IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona muelleri

Alberto

Some time ago Gileno gave me a seedling of Livistona muelleri.After that I also bought some seeds of this species from RPS but the plants obtained from this seedst look different.

FIRST 4 pics are from Gileno´s palm. More a grey/green collor.

post-465-068433000 1333843359_thumb.jpg

post-465-076777600 1333843403_thumb.jpg

post-465-080503500 1333843580_thumb.jpg

post-465-003532600 1333844670_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

post-465-084993400 1333847422_thumb.jpg

post-465-053417900 1333847502_thumb.jpg

post-465-036312100 1333847566_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

This is one of the Listona sp obtained by seeds. The collor is more light green, shorter leaflets on the fans and the leaflets also are a little curved.

Some time ago Gileno gave me a seedling of Livistona muelleri.After that I also bought some seeds of this species from RPS but the plants obtained from this seedst look different.

This little Livistona was defoliated last winter, but grew all this new leaves this season.

This little Livistona was defoliated last winter, but grew all this new leaves this season.

Alberto,

The first palm looks like L. muelleri.

The second palm looks like what I have been calling L. nitida, mostly because of the spine direction and leaf form.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

The second palm looks like what I have been calling L. nitida, mostly because of the spine direction and leaf form.

I have livistona nitida is totally different from that of alberto

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Alberto

Here's how it looks a few years into the future. Real pretty orange flowers . Mine burns and defoliates every year even mild winters but it is about 3 m tall.

Best regardss

Ed

post-562-001207400 1334078986_thumb.jpg

post-562-079755300 1334079013_thumb.jpg

Alberto,

Seedlings of muellerii and benthamii look somewhat alike, both having almost complete separation of leaflets down to the hastula. But muellerii leaflets are stiffer and grey-green, not glossy, while benthamii leaflets are lax and bend easily and are glossy emerald green. Petiole spines on the benthamii are pale and can also be bent easily.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Alberto,

What's the lowest temp these two palms have seen?

The greener Livistona sp was planted out this last spring so it didn´t see negative temperatures.

The Livistona muelleri from Gileno saw near -5 ° C at grond level and was totally defoliated but recovered very fast.Maybe its adapted to lose the leaves due to fires in Australia (like Allagoptera campestris here)

Hi Alberto,

I'll have to take a few pictures of mine here, both muellerii and benthamii to compare...

I guess Mike is correct, benthamii has softer leaves...

By the way, is that the red wine you are taking to our braai in South Africa? :winkie:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Great pictures, That's my kind of object for scale! Man, Drinkin straight from the bottle huh?

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I have a small L. benthamii in a pot. The floppy leaflets radiate 360 degrees from the center (I think this is known as "orbicular"). However, the leaflets are not all the same length so they make an oblique circle. I don't have mulleri. I put the potted benhamii inside during freezes so I can only speculate that it would defoliate if frosted or frozen. It seems like a slow grower but that might be because its potted. Planning to relocate to central Florida so I'll put it in the ground down there. FWIW, I have L. drudei that defoliates every year. Though it recovers in a flash, I've concluded its foliage is about as hardy as banana. :huh:

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Alberto,

Seedlings of muellerii and benthamii look somewhat alike, both having almost complete separation of leaflets down to the hastula. But muellerii leaflets are stiffer and grey-green, not glossy, while benthamii leaflets are lax and bend easily and are glossy emerald green. Petiole spines on the benthamii are pale and can also be bent easily.

Mike, your description fits exactly on my two Livistona species. The spines of the sedond Livistona bends and the leaflets also are more soft compared to L, muelleri. So I think its L. benthami....Thanks!

Nice L. muelleri you have there Ed. I hope mine will look like this some day. It definately has a " copernicia look " on it!

Hi Alberto,

I'll have to take a few pictures of mine here, both muellerii and benthamii to compare...

By the way, is that the red wine you are taking to our braai in South Africa? :winkie:

South Africa,Thailand here we gooooooooooooooooo!!!............. And the wine we will buy there!!!!!drool.gifbiggrin.gif

Ons gaan nou al 'n bietjie afrikaans praat:

Sal dit goed smaak, wyn met wild gebraai vleis. Ek dink van wel, hé Gileno?biggrin.gif

I´d like to see both your Livistona seedlings.....................

Great pictures, That's my kind of object for scale! Man, Drinkin straight from the bottle huh?

drool.gifNot straight from the bottle. It´s not so bad!!!.......biggrin.gif

drool.gifNot straight from the bottle. It´s not so bad!!!.......biggrin.gif

I have a small L. benthamii in a pot. The floppy leaflets radiate 360 degrees from the center (I think this is known as "orbicular"). However, the leaflets are not all the same length so they make an oblique circle. I don't have mulleri. I put the potted benhamii inside during freezes so I can only speculate that it would defoliate if frosted or frozen. It seems like a slow grower but that might be because its potted. Planning to relocate to central Florida so I'll put it in the ground down there. FWIW, I have L. drudei that defoliates every year. Though it recovers in a flash, I've concluded its foliage is about as hardy as banana. :huh:

Thanks! This description also fit my little seedligs : "However, the leaflets are not all the same length so they make an oblique circle. " The leaflet arrangement also is like a "cone" form with different lenghts....

Thanks! This description also fit my little seedligs : "However, the leaflets are not all the same length so they make an oblique circle. " The leaflet arrangement also is like a "cone" form with different lenghts....

Keith, i read your topic about your L, benthami and also Mikes reply:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

I grew them outside in the ground for many years in the Orlando area. They are one of the more cold-hardy Australian Livs like rigida and muelleri, but in one bad winter (2000-01) some of the leaflets fried while the petioles and hastula remained green. I imagine you could lose them in an unseasonably cold winter in Jax.

Keith, i read your topic about your L, benthami and also Mikes reply:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

I grew them outside in the ground for many years in the Orlando area. They are one of the more cold-hardy Australian Livs like rigida and muelleri, but in one bad winter (2000-01) some of the leaflets fried while the petioles and hastula remained green. I imagine you could lose them in an unseasonably cold winter in Jax.

Hi Alberto,

South Africa,Thailand here we gooooooooooooooooo!!!............. And the wine we will buy there!!!!!drool.gifbiggrin.gif

Ons gaan nou al 'n bietjie afrikaans praat:

Sal dit goed smaak, wyn met wild gebraai vleis. Ek dink van wel, hé Gileno?biggrin.gif

Ôxente, help me Dennis !!!

I know what it means...Not many Livistonas in South Africa, hmm? but reading your message I guess the red wine is all gone by now...sniff :)

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers