• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.

Beccariophoenix windows

13 posts in this topic

My Beccariophoenix is just a yellow mess. it needs a more sheltered spot and some tlc. Free, you dig it. In ground 4 years from a 5 gal.

Here's a few pics of it. It gets full, all day, inland sun and once the weather cools down it just stops taking up nutrients and yellows out. I'm convinced it's a nutrient issue, not sunburn, since it was green last summer. I've tried acidifying the soil, lots of iron, magnesium, potassium, nothing works once the cold weather hits. It's about 4" diameter at the base and very well rooted in. It's a shame because it seems like it's growing strong; it just can't stay green. Rootball will be about 20 gallon size minimum.

post-126-091604100 1333988263_thumb.jpg

post-126-040607900 1333988269_thumb.jpg

Is that the skull cracking palm?

:blink:

ndfgbaergbe.

Is that the skull cracking palm?

:blink:

No. The skull crackin' palm is the B. madagascarensis in the background. The same one you helped me transport and sled down the hill Bill.

Yeah, I've had no luck with that Beccariophoenix at all.

Too bad, because they just rock the house in Hawaii.

You still have it? It Looks like it is surrounded by boulders ? You think it'll dig without too much trouble?

Tks

Nickolas

Do you think it would do better at the top of the hill because it's hotter?

Nickolas, come and get it, it's yours. it should dig great because it's sitting in a rock bowl below. you can dig around the gopher cage and the mesh will hold the root ball together.

Jastin, I don't know man. it probably wants more shade too

1334205392' post=522434]

Nickolas, come and get it, it's yours. it should dig great because it's sitting in a rock bowl below. you can dig around the gopher cage and the mesh will hold the root ball together.

Jastin, I don't know man. it probably wants more shade too

Cool,I'd love to see if i can bring er back! , what's good for you weekends or weekdays , I'm kinda booked up this weekend, but maybe next week....

Tks

Nickolas

By the end of summer it'll be lookin gooooooood. Weekdays or weekend.

619 206 7782

Matt,

I'm sorry to hear your having so much trouble with this palm. I find it hard to beleive that it's too hot. Can't be any hotter there than here. It has to be nutritional, and that can be hard to figure out. Did you ever have a screen put over it when it was smaller to provide some shade and ease the stress? Remember, a palm that is struggling for 6, 8 or even 10 months still can pull through and end up looking good once again.

I hate to see you give in, just trying to come up with something.

Jeff

I know man. It's been 4 years though. This palm cannot uptake nutrients in our cold. if it's in the shade it can stay green, but if left out, it yellows and sunburns. But youre right, it's a nutrient deficiency due to being grown in a less than optimal climate. I was able to solve this problem with my hyophorbes by moving them under my houses overhang, but I'm out of room under my overhang