IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis colours and Textures

Daryl

The variety of colours , shapes and textures within this single genus never ceases to amaze me...here's a few photos from the garden today...

D.fibrosa

post-42-047834500 1333696270_thumb.jpg

D.sp 'small'

post-42-025796000 1333696275_thumb.jpg

D.paludosa

post-42-042971400 1333696279_thumb.jpg

D. sp 215

post-42-026200500 1333696284_thumb.jpg

D. leptocheilos

post-42-022437400 1333696289_thumb.jpg

D.fibrosa living up to it's name

post-42-027663400 1333696295_thumb.jpg

Dypsis Red Triangle hybrid

post-42-040686700 1333696300_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looking schmick as always Daryl !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Sweet!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Boy Daryl, your D.fibrosa and D. paludosa have such great color. Mine have good color and I'm hoping they eventually develop 'great' color.

Luck of the draw maybe.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice collection of Dypsis palms. Is fibrosa the same as crinita? My D. crinita puts our colorful new leaves. Used to have five D. leptocheilos, but I killed three using them in a landscaping job. I think the backhoe operator thought they were inanimate objects. But the last two are doing well.

William

Hana, Maui

Land of the low lying heavens, the misty Uakea crowning the majestic Kauwiki.

Visit my palms here

Nice color on the fibrosa, mine is a foot tall, and just branched into two. No red color yet.

aloha

Boy Daryl, your D.fibrosa and D. paludosa have such great color. Mine have good color and I'm hoping they eventually develop 'great' color.

Luck of the draw maybe.

Tim, all of mine seem to get better the older they get...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Nice collection of Dypsis palms. Is fibrosa the same as crinita? My D. crinita puts our colorful new leaves. Used to have five D. leptocheilos, but I killed three using them in a landscaping job. I think the backhoe operator thought they were inanimate objects. But the last two are doing well.

William, D.crinita is different from D.fibrosa and from what I've seen has more colour...

Daryl

A couple more....

Dypsis pembana new leaf

post-42-086721200 1333961256_thumb.jpg

Dypsis sp 'amboza'

post-42-033859300 1333961261_thumb.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis trunk colour

post-42-085118500 1333961263_thumb.jpg

I'm almost certain mine is crinita, new leaf stays red for ages

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.