IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A street named DORK

DoomsDave

Okay.

I was out driving about, on my way to a possible source of mulch, etc., in Pico Rivera, California, when

WHOA! Does that sign say what I think it says?

:blink:

post-208-057773000 1333767291_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well suh, I do bee-leeve it say Dork.

Street.

I sat in the car and laughed. Just the sheer silliness of it all.

These kids walking by just smiled.

Zooom in for a better view.

post-208-090499500 1333767378_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This begged other questions.

Like, if this was named after someone, then WHO?

Are they still alive?

Or, was it one of those cases where a real estate developer let his kids name all the streets? :lol:

In any event, who lives on Dork Street?

I turned the Green Monster down to take a look.

Nothing particularly dorky here. Looks like one of those private roads like the one I live on.

post-208-016754600 1333767615_thumb.jpg

Dork is not a long street, and it ended at Amistad.

post-208-040396700 1333767661_thumb.jpg

I still laugh. Like now . . .

Okay.

I was out driving about, on my way to a possible source of mulch, etc., in Pico Rivera, California, when

You finally got a street named for you, way to go! :mrlooney:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Okay.

You finally got a street named for you, way to go! :mrlooney:

:lol:

haha!

"dork" is an old whaling term,believe it or else. :interesting:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

haha!

wHALING?

Tell me more.

A dork is what you get when a duck and a stork make some sweet lovin'

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

:floor::floor:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

How about Stuck?

No parking on Mondays due to Dork sweeping.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

look it up. lots of words that we never think about have original meanings that have been forgotten. :rolleyes:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Y. Urah Dork :floor: was a famous local politician from the late 1800's when Pico Rivera was in it's infancy.

:lol: ... and a Dooms Dave ancestor from the maternal side of the family? :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

How about town names? I just read that Dull, in Scotland is twinned with Boring, Oregon. Did I just kill this topic? laugh.gif

And, don't forget F-ing, Austria . . .

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

And, don't forget F-ing, Austria . . .

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

For the folks that live in these places, I'm sure it all gets a bit tedious. Especially as many names go back centuries. If you're a business, club or organisation - for example, the Muff Diving Club in County Donegal, N. Ireland - then they probably have the last laugh. Free publicity, and all that.

• 1 year later...

haha!

I think it refers to the whale's, er, pogobob reference.

I swear, I can't make this up. There's a man named http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dork_Sahagian the link says it all.

Hope he's got a good sense of humor.

"Meet me on the corner of DORK and DURFEE!

post-126-0-11428000-1383843264_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

"Meet me on the corner of DORK and DURFEE!

That is an old picture! I remember a guy who looked EXACTLY LIKE THAT who worked at Radio Shack. Drove a Mercury Monarch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Doink!

Yeah, but that's German . . .

This is English all the way.

Much funnier.