IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

can anyone tell me about Coccothrinax boschiana ?

trioderob

extremely trippy palm............................. :blink:

lives only a single limestone ridge on the penninsula of barahona - dominican republic.

gold and silver color

I would love to grow.

Edited by trioderob

Cool palm but very slow growing. There are at least a few people on this board that grow them so maybe they will have more to add.Good luck.

David

Here's an attempt to post a pic of the aforementioned Cocothrinax. Please forgive me if this doesn't work or come out very well.

Alan Brickey

thats not giving up,its just postponing the failure. :mrlooney:

• Like 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

My recollection seeing this palm in habitat at the 2006 Biennel in the DR, was our scaling step magote limestone cliffs with breathtaking views of the ocean. It grows on nearly pure limestone, very little soil or orgainic matter found. Yes, just like the C. ekmanii. I do not recall which issue (has to be Jan. 2007?), there was a detailed article in Palms about this species. Scott Zona may have been the author.

I suspect that this palm needs very, very good drainage from the habitat soil observations. It should be more salt tolerant than C. Eckmanii due to its exposure to salt spray. The cold tolerance is questionable. Its habitat is purely tropical probably never experiencing a low less than 50F. It must also be noted that many Coocothinax species endemic to Cuba and its tropical climate have proven to have a fair amount of cold tolerance relative to their native haunts.

Definitely a very slow palm! The towering pliable thin stems we saw in habitat had to be hundreds of years old. :interesting:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron,

Thanks for all the great information. For those of us that attended that biennial, it was a beautiful setting along the coast and was really quite spectacular. I remembered it was a pretty hot day and for those that were not used to the heat, a few struggled climbing up the hills and if my memory serves me right, I think two almost fainted and had to be helped back to the bus. Fond memories of a biennial. :D

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

thats not giving up,its just postponing the failure.

Failure is supposed to be plural, very, very plural.

Alan Brickey

Actually,there's more than a couple if you look around! :lol:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-042686500 1334380681_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I strongly recommend visiting the area if you ever get the chance. It's a long way out in the middle of nowhere, but well worth the trip, and there's plenty of other palms to see on the way.

The two pics posted are both almost identical to what I wanted to post.

I think it's one of the most awesome places I've been to view palms. The combination of the water, beach, and cliffs along with the spectacular trees and coastal views when you get up into them is fantastic. To top it off, there is a blowhole that sprays onto the area at the bottom of the trail up the hill, giving you a natural misting system that cools you off after the long walk.

• Upvote 1

Alan Brickey

I have some seeds that I planted a month ago. One has germinated, and it is just starting to make its first leaf.

Alan, Do you recall how far a drive that was from Santa Domingo and the name of that region of the DR. I really want to experience that view first-hand. Breathtaking!

Bob

Bob Helmick

Orlando, FL

Zone 9b

Alan, Do you recall how far a drive that was from Santa Domingo and the name of that region of the DR. I really want to experience that view first-hand. Breathtaking!

Bob

Bob - It is more a matter of travel time than distance. Its not like you are traveling on a US highway. I recall our Biennel buses leaving from the town of Barahona, it was an all day excursion. Barahona is around 90-100 miles from Santa Domingo. Upon reaching our staging point, we transfered to some specially outfitted 4 wheel drive vehicles. After passing through the last village, the vehicles treked up rugged terrain on newly created "paths"(couldn't call them roads) made for our purpose. When we were leaving in small groups, one vehicle broke down on the "path". The more able bodied had to hoof it outta there. This is definitely a remote and non tourist area. Also, whatever plans are made - one must factor in that the Dominican Republic operates on "Island Time". :P

The villages in the area are a bit lacking in facilities. Our visit consumed every bottled water and beer they had.

Alan - I forgot all about the blow hole until your post reminded me. Thanks for rekindling that memory. :)

• Like 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hi Bob:

The drive out of Santo Domingo isn't very far, some where between 40 to 60 miles. The problem is getting out of the city, and then when you're near the mountain ridge, the last bit of road is a bit rough. I went there on the Biennial, so the tour buses were left near Puerto Viejo, and we rode in 4 wheel drive trucks until we were within a short hiking distance of the trees. The road was rough and steep in only a few places, but I would advise using a high-clearance vehicle if you wish to attempt this trail. Do not attempt this road with a rental car, as the large rocks will probably break or puncture your oil pan, transmission, or gas tank. Four wheel drive may not be necessary in dry conditions if you are an experienced off-road driver, but is recommended. Wet weather is a very different situation, so four wheel drive and extra caution will be needed in that case, or better yet, wait for dry weather.

After taking Highway 2 out of Santo Domingo, we turned down Highway 519,and parked the buses at a wide area in the road where it turns north at the turn-off to Puerto Viejo. From there, we primarily used dirt roads to reach a small clearing, where we disembarked, and continued on foot to a tent at the beach. From there, the trail along the cliff becomes rough, steep, and somewhat treacherous. The brush had been cleared for us and ropes to aid ascent and descent were in place to help get up the places where the steep trail was covered in loose gravel. We were able to see smaller specimens before reaching the tent, but the outlines of hundreds of lofty palms on the distant ridge line was a tremendous magnet.

Here are GPS coordinates you can enter into Google Maps to show you where these places are located. Set it for satellite view, and just type in the numbers as shown, and an arrow will be shown at the indicated spot.

Refer to page 2 of Ryan's Biennial posts to see detailed pics of the area and trails in and out of this spot.

Tour bus parking spot: 18.350223 -70.835971

Clearing to begin hike to beach: 18.294164 -70.884494

Tent site: 18.292157 -70.884183

Area where the pics were taken: 18.290844 -70.885109

Weather permitting, I think this could be an easy day trip with proper vehicles, proper hiking dress,adequate food and water, and good knowledge of the roads in and out of Santo Domingo and the Barrera area. There are no facilities of any kind beyond the village of Barrera, so be well prepared for any incident that might arise.

• Like 1

Alan Brickey

Thanks Alan for the heads-up on the remoteness of the site. We get so spoiled that the reality of not having paved roads and facilities nearby were things I hadn't thought of. I am still determined to see it, though. How inspiring those pictures are.

Bob Helmick

Orlando, FL

Zone 9b