IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Video of Giant Oraniopsis appendiculata

Tassie_Troy1971

During a walkabout break from the Palm show at Brisbane Botanical gardens Mike green (Newcal ) and Craig (Chakoro ) discovered this huge Oraniopsis and considering that they are not one of the faster growing palms this one must be of a considerable age .

:drool: Wait for the video to buffer a bit !

th_ChakoroMikeOraniopsis.jpg

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks Troy!

Makes me very glad I moved mine after Len and Matt P's insistance..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Troy thanks for posting this...that palm was absolutly massive... and to see it with others who were just as awestruck as me was a real privilege.

Mike mentioned that the roots had tapped into the stream water which would account for its large and impressive growth on what is regarded as a very slow growing species.We estimated that it is around 35 years in the ground as the gardens were developed late 1974 with most plantings in the late 70s early 80s.Possibly the largest in cultivation south of the wet tropics.

As can be seen by Troys fantastic posts the Mt Cootha Botanic Gardens is a real gem and a must see when in Queensland.

Your awestruck brother in palms Chakoro. :drool:

That is impressive.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

doubly so

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That palm didn't have any trunk a couple of years ago, so I reckon Oraniopsis must be one of those palms that are really slow until they form a trunk, and then start to grow at a reasonable rate once the develop a trunk....there is hope for us yet!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Mine is currently about a meter tall..

Here's my baby....slow!

post-42-079065500 1333961966_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Very nice Daryl...how long has it been in the ground and how big was it when you planted it?

How big is it now?Just trying to get a grip on how they grow here.

Oh yeah heres mine...

post-3749-009950200 1333963252_thumb.jpg

I had a another which i nurtured in the ground for six years but lost it in the drought... still hurts to think of it :( ... oh well the pleasure and the pain of growing palms.Craig.

Craig, maybe 7 years in the ground? It was 18" tall at planting and is now 4-5ft...has been slow but doesn't get any water apart from what falls out of the sky. It is also competing with a rather large Blue Quandong...

Daryl

Heres mine... just over a meter tall I think.. Surrounded by a weedy blanket to keep it warm during winter...

post-27-083636700 1333991342_thumb.jpg

uummm, yeah, thats it, keeping it warm... thats my excuse

Daryl ,thanks for that...the problem i had with the one i lost was that the soil being sandy became hydrophobic during periods of drought,this one in the photo has had the soil amended with good topsoil and organic matter and only gets what water falls from the sky it is also in root competition with other trees and hasn`t looked back.

Bill looking good there my friend...Oraniopsis though tropical grow at altitude(as well as sea level) and are very hardy to cold but not dryness,so the weeds could be a type of low maintainance living mulch right?(trying to help you out here mate ;) )

Regards Craig.