IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some Palm/Bromeliad Combos at the Beach

Really full garden

I am at my beach house for the Holy Week Holiday and took a few photos of my maturing bromeliad plantings around some of the palms.This is a very hot and dry climate.It has not rained since October.The rains should start soon.Aechmeas do best for me under these harsh conditions.

This is my favorite combo / Bottle palms and Aechmea blanchetiana

post-175-087161600 1333726393_thumb.jpg

post-175-021319400 1333726430_thumb.jpg

The smaller ones to the right are Aechmea Tropic Torch

post-175-069916100 1333726500_thumb.jpg

Ptychosperma elegans with Aechmea blanchetiana

post-175-027130000 1333726548_thumb.jpg

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Dypsis lutescens with Aechmea Tropic Torch

post-175-020421900 1333727136_thumb.jpg

African Oil Palm with Neoregelia sp. tucked in the old leaf bases

post-175-056453900 1333727177_thumb.jpg

Veitchias with Aechmea Little Harv.There is nothing little about this bromeliad,its almost 1.3 meters tall.Does great in shade and almost full sun.

post-175-013569100 1333727214_thumb.jpg

post-175-041146700 1333727245_thumb.jpg

Thrinax radiata with Aechmea Little Harv

post-175-095222800 1333727278_thumb.jpg

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Wow, I've never seen such a large mass of 'Little Harv' before, especially in bloom. Looks good. Can't blame ya for having affection for blanchetiana. Bullet-proof all the way.

Scott,

Those are excellent combinations, and I love those blanchetianas! :) I already have a few (still need to be planted!) and I will definitely get more. The combo with with the Hyophorbes is perfect! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow, I've never seen such a large mass of 'Little Harv' before, especially in bloom. Looks good. Can't blame ya for having affection for blanchetiana. Bullet-proof all the way.

Little Harv needs a little shade at the beach and the palms provide the perfect amount.It is also easy to water the bromeliads and palms at the same time ,no water goes to waste.

Scott,

Those are excellent combinations, and I love those blanchetianas! :) I already have a few (still need to be planted!) and I will definitely get more. The combo with with the Hyophorbes is perfect! :)

Bo-Göran

My A.blanchetianas planted at my highland garden do not get the strong orange color they attain at the beach.It must be the cooler temps and abundant rain.There are some spectacular red cultivars available.

I am thinking a planting of Ptychospermas waitianums underplanted with some of the larger burgundy colored Neos would be spectacular