• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sabal Birmingham

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for Sabal Birmingham seedlings or seeds. I especially want seedlings but won't turn down seeds.

I am also looking for some sabal riverside if you got 'em.

I am looking for Sabal Birmingham seedlings or seeds. I especially want seedlings but won't turn down seeds.

What?

What?

I'm still trying to differentiate the sabals, but here's a little topic that I found on the palm. Perhaps I heard somewhere that it was a synonym for another sabal?

http://www.garysnursery.com/SabalBirmingham.html

I would like seedlings/seeds/small pots of S. Birmingham if it does exist.

Sounds like it might be a hybrid and with S. palmetto in it for sure.

That is quite possible. Looks similar to palmetto but grows slower and seems to have a fuller crown.

I Have Sable Riverside in 1gal and S. Birmingham in 5's S. McCurtin in 1g.

Eric

Sabal Birmingham is the most cold hardy "trunking" Sabal there is. It is a mystery Sabal of which no natural origin is known. It was found in a garden in Birmingham, Al. The link, given above, to Gary's Nursery is the best bet, but he does not ship. He does grow many multiple thousands and thousands of palms a year and is wholesale and retail so maybe he can tell you which one of his customers will ship. These are slower than S. palmetto but as I said extremely cold hardy.

I Have Sable Riverside in 1gal and S. Birmingham in 5's S. McCurtin in 1g.

Eric

Sabal Birmingham is the most cold hardy "trunking" Sabal there is. It is a mystery Sabal of which no natural origin is known. It was found in a garden in Birmingham, Al. The link, given above, to Gary's Nursery is the best bet, but he does not ship. He does grow many multiple thousands and thousands of palms a year and is wholesale and retail so maybe he can tell you which one of his customers will ship. These are slower than S. palmetto but as I said extremely cold hardy.

Thank you both for that. Good resources.

Sounds like it might be a hybrid and with S. palmetto in it for sure.

after further research I have found that it is said to be a cross between s.palmetto and s. minor.