IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix Root Magic

Pedro 65

This shot is of an Archontophoenix cunninghamia (Bangalow) trunk showing roots 1.5mtrs up the trunk. I always stop and look at this and try and figure out why this is so.... Its on a very popular walking trail half an hour away in part of the Stunning "Nightcap Nat Pk" . Pete :)

post-5709-092835000 1334305071_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's anticipating a landslide mrlooney.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

That King is confused...it looks like he has a skirt on! Those roots look like they're alive, That thing is going to get a boost in growth when they hit the ground!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I have cycads that have put out a pup or a new growing point from damage or injury. Is that what happened to this palm? The trunk above the aerial roots looks different than the trunk below. Is that from heavy rains, the trunk having been buried, or just mother nature showing us we haven't seen everything yet that she is capable of?

Leo

I occasionally see this on palms around here too. As a matter of fact my Hybrid P. roeb x reclin. is doing the same thing.

The only thing I can come up with is at some point some of the leaf bases clung tight and enough moisture, debris and what not got in there that the palm thought it was "rooting time" to get some of that GOOD STUFF!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Steve, Justin, Chris, Leo and Bill, I have no idea why this is so, stopped everytime Ive walked the trail over the past 25 years to look for any changes, the root mass is certainly expanding. Steve, maybe the palm is a forward thinker? :) Pete

Throw an air layer on that thing...

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Throw an air layer on that thing...

I was just starting to wonder if you could air layer some palms to shorten them at some point.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It seems to be a relatively common occurance on Archontophoenix species......have seen a number of A. cunninghamiana doing this along creeks in Lamington National Park and at Palm Grove at Mount Tamborine......also have seen A. alexandrae do the same thing up in this neck of the woods.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

It seems to be a relatively common occurance on Archontophoenix species......have seen a number of A. cunninghamiana doing this along creeks in Lamington National Park and at Palm Grove at Mount Tamborine......also have seen A. alexandrae do the same thing up in this neck of the woods.

Common this far up the trunk?? Seen plenty with exposed roots at the base but none this far up the trunk. I look fwd to your pics Andrew.

Common this far up the trunk?? Seen plenty with exposed roots at the base but none this far up the trunk. I look fwd to your pics Andrew.

Doubting me are you? Yes it is relatively common..........I am not saying that you will find it happening in every grove of Archontophoenix or on every 3rd specimen but I have seen specimens doing this in Palm Grove at Mount Tamborine, along Christmas Creek in Southern Lamington National Park, Brisbane Forest Park and also up in Eungella National Park to the west of Mackay......Do I have photographic evidence?.....no I do not but they are certainly there. Last time I hiked down in Lamington was over 15 years ago and I don't know when I will be there again!.......I may go to Eungella again in the next few years so then I will take some photos.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Doubting me are you? Yes it is relatively common..........I am not saying that you will find it happening in every grove of Archontophoenix or on every 3rd specimen but I have seen specimens doing this in Palm Grove at Mount Tamborine, along Christmas Creek in Southern Lamington National Park, Brisbane Forest Park and also up in Eungella National Park to the west of Mackay......Do I have photographic evidence?.....no I do not but they are certainly there. Last time I hiked down in Lamington was over 15 years ago and I don't know when I will be there again!.......I may go to Eungella again in the next few years so then I will take some photos.

Andrew, the roots are exposed for the full circumference of the trunk and for some 5 to 600mm depth, ive seen exposed roots a little up a trunk on one side before but nothing like this palm that i posted, That is why I posted it. :)

Hello for all

Aerial roots in Archontophoenix sp?

Yes, more common than you think

It grows in my city

post-1464-085723500 1334446046_thumb.jpg post-1464-032827000 1334446071_thumb.jpg

And these you can see where the borrows

post-1464-006713200 1334446085_thumb.jpg

Regards

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

here is a alex in my backyard that is putting out some roots bout 80cm above ground.This palm was damaged when young and has overlap on trunk as it grew

post-109-099629100 1334530817_thumb.jpg

Well, heres my Phoenix hybrid doing the same thing..

Here is my foot on the ground and you can see the rec. hybrid trunk I cut off...

post-27-015099400 1334532108_thumb.jpg

Then here with my heel on the groundand toes in the air, you can see the roots further up..

post-27-082693800 1334532164_thumb.jpg

And I noticed my Dypsis big red opening a leaf thru all the weeds :D

post-27-032441400 1334532332_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah Gary... yours looks like it was never removed from the pot... :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Couldn't help the colorful shoe you have on. :D Where would somebody go to look for a pair? Might want to fly into Bangkok this september a little more on the sporty side. :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill,

Couldn't help the colorful shoe you have on. :D Where would somebody go to look for a pair? Might want to fly into Bangkok this september a little more on the sporty side. :D

SHOES!? SHOES!? YOU sir, Cannot HANDLE my SHOES!

:blink::winkie:

Pete I see what you are saying, yeah it is quite common to see them with minor root emergence up the trunk but certainly not to the extent of the one in your photo. I have however seen a few similar to the one in your photo. :)

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

I saw this coconut in the Maldives a few years back.

It looks as if it on the verge of snapping off or as if it was on the verge of rotting at some point in its life.

Interesting phenomenon.

post-1782-043251800 1334737895_thumb.jpg

post-1782-031134000 1334737909_thumb.jpg