Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sabal Birmingham

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for Sabal Birmingham seedlings or seeds. I especially want seedlings but won't turn down seeds.

I am also looking for some sabal riverside if you got 'em.

I am looking for Sabal Birmingham seedlings or seeds. I especially want seedlings but won't turn down seeds.

What?

What?

I'm still trying to differentiate the sabals, but here's a little topic that I found on the palm. Perhaps I heard somewhere that it was a synonym for another sabal?

http://www.garysnursery.com/SabalBirmingham.html

I would like seedlings/seeds/small pots of S. Birmingham if it does exist.

Sounds like it might be a hybrid and with S. palmetto in it for sure.

That is quite possible. Looks similar to palmetto but grows slower and seems to have a fuller crown.

I Have Sable Riverside in 1gal and S. Birmingham in 5's S. McCurtin in 1g.

Eric

Sabal Birmingham is the most cold hardy "trunking" Sabal there is. It is a mystery Sabal of which no natural origin is known. It was found in a garden in Birmingham, Al. The link, given above, to Gary's Nursery is the best bet, but he does not ship. He does grow many multiple thousands and thousands of palms a year and is wholesale and retail so maybe he can tell you which one of his customers will ship. These are slower than S. palmetto but as I said extremely cold hardy.

I Have Sable Riverside in 1gal and S. Birmingham in 5's S. McCurtin in 1g.

Eric

Sabal Birmingham is the most cold hardy "trunking" Sabal there is. It is a mystery Sabal of which no natural origin is known. It was found in a garden in Birmingham, Al. The link, given above, to Gary's Nursery is the best bet, but he does not ship. He does grow many multiple thousands and thousands of palms a year and is wholesale and retail so maybe he can tell you which one of his customers will ship. These are slower than S. palmetto but as I said extremely cold hardy.

Thank you both for that. Good resources.

Sounds like it might be a hybrid and with S. palmetto in it for sure.

after further research I have found that it is said to be a cross between s.palmetto and s. minor.