforum? You may have already done that...

Cindy Adair

I just wanted to thank you Ed for all the effort with Palmpedia! I do look at the "new content" and look forward to any additional posts whatever subforum they are in. Sometimes I choose posts based on their author,the topic, etc. but if I have time I check out everything! I continue to reference many sources online AND in books and magazines. When my little ones get bigger and hopefully more photogenic I'd be happy to contribute by adding them. Right now many are so small they'd probably be hard for some of us to tell apart! Oh, I also usually read the "comments" part and I guess it's okay to list it there if you want to direct others to go to a particular subforum? You may have already done that...

Thanks for the kind words Cindy, there is new info and photos on Palmpedia with every day that passes, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif