IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

impressive plantings of old, tall Sabal palmetto

Eric in Orlando

Stetson University is located in DeLand, FL (about 40 miles north of Orlando). It is a very nicely landscaped campus with historic buildings. The school was founded in 1883 and is Florida's oldest university. It is named after John Stetson, a benefactor and the famous hat maker.

A couple of the halls are thickly planted with old, tall Sabal palmetto

Flagler Hall

100_4461.jpg

Elizabeth Hall

100_4463.jpg

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Impressive is right :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Nice...very nice !!!

Thanks for share

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

and they all looked to be properly pruned !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

With your past Holiday Day house palm photo I was wondering when you were going to post these :) When you pull in seeing Elizabeth Hall (quite impressive in it own right) is nice but the palms really are a site.

The University is still quite small with about 2,500 and the campus is attempting to grow but it was a great learning experience as some of my senior classes had less then 10 people in them. Also pretty competitive in that you were ranked in your classes.

Bill

Zone 9A - West Central Florida in Valrico

East of Brandon and Tampa

Woah, look at all the Palmettos in the quad!!! They weren't there when I attended... At least I dont remeber them being there, but to get to the sororities from the my dorm was the other direction (looks like my dorm building has been demolished!) But that was back in the day, the era of Adam Sandler filming "The Water Boy" on campus. :D

I bet The Blind Pig is still alive and kickin' :mrlooney:

Very impressive. And IMO, yes properly trimmed up.

FSU campus has some tall goodies as well....including Phoenix when I was there last.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Also very impressive on campus, in that general area is what they did to some lawn areas. The tree canopy is very dense and it is very shady. So instead of turf thaey planted dwarf mondo-grass, Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nanus'. It is very dark green and dense and only a couple inches tall. Never seen such big expanses of it. Great lawn subsitute !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Thanks for showing a couple of really nice plantings of our state tree. They ARE very tall, and old! The first picture shows them not pruned at all, where as the second picture shows some of, not all might had been prune recently. BUT NOT over pruned by any means.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hello Eric

Why the bottom of the trunks in the photo of Elizabeth Hall are black?

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Those are some nicely planted Sabal palms. The dark coloration on the bottom of the palm trunks are probably stains left by the water from the sprinkler. Remember when you come to Florida look at the water before you drink. lol

Edited by Davidl

David

It is from the sprinklers hitting the trunks, maybe algae growing as a result

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

My, what a host of different photos you provide, very nice work Eric, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Eric,

Thanks for showing a couple of really nice plantings of our state tree. They ARE very tall, and old! The first picture shows them not pruned at all, where as the second picture shows some of, not all might had been prune recently. BUT NOT over pruned by any means.

I have never looked at a Sabal and said, "Man, that palm needs a trim!", so IMO any Sabal that has had green limbs removed is and always will be "over pruned". I think some of us don't realize that extra trimming removes the natural habitat of many native animals...

Eric,

I have never looked at a Sabal and said, "Man, that palm needs a trim!", so IMO any Sabal that has had green limbs removed is and always will be "over pruned". I think some of us don't realize that extra trimming removes the natural habitat of many native animals...

Well I'm glad that makes you feel all warm fuzzy. :mrlooney:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Gorgeous plantings!!!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

It is from the sprinklers hitting the trunks, maybe algae growing as a result

It looks very similar to Sabals scorched from burning understory.

Nice pics, as always, Eric.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds