Butia X Parajubaea

21 posts in this topic

Mine is about head high to the tip of the fonds.  It's growing under open sky and very exposed.  It's come through 23 F with no damage, while a Parajubaea T V T and a Bismarkia near by show some damage.

Dick

I forgot to mention, while the Parajubaea and Bismarkia have been covered during the recent Jan. freeze, the Butia X Parajubaea has not been protected. I think it's going to be a super palm and will extend the range where palms can be grown.  Mine has been covered with hard frosts for the past month.

Gotta echo the hybrid praise.

I also have a butia x parajubaea, 18'' tall, already pinnate, that shows NO damage after fourteen degrees twice and lots of hours below twenty for night after night. I did put an old thin dish towel over it at some point, but the uncovered parts  were equally unscathed.

Jon T.

If there is any good new coming from our recent freezes, it's the hardiness of Butia X Parajubaea.  Jon, that's increadable that yours took 14F twice with no damage.  Mine took 23 F and night after night of freezing temps.  Nigel from the UK reported his took 50 nights of below freezing and down to 18F.  This has to be one of the most exciting new hybrids to come along in many years, and it looks like it's going to be a beautiful palm.  Mine grew like a weed in the ground last summer and I expect it will double in size this summer.  It's head high now.

Dick

Wow, you guys are getting me excited. I'm just now discovering the Butia-Parajubaea hybrid. Tell me how I could obtain one to trial here on the north Gulf Coast. Also, would be great to see pictures.

Jeremy

I have three in the ground from seedling planted out in 2004.  I have never protected them.  This past winter, I had three nights of 33F and one of 28-29F for a few hours overnight. They haven't shown any sensitivity to these temps.  Of the three, two are probably 8' tall to the tips.  One is lagging way behind - I have a sneaking suspicion it's pure Parajub.  Here is one (it's the one in the foreground).  Use the 6' fence for scale:

Steve

post-193-1182627954_thumb.jpg

Here's a view of the frond on-end where you can see the tilt of the rachis:

post-193-1182628089_thumb.jpg

And one final pic of the burlap:

post-193-1182628125_thumb.jpg

It looks quite attractive. Thanks for the pictures, Steve.

Small seedling just going pinnate. 25F and many hours and nights at or below freezing. No damage.

:drool: Where can I find this wonderfull hybrid ? :drool:

I'm french and this hybrid doesn't exist in Europe, or I don't know where ! (sorry for my bad english level ! :unsure: )

Somebody can help me to find it ? I have a nursery so I could be intersed by seeds , seedlings or bigger sizes.

Thank you for your help ! :winkie:

My e-mail : contact@terrelointaine.fr

Christophe,

Contact Patrick Schafer at E-mail PLS@Hughes.net and his tel. no. is 707 895-3722. He is located in northern California and is the only one that I know of that has these hybrids.

Dick

Christophe,

Contact Patrick Schafer at E-mail PLS@Hughes.net and his tel. no. is 707 895-3722. He is located in northern California and is the only one that I know of that has these hybrids.

Dick

Thank you very much ! :drool:

Just stumbled on to this thread......wow! those are some low temps. Is Patrick going to start marketing these do you think? There is definately a market. Beautiful Palms.

Just stumbled on to this thread......wow! those are some low temps. Is Patrick going to start marketing these do you think? There is definately a market. Beautiful Palms.

David,

Yes, Patrick has some of these available. In my opinion they are the best hybrid that he has done. It's a beautiful durable hybrid, but they are rather pricey, but well worth the money. Mine has grown so fast it almost doubles in size each year.

Dick

Spear pull this winter after a low around 20 but foliage mostly undamaged, very small plant and am confident this one will gain cold tolerance as it ages.

-Krishna

Can someone point me in a possible direction as to where I might be able to get one of these? Thanks!

My Butia X Parajubaea just lost its spear at only 28.5F. Why? Wet snow followed by below freezing temps for 2 days. Add in a consistent pattern of heavy frost. This palm took slightly cooler temperatures with no damage last year. This year it has lots of bronzing from ice sitting on the fronds for a extended period of time. Size wise, this guy is 5 feet tall with a softball size base. Not enough mass yet, I suppose. I've been treating with hydrogen peroxide. Let's see how it recovers.

Smoked fronds at 16 F.

Posted (edited)

Patrick's email isn't working. Does anyone have a current email?

Edited by Aussiegrower
correction

On 7/10/2017, 11:36:40, Aussiegrower said:

Patrick's email isn't working. Does anyone have a current email?

Try coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 104°, Lo 74° - showers