IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Greenie needs some tips with my first seeds :-)

HorsesnPalms

Hello everyone,

I have been reading this forum for several months now and I am a palm tree fiend. I just love them all. I love growing houseplants and decided to start growing palm trees. As many as I can. I recently ordered over 100 Trachycarpus fortunei seeds, that should be here next week. I want to get everything ready for them, so I have been learning as much as possible about them. I located this posting from another forum (see the one from Shilo45) Germinating Windmill Palms

Is that a good way to go for the Trachys? I was going to use an old fish aquarium (plastic wrap top) , tupperware boxes, etc.

My second question is what other seeds are good for beginners with a fast to medium germiniation period that will grow in zone 9? (I am in central Florida near Crystal River)

I enjoy reading all the post you guys make on this forum and have learned a lot. Maybe enough to just make me dangerous! :mrlooney:

I appreciate any and all comments from the palm gurus to help boost me in the right direction biggrin.gif

Thanks!!

Hi Robin,

And welcome to PalmTalk! I don't have any experience with Trachy seeds, but I am sure there are many others who can help you with that. And they will no doubt do what they can to help make you dangerous! :lol: My own, very general, experience is to use tupperware type boxes for germination. Make the medium moist (but not soaking wet), push the seeds in just barely below the surface, close it up and leave it for a couple of months or whatever time is appropriate for that particular species. Some are quick and some are slow. Have fun and I know there are many different species that will grow for you. Others can tell you what they are!

Aloha from the Big Island, :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

hi H n P,welcome to palmtalk. trachy seeds germinate easily for me,all i ever do is put em in a pot with some soil. :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Well I am sad to report I got my package Saturday, but the seeds were confiscated! It said it was missing the Phytosanitary Certificate. I didn't think you needed one for palm seeds into the USA from Canada. I was devistated. Now I am within any seeds. :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

I got my seeds!!!! I am so happy! :D

Wish me luck, I hope they sprout!

Well I am sad to report I got my package Saturday, but the seeds were confiscated! It said it was missing the Phytosanitary Certificate. I didn't think you needed one for palm seeds into the USA from Canada. I was devistated. Now I am within any seeds. :crying:

Welcome, glad you got your seeds. If they are fresh you should have no problem germing them. Make sure not to keep the soil their in too wet. good luck

Thank you! So funny how they took the first batch, but were fine with the others. :blink: