Some Palm/Bromeliad Combos at the Beach

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scottgt

scottgt

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I am at my beach house for the Holy Week Holiday and took a few photos of my maturing bromeliad plantings around some of the palms.This is a very hot and dry climate.It has not rained since October.The rains should start soon.Aechmeas do best for me under these harsh conditions.

This is my favorite combo / Bottle palms and Aechmea blanchetiana
001.JPG
013.JPG
The smaller ones to the right are Aechmea Tropic Torch
004.JPG

Ptychosperma elegans with Aechmea blanchetiana
010.JPG
El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c
Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 scottgt

scottgt

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Dypsis lutescens with Aechmea Tropic Torch
012.JPG

African Oil Palm with Neoregelia sp. tucked in the old leaf bases
006.JPG

Veitchias with Aechmea Little Harv.There is nothing little about this bromeliad,its almost 1.3 meters tall.Does great in shade and almost full sun.
009.JPG
008.JPG

Thrinax radiata with Aechmea Little Harv
002.JPG
Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

#3 Gonzer

Gonzer

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Wow, I've never seen such a large mass of 'Little Harv' before, especially in bloom. Looks good. Can't blame ya for having affection for blanchetiana. Bullet-proof all the way.
those were the days
Posted Image

#4 bgl

bgl

Creating my new Palm Paradise

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,872 posts
  • Location:Leilani Estates, 25 miles S of Hilo, Island of Hawai'i

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Scott,

Those are excellent combinations, and I love those blanchetianas! :) I already have a few (still need to be planted!) and I will definitely get more. The combo with with the Hyophorbes is perfect! :)

Bo-Göran
Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

http://lundkvistpalmgardencentral.com

#5 scottgt

scottgt

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Wow, I've never seen such a large mass of 'Little Harv' before, especially in bloom. Looks good. Can't blame ya for having affection for blanchetiana. Bullet-proof all the way.

Little Harv needs a little shade at the beach and the palms provide the perfect amount.It is also easy to water the bromeliads and palms at the same time ,no water goes to waste.

#6 scottgt

scottgt

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Scott,

Those are excellent combinations, and I love those blanchetianas! :) I already have a few (still need to be planted!) and I will definitely get more. The combo with with the Hyophorbes is perfect! :)

Bo-Göran

My A.blanchetianas planted at my highland garden do not get the strong orange color they attain at the beach.It must be the cooler temps and abundant rain.There are some spectacular red cultivars available.
I am thinking a planting of Ptychospermas waitianums underplanted with some of the larger burgundy colored Neos would be spectacular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users