IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis pilulifera in habitat

olivier971

Some pictures i took in january in Analamazaotra's Parc (Andasibe)

It's a so beautiful palm ... An incredible meeting :drool:

GBPIX_photo_515108.jpg

GBPIX_photo_515109.jpg

GBPIX_photo_515110.jpg

GBPIX_photo_515111.jpg

Olivier
My Flickr Album
Palmeraie Union Society - Ti-Palm' Society

An impressive sight! I'd love to be there when an old frond peels off, to see if it sports that famous orange color underneath. The angle of your photos suggests a height of maybe 7 meters? These are famously slow growers; I wonder how old the palm is when reaching this height.

As always, many thanks for posting your habitat photos, Olivier.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Fantastic Olivier! Thank you!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

An impressive sight! I'd love to be there when an old frond peels off, to see if it sports that famous orange color underneath. The angle of your photos suggests a height of maybe 7 meters? These are famously slow growers; I wonder how old the palm is when reaching this height.

As always, many thanks for posting your habitat photos, Olivier.

Olivier, I'm with Kim. Did you witness any hint of orange on any of the crownshafts that you saw? I can't see any in your pics.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I always rush to open your posts and yet again am not disappointed! As an aside are there documented populations of the "Orange Crush" form in habitat or was this just a one-off collection?

As an aside - I see some irregularity or "plumoseness" in the fronds in Olivier's pics, whereas all the Orange Crush palms here in Hawaii are remarkable for their almost perfect symmetry and no "irregularies" with the leaflet arrangement - with the possible exception of one plant I think I remember Bo saying he had that was plumose.

Kona, on The Big Island

As an aside - I see some irregularity or "plumoseness" in the fronds in Olivier's pics, whereas all the Orange Crush palms here in Hawaii are remarkable for their almost perfect symmetry and no "irregularies" with the leaflet arrangement - with the possible exception of one plant I think I remember Bo saying he had that was plumose.

Yes, that's what I meant Dean. PoM describes them as having irregularly arranged pinnae (i.e. plumose). Are there other large Dypsis with regular and plumose forms? Some start regular and go plumose so maybe some just get stuck. Would be interesting to know if Orange Crush is a common variation or a rare one.

I couldn't help but make the same observation. I planted 52 "Orange crush" in my old garden. 51 had the perfect symmetry of the leaflets that Dean is describing above, and only one had irregularly grouped leaflets. Other than the leaflets, that individual looked identical to the other 51. And to refresh everyone's memory - when my first Orange crush began to produce flowers and fruit/seed, I sent samples to John Dransfield at Kew. He identified it positively as Dypsis pilulifera.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Don't rush to join the Orange Crush . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What a beauty, that tall green trunk is mesmerising...

Thanks for posting...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I couldn't help but make the same observation. I planted 52 "Orange crush" in my old garden. 51 had the perfect symmetry of the leaflets that Dean is describing above, and only one had irregularly grouped leaflets. Other than the leaflets, that individual looked identical to the other 51. And to refresh everyone's memory - when my first Orange crush began to produce flowers and fruit/seed, I sent samples to John Dransfield at Kew. He identified it positively as Dypsis pilulifera.

Bo-Göran

Bo,

Do you happen to remember if you ever saw any orange on that one individual? Of course I am speculating that maybe the "regular" D. pilu. is the "orange or oranger form," and the irregular D. pilu. may be a "green or greener form."

Kona, on The Big Island

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo, Is that grouped and fanned or just grouped? They need to be grouped and fanned to give the plumose look.

cheers

Richard

Richard,

Hmmm...I truly don't recall, and I don't have access to the palm anymore. I know I have close-up shots of the leaflets, but they are among thousands and thousands of other photos over the last several years. Would be tough to find. I know I posted something with photos showing the differences but it had to be at least a couple of years ago. I am sure before 2010.

Bo-Göran

EDIT - but I don't recall that "52nd" palm having a plumose look. The palm in Olivier's photos above definitely strikes me as a different palm from what I have been used to as Orange crush.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I agree, my orange crush ( Piuliffera ) has wider leaflets very regular and closely spaced. Those don't look like any of Bo's or mine.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

hhhmmm

I've already beat this horse... so i'll just quietly observe.. :winkie:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Richard - WOW - Google! Now, why didn't I think of that!? :mrlooney: Thanks! And I find John Dransfield's comment "I want to warn you about taking the descriptions in POM as being gospel truth. They are only true to what we knew in 1995" particularly interesting. :)

Bo-Göran

Richard - WOW - Google! Now, why didn't I think of that!? :mrlooney: Thanks! And I find John Dransfield's comment "I want to warn you about taking the descriptions in POM as being gospel truth. They are only true to what we knew in 1995" particularly interesting. :)

Bo-Göran

In POM, Dypsis pilulifera is said to be tristichous. Anyone find this to be or not be the case?

I like the link.. thanks Rich.

I have forgot entirely that John had expressed some doubts.. did he ever return to address this in a different thread I wonder?

I like the link.. thanks Rich.

I have forgot entirely that John had expressed some doubts.. did he ever return to address this in a different thread I wonder?

Bill,

Not that I know of. Considering the fact that it's now been 17 years since POM was published, I don't think it should be surprising to any of us that there are likely to be lots of revisions to POM. Not to mention many new species. And even a new genus (Tahina). And who knows, probably even more. Madagascar is about 35% larger than California. That's a LOT of territory to cover, especially considering how remote and inaccessible many areas are.

Bo-Göran

In POM, Dypsis pilulifera is said to be tristichous. Anyone find this to be or not be the case?

I think that palm above is tristichous though this is a hard feature to determine without being directly underneath. My Orange Crush (a sample of one!) is also growing in three planes.