• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro 65

Pedro 65

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,342 posts
  • Location:Mt Warning Caldera Nth NSW Australia. Ave rainfall 2mtrs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

No crop circles but it got you in :D . Now the nights are cooling ive noticed the markings( crop circles) are becoming more prominent on Lanonia Dasyantha ( was Licuala D) the colour of the mottle in the leaves certainly becomes greater here in the cooler weather. I think the circles are pretty cool. :) ps.. if your after a Licuala ( sorry Lanonia) that always looks very primo, its hard to beat Dasyantha. Ive said it a few times before and its well trialed world over that these palms can handle it VERY cold..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN7176.jpg
  • DSCN7177.jpg
  • DSCN7179.jpg

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:56 AM

Ha - I got duped! :lol:

Nice circles! :wub:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#3 Tassie_Troy1971

Tassie_Troy1971

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:23 AM

Nice Pete

Could they handle a winter of maximums between 10 and 17 c and nights 3 - 10 c ?? :rolleyes:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

#4 Trópico

Trópico

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 AM

I have a couple of palms that do just that. Attalea colenda, C. ghiesbreghtiana. Attalea's "circle" (is more of a stripe actually) is completely white. It's like a calendar that keeps track of when the frosty nights happened. They have two on the same leaf. And congrats on growing Licuala dasyantha (sorry it will take time to get used to Lanonia!), I'm having a hard time here, down to the last one, in an incubator on life support.
Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands
humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters
with yearly freezes

#5 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,349 posts
  • Location:Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Queensland , Australia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Peter, Lanonia ? Are there any other lanonia species ? :unsure:
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#6 realarch

realarch

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

That is pretty amazing Pete. It's really pretty attractive. When it warms up do the circles totally disappear or is there a faint hint of them?
Tim
Hilo, Hawaii

#7 palmislandRandy

palmislandRandy

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Wal, I found this:

A recent phylogenetic study based on molecular data indicates that Licuala (Arecaceae: Palmae) is not monophyletic. A highly supported group of species is resolved separately from Licuala and the rest of the Livistoninae, and is closely related to Johannesteijsmannia, requiring that the segregate group be placed in a new genus. In this study, a phylogeny based on seven gene regions resolves highly supported generic relationships of the Livistoninae. A survey of Licuala specimens from several herbaria indicates that, based on morphology, eight species should be recognized within this genus. A complete description of the new genus, Lanonia, is given. A review of morphology distinguishes synapomorphies in leaf morphology and dioecy of Lanonia species. All eight species are described with complete synonymy, their distributions are mapped, and lists of specimens examined are given. One species occurs in Hainan, one in Java, and six are endemic or nearly endemic to Vietnam. The following new combinations are made: L. acaulis, L. calciphila, L. centralis, L. dasyantha, L. gracilis, L. hainanensis, L. hexasepala, and L. magalonii.

-Randy :)
"If you need me, I'll be outside"                  -Randy Wiesner                       Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish    

#8 richnorm

richnorm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

...and some of your beloved Livistona are now Saribus...

#9 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

Wal, I found this:

A recent phylogenetic study based on molecular data indicates that Licuala (Arecaceae: Palmae) is not monophyletic. A highly supported group of species is resolved separately from Licuala and the rest of the Livistoninae, and is closely related to Johannesteijsmannia, requiring that the segregate group be placed in a new genus. In this study, a phylogeny based on seven gene regions resolves highly supported generic relationships of the Livistoninae. A survey of Licuala specimens from several herbaria indicates that, based on morphology, eight species should be recognized within this genus. A complete description of the new genus, Lanonia, is given. A review of morphology distinguishes synapomorphies in leaf morphology and dioecy of Lanonia species. All eight species are described with complete synonymy, their distributions are mapped, and lists of specimens examined are given. One species occurs in Hainan, one in Java, and six are endemic or nearly endemic to Vietnam. The following new combinations are made: L. acaulis, L. calciphila, L. centralis, L. dasyantha, L. gracilis, L. hainanensis, L. hexasepala, and L. magalonii.

-Randy :)

Thanks Randy, so my lil mottled baby has gone from Licuala radula to Licuala dasyantha to Lanonia daysantha. So these guys can have male and female parts on the one plant yes? and the leaves grow to a precise difference to Licuala and for these 8, grow the same. Is this what I'm reading here ?

...and some of your beloved Livistona are now Saribus...

Ya I knew this Rich, but none of the aussie ones fell into Saribus I don't think.
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#10 Pedro 65

Pedro 65

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,342 posts
  • Location:Mt Warning Caldera Nth NSW Australia. Ave rainfall 2mtrs

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

That is pretty amazing Pete. It's really pretty attractive. When it warms up do the circles totally disappear or is there a faint hint of them?

Tim, the circles and mottle effect is greatly enhaced by shade and cool. Here, as the weather cools our palms( Lanonia Dasyantha) get more and more shade as well, infact they are in FULL shade for our coolest months and this is when they are most colorful.
Wal, Randy has filled in the details on Licualas that are now Lanonia, thanks Randy . The other Spectacular Lanonia we have growing here is the one I posted a few days ago..Lanonia Magalonii.
Troy, surely you bought a nice size Dasayantha on your recent visit to SE Qld to take back home? Out of the wind, yes this will be an EASY grow for you.( well documented how Dasyantha still looks Very Primo at temperatures Below 0c)

#11 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

I like to break it down to plain English every now and then, shoot me.. :lol:
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#12 ariscott

ariscott

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I think most of the Vietnamese licuala has become Lanonia. We had a talk about this a while back....
Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia
-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

#13 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

I like to break it down to plain English every now and then, shoot me.. :lol:

An Aussie using "plain English" - you guys can't even spell colour properly. LOL :lol:

Cheers :winkie:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users