• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
    • PALMTALK PERVERT   02/01/2016

Just a heads up to everybody - there is a "pervert" trying to crash PalmTalk with vulgar language and discussions of having sex with palms. It may be coincidence, but someone also called a palm seller I know and started asking him questions about "having sex with palms."  I have a possible name and location. His IP was from San Diego Cox and it geolocated to around Mesa College. I won't divulge anything else because sometimes this type of information is not accurate. But I do have a name and address. But I just wanted everyone to know, and ask that you inform me if you come across any information, or see anything that should not be on PT.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Syagrus glaucescens

38 posts in this topic

Hi,

I figured I would ask this here. I have a Syagrus glaucescens that is dividing like a Dypsis would. I Googled this but I show them all single. Is this something that happens in cultivation or do I have one that might have just decided to grow odd?

post-649-072829600 1334185327_thumb.jpg

post-649-050461300 1334185342_thumb.jpg

i cant answer your question, but very nice palm!

I would have to answer in Spanish.

Sorry, I don't know how.

:blink:

I would have to answer in Spanish.

Sorry, I don't know how.

:blink:

Hi Bill

written in English and I translate into Spanish

Cheers

Edited by pindo

Sorry Jose.. My attempt at humor does translate very well in either English OR Spanish! :D

Hi,

I figured I would ask this here. I have a Syagrus glaucescens that is dividing like a Dypsis would. I Googled this but I show them all single. Is this something that happens in cultivation or do I have one that might have just decided to grow odd?

Nice palm, Len! How long have you had it; how old do you think it is? I am on the hunt for one, but they are not easy to find... I feel guilty writing this in ENGLISH

Hi,

Nice palm, Len! How long have you had it; how old do you think it is? I am on the hunt for one, but they are not easy to find... I feel guilty writing this in ENGLISH

Thanks. I bought this from Jeff Searle in 2007 as a plant just coming out of strap leaves. It was in a 3 gallon so it had a little size. It actually really started growing the last two years in the ground. I bought it because I had never seen this palm for sale before and still have not since.

Hi,

Thanks. I bought this from Jeff Searle in 2007 as a plant just coming out of strap leaves. It was in a 3 gallon so it had a little size. It actually really started growing the last two years in the ground. I bought it because I had never seen this palm for sale before and still have not since.

From Jeff--go figure! If he had a list of availability, I would be there every weekend! Wonder if he has any left-that's a lot faster than I would have figured this palm to be. Thanks for the reply, Len.

Hi,

From Jeff--go figure! If he had a list of availability, I would be there every weekend! Wonder if he has any left-that's a lot faster than I would have figured this palm to be. Thanks for the reply, Len.

This is another reason I asked here. It sure looks like Glaucescens but with it splitting I am hoping it is not really one of those ugly clumped Syagrus and will start to change appearance.

This is another reason I asked here. It sure looks like Glaucescens but with it splitting I am hoping it is not really one of those ugly clumped Syagrus and will start to change appearance.

Sorry Jose.. My attempt at humor does translate very well in either English OR Spanish! :D

don't worry Bill, mine was also a joke :D

"Ugly Syagrus" lol! Yeah, I would say(besides Hyophorbe)Syagrus is one of the ugliest genus of palm--very few are actually visually stunning. Glaucescens is by no means attractive, but it is very rarely cultivated and it's in the "unique" category. Even if it's a hybrid, your palm looks great, Len. Are the leaves as rigid as they look?

Yes, very stiff. And blue underneath. This and Amara are the only Syagrus growing in my yard :)

"Ugly Syagrus" lol! Yeah, I would say(besides Hyophorbe)Syagrus is one of the ugliest genus of palm--very few are actually visually stunning. Glaucescens is by no means attractive, but it is very rarely cultivated and it's in the "unique" category. Even if it's a hybrid, your palm looks great, Len. Are the leaves as rigid as they look?

Yes, very stiff. And blue underneath. This and Amara are the only Syagrus growing in my yard :)

I have botryophora, amara, schizophylla, cearensis, stenopetala, "super parrot" and coronata. Some of those are just for my nursery, and will never be planted. Vermicularis is a really nice palm, that I would plant, after seeing large adults.

I lied, I have botryophora too.

That is a pure S.Glaucescence. It could just be pushing two spears at the same time and will not divide. Either way it will look good.

You have done a fine job w/ yours, it looks very healthy.

That is a pure S.Glaucescence. It could just be pushing two spears at the same time and will not divide. Either way it will look good.

You have done a fine job w/ yours, it looks very healthy.

Thanks Mark. The spears are basically the same size, so this is why I think it is splitting. I guess I will know by the end of summer as this plant usually pushes out 3 fronds a year.

Mark

Good to hear from you !-- maybe it got injured ? I think I have seen the S. duartei divided in memory

but I will go through photos and see. As Mark said its a pretty palm.

Speaking of Syagrus glaucescens. I had a sleepless night last night, so I headed to the greenhouse to discover one of my purported Butia eriospatha X Syagrus glaucescens seeds sending down a root. I can't even imagine what this thing will look like. I'll be curious to see if it turns out to be the real thing.

HI Len; the Lorenzi book 'Brazilian Flora' states that it is always single, with an upright stem. Perhaps the double spears are a tribute to your excellent care! :winkie:

Speaking of Syagrus glaucescens. I had a sleepless night last night, so I headed to the greenhouse to discover one of my purported Butia eriospatha X Syagrus glaucescens seeds sending down a root. I can't even imagine what this thing will look like. I'll be curious to see if it turns out to be the real thing.

Congratulations Buffy!

You can be sure it is a hybrid!smilie.gif

HI Len; the Lorenzi book 'Brazilian Flora' states that it is always single, with an upright stem. Perhaps the double spears are a tribute to your excellent care! :winkie:

Yeah, thats the ticket! "Excellent care". :drool::lol:

Well, then if Lorenzi states single then it must have been most likely damaged from something. Maybe fungus or insect to cause it to split.

Sure it's not one of those Syagrus r x trachycarpus hybrids?

Doesn't BS Man have one? Yours looks different to me. Maybe it's the lack of weeds? Seriously though, bills looks stiffer and bluer from what I remember

Update. So it did split ........... and flowered. Weird.

post-649-0-14297400-1380220617_thumb.jpg

Hi,

there was a clumping syagrus at nong nooch,cant remember the name of it but it was pretty cool.

What are you going to do with all of that pollen?

Plants look great by the way.

What are you going to do with all of that pollen?

Plants look great by the way.

Too lazy to do anything other then leave it.

A clumping Jube....

A splitting Syagrus glaucescens, That is really weird !! congratulations !

Lovely palm...it looks like a hybrid with S. cearensis, they always form twin trunks

Lovely palm...it looks like a hybrid with S. cearensis, they always form twin trunks

Never thought of that. It came from Glaucescens seed. But it seems to have longer leaves and is certainly faster then other Glaucescens I have seen growing. Do they form natural hybrids in the wild?

I don't think so Len, their natural habitats are at least 800 Km apart...it would've been an intentional hybrid in this case...or maybe a cross with another clumping Syagrus species involved, from the southeast region in Brazil... :hmm:

Update. So it did split ........... and flowered. Weird.

Wow, that puppy is weird! I think it's awesome, whatever it is--hope it makes viable seed and Len wants to trade me something for some...

They may not be 'visually stunning' but I don't think all of them are ugly. The amara is very pretty. We also have a sancona which makes a really nice contast between nearby palms that have entirely different leaf types. I find both the botryophora and schizophylla ugly but we have both because they are so different from our other palms. (Incidentally, Pauleen Sullivan had a schizophylla in her Big Island garden so perhaps she liked them too. If I ever find a splitting glaucescens like Len's I will grab it!

Lee

Hi,

there was a clumping syagrus at nong nooch,cant remember the name of it but it was pretty cool.

LUCKY YOU! Lee

Len,

That's pretty amazing. Short of running a DNA test, it might be impossible to actually tell what you have. These original seeds were bought from who knows who, so it would be impossible to trace it back and from where they came from. I just planted my first one from the same batch only a few months ago, so I will really keep a close eye on it. "that Searle guy really does come up with some cool stuff" from time to time. Lol!

I saw it while there Jeff. See how nice it looks well grown? :)