IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus glaucescens

LJG

Hi,

I figured I would ask this here. I have a Syagrus glaucescens that is dividing like a Dypsis would. I Googled this but I show them all single. Is this something that happens in cultivation or do I have one that might have just decided to grow odd?

post-649-072829600 1334185327_thumb.jpg

post-649-050461300 1334185342_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I would have to answer in Spanish.

Sorry, I don't know how.

:blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I would have to answer in Spanish.

Sorry, I don't know how.

:blink:

Hi Bill

written in English and I translate into Spanish

Cheers

Edited by pindo

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Sorry Jose.. My attempt at humor does translate very well in either English OR Spanish! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi,

I figured I would ask this here. I have a Syagrus glaucescens that is dividing like a Dypsis would. I Googled this but I show them all single. Is this something that happens in cultivation or do I have one that might have just decided to grow odd?

Nice palm, Len! How long have you had it; how old do you think it is? I am on the hunt for one, but they are not easy to find... I feel guilty writing this in ENGLISH

Hi,

Nice palm, Len! How long have you had it; how old do you think it is? I am on the hunt for one, but they are not easy to find... I feel guilty writing this in ENGLISH

Thanks. I bought this from Jeff Searle in 2007 as a plant just coming out of strap leaves. It was in a 3 gallon so it had a little size. It actually really started growing the last two years in the ground. I bought it because I had never seen this palm for sale before and still have not since.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hi,

Thanks. I bought this from Jeff Searle in 2007 as a plant just coming out of strap leaves. It was in a 3 gallon so it had a little size. It actually really started growing the last two years in the ground. I bought it because I had never seen this palm for sale before and still have not since.

From Jeff--go figure! If he had a list of availability, I would be there every weekend! Wonder if he has any left-that's a lot faster than I would have figured this palm to be. Thanks for the reply, Len.

Hi,

From Jeff--go figure! If he had a list of availability, I would be there every weekend! Wonder if he has any left-that's a lot faster than I would have figured this palm to be. Thanks for the reply, Len.

This is another reason I asked here. It sure looks like Glaucescens but with it splitting I am hoping it is not really one of those ugly clumped Syagrus and will start to change appearance.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

This is another reason I asked here. It sure looks like Glaucescens but with it splitting I am hoping it is not really one of those ugly clumped Syagrus and will start to change appearance.

Sorry Jose.. My attempt at humor does translate very well in either English OR Spanish! :D

don't worry Bill, mine was also a joke :D

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

"Ugly Syagrus" lol! Yeah, I would say(besides Hyophorbe)Syagrus is one of the ugliest genus of palm--very few are actually visually stunning. Glaucescens is by no means attractive, but it is very rarely cultivated and it's in the "unique" category. Even if it's a hybrid, your palm looks great, Len. Are the leaves as rigid as they look?

Yes, very stiff. And blue underneath. This and Amara are the only Syagrus growing in my yard :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

"Ugly Syagrus" lol! Yeah, I would say(besides Hyophorbe)Syagrus is one of the ugliest genus of palm--very few are actually visually stunning. Glaucescens is by no means attractive, but it is very rarely cultivated and it's in the "unique" category. Even if it's a hybrid, your palm looks great, Len. Are the leaves as rigid as they look?

Yes, very stiff. And blue underneath. This and Amara are the only Syagrus growing in my yard :)

I have botryophora, amara, schizophylla, cearensis, stenopetala, "super parrot" and coronata. Some of those are just for my nursery, and will never be planted. Vermicularis is a really nice palm, that I would plant, after seeing large adults.

I lied, I have botryophora too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

That is a pure S.Glaucescence. It could just be pushing two spears at the same time and will not divide. Either way it will look good.

You have done a fine job w/ yours, it looks very healthy.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

That is a pure S.Glaucescence. It could just be pushing two spears at the same time and will not divide. Either way it will look good.

You have done a fine job w/ yours, it looks very healthy.

Thanks Mark. The spears are basically the same size, so this is why I think it is splitting. I guess I will know by the end of summer as this plant usually pushes out 3 fronds a year.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Mark

Good to hear from you !-- maybe it got injured ? I think I have seen the S. duartei divided in memory

but I will go through photos and see. As Mark said its a pretty palm.

Speaking of Syagrus glaucescens. I had a sleepless night last night, so I headed to the greenhouse to discover one of my purported Butia eriospatha X Syagrus glaucescens seeds sending down a root. I can't even imagine what this thing will look like. I'll be curious to see if it turns out to be the real thing.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

HI Len; the Lorenzi book 'Brazilian Flora' states that it is always single, with an upright stem. Perhaps the double spears are a tribute to your excellent care! :winkie:

San Francisco, California

Speaking of Syagrus glaucescens. I had a sleepless night last night, so I headed to the greenhouse to discover one of my purported Butia eriospatha X Syagrus glaucescens seeds sending down a root. I can't even imagine what this thing will look like. I'll be curious to see if it turns out to be the real thing.

Congratulations Buffy!

You can be sure it is a hybrid!smilie.gif

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

HI Len; the Lorenzi book 'Brazilian Flora' states that it is always single, with an upright stem. Perhaps the double spears are a tribute to your excellent care! :winkie:

Yeah, thats the ticket! "Excellent care". :drool::lol:

Well, then if Lorenzi states single then it must have been most likely damaged from something. Maybe fungus or insect to cause it to split.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Sure it's not one of those Syagrus r x trachycarpus hybrids?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Doesn't BS Man have one? Yours looks different to me. Maybe it's the lack of weeds? Seriously though, bills looks stiffer and bluer from what I remember

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 1 year later...

Update. So it did split ........... and flowered. Weird.

post-649-0-14297400-1380220617_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hi,

there was a clumping syagrus at nong nooch,cant remember the name of it but it was pretty cool.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

What are you going to do with all of that pollen?

Plants look great by the way.

Too lazy to do anything other then leave it.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

A splitting Syagrus glaucescens, That is really weird !! congratulations !

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Lovely palm...it looks like a hybrid with S. cearensis, they always form twin trunks

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Lovely palm...it looks like a hybrid with S. cearensis, they always form twin trunks

Never thought of that. It came from Glaucescens seed. But it seems to have longer leaves and is certainly faster then other Glaucescens I have seen growing. Do they form natural hybrids in the wild?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I don't think so Len, their natural habitats are at least 800 Km apart...it would've been an intentional hybrid in this case...or maybe a cross with another clumping Syagrus species involved, from the southeast region in Brazil... :hmm:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Update. So it did split ........... and flowered. Weird.

Wow, that puppy is weird! I think it's awesome, whatever it is--hope it makes viable seed and Len wants to trade me something for some...

They may not be 'visually stunning' but I don't think all of them are ugly. The amara is very pretty. We also have a sancona which makes a really nice contast between nearby palms that have entirely different leaf types. I find both the botryophora and schizophylla ugly but we have both because they are so different from our other palms. (Incidentally, Pauleen Sullivan had a schizophylla in her Big Island garden so perhaps she liked them too. If I ever find a splitting glaucescens like Len's I will grab it!

Lee

Hi,

there was a clumping syagrus at nong nooch,cant remember the name of it but it was pretty cool.

LUCKY YOU! Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Len,

That's pretty amazing. Short of running a DNA test, it might be impossible to actually tell what you have. These original seeds were bought from who knows who, so it would be impossible to trace it back and from where they came from. I just planted my first one from the same batch only a few months ago, so I will really keep a close eye on it. "that Searle guy really does come up with some cool stuff" from time to time. Lol!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I saw it while there Jeff. See how nice it looks well grown? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin