IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crop Circles On Palms Photographed

Pedro 65

No crop circles but it got you in :D . Now the nights are cooling ive noticed the markings( crop circles) are becoming more prominent on Lanonia Dasyantha ( was Licuala D) the colour of the mottle in the leaves certainly becomes greater here in the cooler weather. I think the circles are pretty cool. :) ps.. if your after a Licuala ( sorry Lanonia) that always looks very primo, its hard to beat Dasyantha. Ive said it a few times before and its well trialed world over that these palms can handle it VERY cold..

post-5709-036333100 1333619575_thumb.jpg

post-5709-069649100 1333619590_thumb.jpg

post-5709-042533600 1333619605_thumb.jpg

Nice Pete

Could they handle a winter of maximums between 10 and 17 c and nights 3 - 10 c ?? :rolleyes:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I have a couple of palms that do just that. Attalea colenda, C. ghiesbreghtiana. Attalea's "circle" (is more of a stripe actually) is completely white. It's like a calendar that keeps track of when the frosty nights happened. They have two on the same leaf. And congrats on growing Licuala dasyantha (sorry it will take time to get used to Lanonia!), I'm having a hard time here, down to the last one, in an incubator on life support.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Peter, Lanonia ? Are there any other lanonia species ? :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That is pretty amazing Pete. It's really pretty attractive. When it warms up do the circles totally disappear or is there a faint hint of them?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wal, I found this:

A recent phylogenetic study based on molecular data indicates that Licuala (Arecaceae: Palmae) is not monophyletic. A highly supported group of species is resolved separately from Licuala and the rest of the Livistoninae, and is closely related to Johannesteijsmannia, requiring that the segregate group be placed in a new genus. In this study, a phylogeny based on seven gene regions resolves highly supported generic relationships of the Livistoninae. A survey of Licuala specimens from several herbaria indicates that, based on morphology, eight species should be recognized within this genus. A complete description of the new genus, Lanonia, is given. A review of morphology distinguishes synapomorphies in leaf morphology and dioecy of Lanonia species. All eight species are described with complete synonymy, their distributions are mapped, and lists of specimens examined are given. One species occurs in Hainan, one in Java, and six are endemic or nearly endemic to Vietnam. The following new combinations are made: L. acaulis, L. calciphila, L. centralis, L. dasyantha, L. gracilis, L. hainanensis, L. hexasepala, and L. magalonii.

-Randy :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

...and some of your beloved Livistona are now Saribus...

Wal, I found this:

A recent phylogenetic study based on molecular data indicates that Licuala (Arecaceae: Palmae) is not monophyletic. A highly supported group of species is resolved separately from Licuala and the rest of the Livistoninae, and is closely related to Johannesteijsmannia, requiring that the segregate group be placed in a new genus. In this study, a phylogeny based on seven gene regions resolves highly supported generic relationships of the Livistoninae. A survey of Licuala specimens from several herbaria indicates that, based on morphology, eight species should be recognized within this genus. A complete description of the new genus, Lanonia, is given. A review of morphology distinguishes synapomorphies in leaf morphology and dioecy of Lanonia species. All eight species are described with complete synonymy, their distributions are mapped, and lists of specimens examined are given. One species occurs in Hainan, one in Java, and six are endemic or nearly endemic to Vietnam. The following new combinations are made: L. acaulis, L. calciphila, L. centralis, L. dasyantha, L. gracilis, L. hainanensis, L. hexasepala, and L. magalonii.

-Randy :)

Thanks Randy, so my lil mottled baby has gone from Licuala radula to Licuala dasyantha to Lanonia daysantha. So these guys can have male and female parts on the one plant yes? and the leaves grow to a precise difference to Licuala and for these 8, grow the same. Is this what I'm reading here ?

...and some of your beloved Livistona are now Saribus...

Ya I knew this Rich, but none of the aussie ones fell into Saribus I don't think.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That is pretty amazing Pete. It's really pretty attractive. When it warms up do the circles totally disappear or is there a faint hint of them?

Tim, the circles and mottle effect is greatly enhaced by shade and cool. Here, as the weather cools our palms( Lanonia Dasyantha) get more and more shade as well, infact they are in FULL shade for our coolest months and this is when they are most colorful.

Wal, Randy has filled in the details on Licualas that are now Lanonia, thanks Randy . The other Spectacular Lanonia we have growing here is the one I posted a few days ago..Lanonia Magalonii.

Troy, surely you bought a nice size Dasayantha on your recent visit to SE Qld to take back home? Out of the wind, yes this will be an EASY grow for you.( well documented how Dasyantha still looks Very Primo at temperatures Below 0c)

I like to break it down to plain English every now and then, shoot me.. :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I think most of the Vietnamese licuala has become Lanonia. We had a talk about this a while back....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I like to break it down to plain English every now and then, shoot me.. :lol:

An Aussie using "plain English" - you guys can't even spell colour properly. LOL :lol:

Cheers :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B