IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Biennial - Let's explore Thailand a bit on our own

Carlo Morici

Hello all,

I will join the biennial 2012. I do not want to go to the post-tour or fly to Singapore but I wish to spend some days (seven ?) on my own or with friends, visiting a bit this country. Some of us wish to leave Bangkok and fly up to Chiang Mai too.

We need all types of suggestions. Of course we are interested in palms but we need to see also some fabulous collections or nurseries of Bromeliads, Orchids or Adeniums. People wish to see the exotic fruit markets or plant rambles. We wish to taste all those weird colourful bananas.

Any help or hint? Maybe some links?

Carlo

Ciao Carlo,

It will be a real pleasure meeting you in Thailand during the biennial, when are you planning to arrive in Bangkok?

Our small group from Brazil is also interested in other aspects of the real Thai culture and we've been googling for some information on similar visits and adventures, besides the most common touristic attractions.

We'll be arriving in BKK 4 days in advance (Fri Sep 7th) and we're also looking for ideas on places to visit in the neighbouring areas, like floating fruit markets, maybe mangrove boat rides among Nypa fruticans groves...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Hi Carlo,

Looking forward to meeting in person here. There are several nurseries and market in Bangkok and Chiangmai that will serve you right.

Send me a message and then we can discuss where you can go.

Best Regards,

Chalermchart

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

Hi Carlo,

Looking forward to meeting in person here. There are several nurseries and market in Bangkok and Chiangmai that will serve you right.

Send me a message and then we can discuss where you can go.

Best Regards,

Chalermchart

Hi Chalermchart,

My wife Andrea and I and our good friend Rob(Borgy230)plan on flying in on Sept 1st. We want to spend a good week or so in and around Bangkok. This will be our third visit there and first for Rob.

We want to visit some private gardens and collections and will need to find a driver (needs to speak some english)to help us around.

My question is, is the market for plant vendors only still on wednesday? Also, instead of staying in the host hotel for all these nights, is there a couple of small bed and breakfast places you could recommend? Maybe right outside of Bangkok where it's a little more quiet? If you have any leads, please send it in a PM, thanks! Look forward to hearing from you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi guys, this biennial is going to be memorable and I'm glad the first for us will be in Thailand. Guillermo and I are flying into Bangkok on the 5th to see the city, possibly Chiang Mai before the week with the IPS starts and after a week in Beijing. It seems that everyone I talk to in Guatemala has been there and, hands down, food is on everyone's must do list. So I think seeing palms, temples and eating won't be so hard to take. Jeff, it will be wonderful seeing you again and picking your brain and Gileno, Carlo, Chalermchart, it will be great to meet you and other members of palmtalk. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Thank you all. I will be back to you soon. I need some more time to plan and decide the days of my stay. So far I joined the biennial so I will be there anyhow.

Carlo

Carlo,

Good to hear that you will be in Thailand! I am sure you will get lots of ideas and feedback here. Looking forward to seeing you! Again! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Jeff,

Just sent you a PM.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in person here.

Best Regards,

Khob Khun khraap!!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff. Is that really called for here? :unsure:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just being polite. Bill...look it up!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mmmmhhh... I wish to see Chiang Mai!

How easy is get a round-trip flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?

Is it better to book/buy it from here or is it easier/cheaper to do it there?

Carlo

Carlo,

Check out http://www.airasia.com

AirAsia is the largest low cost carrier in the Far East (there are others) and they have a large fleet of very new Airbus aircraft. Their prices would be hard to beat. There are so many flights between Bangkok and Chiang Mai that whether you book in advance or wait until you get there may not make much of a difference. Personally I'd like to have something like this arranged in advance. One less thing to do once I get there.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I got some information from Rthink and other friends.

They suggest to fly to Chiang Mai or to take some short routes at 2-4 h distance by car. And spend one or more days in the neighbouring provinces of Chonburi, Chantaburi and Kanchanaburi, where one can see plant nurseries, plants in habitat and some historical places as well as rural areas with local crops.

I believe we will stay there Sept. 9-23.

Jeff, is the Plant Vendors Market eventually still open only on Wednesdays? I bet it is worth it.

Gileno and others, did you make up your route?

Carlo

I got some information from Rthink and other friends.

They suggest to fly to Chiang Mai or to take some short routes at 2-4 h distance by car. And spend one or more days in the neighbouring provinces of Chonburi, Chantaburi and Kanchanaburi, where one can see plant nurseries, plants in habitat and some historical places as well as rural areas with local crops.

I believe we will stay there Sept. 9-23.

Jeff, is the Plant Vendors Market eventually still open only on Wednesdays? I bet it is worth it.

Gileno and others, did you make up your route?

Carlo

Hi Carlo,

If I'm understanding it right, the market days to go and look at plants are wednesday and thursday. Weekends are quiet. And the last time I went, we spent 6 hours walking through the market and then up and down the highway along side the market in one day. The market IS NOT to be missed!!! To us and many others, it's one of the "must things to do" while in Thailand. Unfortunately, the biennial time frame does not permit us enough time on those days. That's one of the main reasons we are arriving earlier.

If you can go to the market on one of these days, be prepared to pick your eyeballs off the ground and insert them back in! :lol: It's that good!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, that's some endorsement for the plant market...is that part of the main market or a separate market altogether? I want to see everything that time permits and a friend of mine just told me that if we were to go to Chiang Mai we should go by train to see the real Thailand. The spiritual energy of just being in the presence of these holy men is a thrilling experience. I am just so excited that I've been honing my cooking skills and putting all of my fallen coconuts to the test; I've even made fresh chili paste and my tom kah gai soup is nearly perfect!

Bo, Carlo, Jeff...thanks for the tips, please keep them coming.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Hi Amigos,

Hmmmmmm, This plants market sounds like Heaven...!!! Tôo bad we will only be arriving in BKK on friday, from a stop over in Hong Kong...I hope we can still see some plants and action there on monday or tuesday morning...

We have been in contact for sometime now with Chalermchart (Rthink) and we are looking forward to meeting him (and also Peter, Carlo, Jeff and others who plan to arrive early) during the weekend, for some adventures...we wont have much time after the biennial as we will be flying straight to Malaysia on the 18th...

Peter, your recipe sounds yummmy...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno, sounds like fun! We will be leaving for Asia the end of August for Beijing and, after the biennial, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Singapore and ultimately Bali before heading to Florida and back to Guatemala. Where will you be in Malaysia? And for anyone else who has been to Singapore, which is better... to stay on Sentosa Island or in the city of Singapore (I know that this is a terribly subjective question but I like to hear everyone's opinion).

Peter

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I will join the biennial 2012. I do not want to go to the post-tour or fly to Singapore but I wish to spend some days (seven ?) on my own or with friends, visiting a bit this country. Some of us wish to leave Bangkok and fly up to Chiang Mai too.

We need all types of suggestions. Of course we are interested in palms but we need to see also some fabulous collections or nurseries of Bromeliads, Orchids or Adeniums. People wish to see the exotic fruit markets or plant rambles. We wish to taste all those weird colourful bananas.

Any help or hint? Maybe some links?

Carlo

Around Chiang Mai, you have some palms collectors... :rolleyes:http://asie.online.fr/palmiers/index-palmiers00.html :winkie:

• Upvote 1

My palms collection : http://www.palmiers.eu

My B&B : bannongresort.com

• 2 months later...

Southern Thailand is a bit amazing, and Nypa palm along river at Chacheonsao(1hour away from airport) is worth to see. Jatujak plant market(Bangkok) is so amazing but only wednesday. Jatujak weekend market is also cool. Near Jatujak is food market, you cau pick up vary of tropical fruits.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

If you have more free time sending in Thailand, Phuket is the place you don't want to miss. A nice beach, Kerridoxa palm in habitat, 1 hour flight away from Bangkok.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Hi Kom, we'll be staying five days in Phuket after the biennial...is there any place in particular that we shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Peter

Peter

If you have more free time sending in Thailand, Phuket is the place you don't want to miss. A nice beach, Kerridoxa palm in habitat, 1 hour flight away from Bangkok.

:indifferent:

well.... Phuket is place mostly for tourist... not sure that It is a place not to be missed...

(too) Many tourists... people not so friendly there.... expensive cost of living...

:sick:

My palms collection : http://www.palmiers.eu

My B&B : bannongresort.com

Hi Kom, we'll be staying five days in Phuket after the biennial...is there any place in particular that we shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Peter

Peter, Phuket is a "fun Island" with many great beaches other than the busy nightlife area Patong.... Kata and Kata Noi are our favourite beach areas to stay when we are holidaying at Phuket..

Peter, while in Phuket make sure you do the full day trip to Phi Phi Islands and a Full day trip via high speed boat that leaves Phuket to visit the stunning Phang nga Bay area.. They offer cheaper boat journeys from the mainland on smaller boats but they dont take you very far compered to the high speed boats leaving Phuket. ( I have a thread called Phang nga bay in travel section).

Kerriodoxas in the wild in Phuket are certainly worth a visit and easily found in the Khao pra theaw Nat Pk

I saw your question above about where to stay in Singapore, we stayed IN Singapore . My wife and kids went to Sentosa for a day for the kids activities while I spent another day at "Gardens by the Bay".. Its your choice where you stay but when we go back again to Singapore we will certainly stay in Singapore with its incredible foods, fantastic easy underground train system that drops you right at the "Botanic Gardens" and very very close to "Gardens by the Bay" ( I did a thread on that as well in the travel section. ) Have Fun, all the best. Pete :)

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5244&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

That is reference link.

I recommend you spending 1 day for Ton-Sai waterfall, beach is a bonus but like above said,lot of tourists. If I'm there, I'll spend more days for nearby Phuket such as PP island national park.

Anyway, have a nice trip ^^

Komkrit Yensirikul

Thank you pilou, Kom and Pedro for your tips and suggestions. I live on a beach, the Pacific Ocean, and I am not excited about "touristy" areas preferring to explore on my own, but I am a tourist in Thailand. Koh Phi Phi and Prang nga are already on the list. The karsks coming out of the water seem spectacular I will be thrilled to seem them in person. Pedro, while planning the trip we had to cancel Singapore, unfortunately, but will be staying in Hong Kong instead.

Peter

Peter