IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia X Parajubaea

PalmGuyWC

Mine is about head high to the tip of the fonds.  It's growing under open sky and very exposed.  It's come through 23 F with no damage, while a Parajubaea T V T and a Bismarkia near by show some damage.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I forgot to mention, while the Parajubaea and Bismarkia have been covered during the recent Jan. freeze, the Butia X Parajubaea has not been protected. I think it's going to be a super palm and will extend the range where palms can be grown.  Mine has been covered with hard frosts for the past month.

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Gotta echo the hybrid praise.

I also have a butia x parajubaea, 18'' tall, already pinnate, that shows NO damage after fourteen degrees twice and lots of hours below twenty for night after night. I did put an old thin dish towel over it at some point, but the uncovered parts  were equally unscathed.

Jon T.

• Upvote 1

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

If there is any good new coming from our recent freezes, it's the hardiness of Butia X Parajubaea.  Jon, that's increadable that yours took 14F twice with no damage.  Mine took 23 F and night after night of freezing temps.  Nigel from the UK reported his took 50 nights of below freezing and down to 18F.  This has to be one of the most exciting new hybrids to come along in many years, and it looks like it's going to be a beautiful palm.  Mine grew like a weed in the ground last summer and I expect it will double in size this summer.  It's head high now.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

• 4 months later...

Wow, you guys are getting me excited. I'm just now discovering the Butia-Parajubaea hybrid. Tell me how I could obtain one to trial here on the north Gulf Coast. Also, would be great to see pictures.

Jeremy Breland
Norfolk, Va: USDA hardiness zone 8a, AHS heat zone 5, Sunset climate zone 31
Hot and humid summers; cool and moist winters.
Jacksonville FL: USDA hardiness zone 9a/9b, AHS heat zone 9, Sunset climate zone 28
Hot and humid summers; warm and moist winters punctuated by cold spells.

Jeremy

I have three in the ground from seedling planted out in 2004.  I have never protected them.  This past winter, I had three nights of 33F and one of 28-29F for a few hours overnight. They haven't shown any sensitivity to these temps.  Of the three, two are probably 8' tall to the tips.  One is lagging way behind - I have a sneaking suspicion it's pure Parajub.  Here is one (it's the one in the foreground).  Use the 6' fence for scale:

Steve

post-193-1182627954_thumb.jpg

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Here's a view of the frond on-end where you can see the tilt of the rachis:

post-193-1182628089_thumb.jpg

And one final pic of the burlap:

post-193-1182628125_thumb.jpg

It looks quite attractive. Thanks for the pictures, Steve.

Jeremy Breland
Norfolk, Va: USDA hardiness zone 8a, AHS heat zone 5, Sunset climate zone 31
Hot and humid summers; cool and moist winters.
Jacksonville FL: USDA hardiness zone 9a/9b, AHS heat zone 9, Sunset climate zone 28
Hot and humid summers; warm and moist winters punctuated by cold spells.

• 1 year later...

Small seedling just going pinnate. 25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing. No damage.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 8 months later...

:drool: Where can I find this wonderfull hybrid ? :drool:

I'm french and this hybrid doesn't exist in Europe, or I don't know where ! (sorry for my bad english level ! :unsure: )

Somebody can help me to find it ? I have a nursery so I could be intersed by seeds , seedlings or bigger sizes.

Thank you for your help ! :winkie:

My e-mail : contact@terrelointaine.fr

• Upvote 1

Christophe,

Contact Patrick Schafer at E-mail PLS@Hughes.net and his tel. no. is 707 895-3722. He is located in northern California and is the only one that I know of that has these hybrids.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Christophe,

Contact Patrick Schafer at E-mail PLS@Hughes.net and his tel. no. is 707 895-3722. He is located in northern California and is the only one that I know of that has these hybrids.

Dick

Thank you very much ! :drool:

Just stumbled on to this thread......wow! those are some low temps. Is Patrick going to start marketing these do you think? There is definately a market. Beautiful Palms.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Just stumbled on to this thread......wow! those are some low temps. Is Patrick going to start marketing these do you think? There is definately a market. Beautiful Palms.

David,

Yes, Patrick has some of these available. In my opinion they are the best hybrid that he has done. It's a beautiful durable hybrid, but they are rather pricey, but well worth the money. Mine has grown so fast it almost doubles in size each year.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

• 1 year later...

Spear pull this winter after a low around 20 but foliage mostly undamaged, very small plant and am confident this one will gain cold tolerance as it ages.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My Butia X Parajubaea just lost its spear at only 28.5F. Why? Wet snow followed by below freezing temps for 2 days. Add in a consistent pattern of heavy frost. This palm took slightly cooler temperatures with no damage last year. This year it has lots of bronzing from ice sitting on the fronds for a extended period of time. Size wise, this guy is 5 feet tall with a softball size base. Not enough mass yet, I suppose. I've been treating with hydrogen peroxide. Let's see how it recovers.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 11 months later...

Smoked fronds at 16 F.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 3 years later...

Patrick's email isn't working. Does anyone have a current email?

Edited by Aussiegrower
correction

On 7/10/2017, 11:36:40, Aussiegrower said:

Patrick's email isn't working. Does anyone have a current email?

Try coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 104°, Lo 74° - showers

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 2 years later...

Protected with moving blankets. Yes. It's still small. I have a toralyi mule next to it. I'm hoping it's more leaf hardy.

13 minutes ago, buffy said:

Protected with moving blankets. Yes. It's still small. I have a toralyi mule next to it. I'm hoping it's more leaf hardy.

Tori mule how cool , Patric hybrid right ? 

T J 

3 hours ago, buffy said:

I’ve been thinking of grabbing a toralyi cross. I’ve got a sunka as well. My bxpjc is pretty darn quick.at least as fast as a mule if not faster. Hard to believe yours is still small. Shade? I’ve yet to see a good sized bxpjt. 

No. Gets smoked by bad frost. It's F1 mule variability. My leaves are very parajubaea like. I'm hoping the toralyi overtakes it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Tropicdoc, if it were me and I were against weather like you (and I believe much of the US south) saw in February, I would have done something similar for my palms.  Perhaps overkill depending on the temperatures but I would regret losing a palm when I knew I could have saved it (better safe than sorry, I suppose).  They look nice, I hope they made it.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Notice the lantana were wiped out to the ground. Coming back now though. Only palms damaged were ones I knew were marginal. 4 kings and 2 alfies. All Are still alive though after 22 F.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, Tropicdoc said:

4 kings and 2 alfies. All Are still alive though after 22 F.

That is great to hear !!! 

T J 

T J 

• 1 year later...

My BxPJT saw a low of 17° F its first winter in the ground. Protected by wrapping with a moving blanket. Zero leaf burn even with leaf tips un protected. 2 months later it did spear pull , already pushing new growth 

T J 

20230408_081955.jpg

• Like 2

T J 

• 11 months later...

1-14-24 Freezing rain  @24° Zero protection 2nd winter in the ground. Spear pulled again but quickly growing out of it. Wet winter hasn't helped its cause. 

T J 

T J