29 replies to this topic

#1 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Okay.

I was out driving about, on my way to a possible source of mulch, etc., in Pico Rivera, California, when

WHOA! Does that sign say what I think it says?

:blink:

002.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well suh, I do bee-leeve it say Dork.

Street.

I sat in the car and laughed. Just the sheer silliness of it all.

These kids walking by just smiled.

Zooom in for a better view.

001.JPG

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#3 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

This begged other questions.

Like, if this was named after someone, then WHO?

Are they still alive?

Or, was it one of those cases where a real estate developer let his kids name all the streets? :lol:

In any event, who lives on Dork Street?

I turned the Green Monster down to take a look.

Nothing particularly dorky here. Looks like one of those private roads like the one I live on.

003.JPG

#4 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Dork is not a long street, and it ended at Amistad.

005.JPG

I still laugh. Like now . . .

#5 pogobob

pogobob

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Okay.

I was out driving about, on my way to a possible source of mulch, etc., in Pico Rivera, California, when

002.JPG

You finally got a street named for you, way to go! :mrlooney:
Robert de Jong
San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

#6 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Okay.

002.JPG

You finally got a street named for you, way to go! :mrlooney:

:lol:

#7 paulgila

paulgila

pohonkelapa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

haha!
"dork" is an old whaling term,believe it or else. :interesting:
the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

#8 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

haha!

wHALING?

Tell me more.

#9 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

A dork is what you get when a duck and a stork make some sweet lovin'
"it's not dead it's sleeping"
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean
avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

#10 Lowey

Lowey

• IPS MEMBER
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

:floor: :floor:
Bruce
Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3000mm of rain a year or 10 feet if you prefer - Temp Range 14c to 38c

#11 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

How about Stuck?

#12 Jastin

Jastin

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

No parking on Mondays due to Dork sweeping.
Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

#13 paulgila

paulgila

pohonkelapa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

look it up. lots of words that we never think about have original meanings that have been forgotten. :rolleyes:

still "warning-free."

#14 Gonzer

Gonzer

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Y. Urah Dork was a famous local politician from the late 1800's when Pico Rivera was in it's infancy.

God, guns, and Rock 'n Roll

b80cdd7e-b6b7-4781-bb21-fdc7b6a67cd2_zps

#15 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 6,101 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Y. Urah Dork :floor: was a famous local politician from the late 1800's when Pico Rivera was in it's infancy.

:lol: ... and a Dooms Dave ancestor from the maternal side of the family? :winkie:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#16 pogobob

pogobob

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Dreams give me a Dork all the time! :drool:
Robert de Jong
San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

#17 Gonzer

Gonzer

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Dreams give me a Dork all the time! :drool:

Man! I forgot all about THAT context!

God, guns, and Rock 'n Roll

b80cdd7e-b6b7-4781-bb21-fdc7b6a67cd2_zps

#18 paulgila

paulgila

pohonkelapa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 13,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

TMI,pogo!!!
:o

still "warning-free."

#19 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

How about town names? I just read that Dull, in Scotland is twinned with Boring, Oregon. Did I just kill this topic? Posted Image

#20 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

And, don't forget F-ing, Austria . . .

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

#21 John in Andalucia

John in Andalucia

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

And, don't forget F-ing, Austria . . .

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

For the folks that live in these places, I'm sure it all gets a bit tedious. Especially as many names go back centuries. If you're a business, club or organisation - for example, the Muff Diving Club in County Donegal, N. Ireland - then they probably have the last laugh. Free publicity, and all that.

#22 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

haha!

I think it refers to the whale's, er, pogobob reference.

#23 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

I swear, I can't make this up.  There's a man named http://en.wikipedia....i/Dork_Sahagian the link says it all.

Hope he's got a good sense of humor.

#24 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

"Meet me on the corner of DORK and DURFEE!

Attached Thumbnails

• why-nerds-wear-glasses_large.jpg

Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#25 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

"Meet me on the corner of DORK and DURFEE!

That is an old picture! I remember a guy who looked EXACTLY LIKE THAT who worked at Radio Shack. Drove a Mercury Monarch.

#26 akamu

akamu

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

We had a guy named Richard Ryder running for city counsel :floor:

#27 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Doink!

#28 Pando

Pando

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 647 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

Well, there is a town in Austria...

San Diego North County, west-facing hillside 6 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean

#29 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, but that's German . . .

This is English all the way.

Much funnier.

#30 Josh-O

Josh-O

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

:floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users