Parajubaea Torallyi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

Any thoughts on this planting arrangement?? Do you guys think I will get these trunks to curve at all (10+ yrs from now)?? Do you guys have any better suggestions??

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0181.jpg

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Is that a fish?!?!

#3 Perito

Perito

• IPS MEMBER
  • 699 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

I think they will curve up sooner than you'd like. To get the effect of curving away they need to be planted out at a much larger size.
Perry Glenn
SLO Palms
(805) 550-2708
http://www.slopalms.com

#4 avb

avb

• IPS MEMBER
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Don't forget these trees are nearly the same size as a CIDP when they grow up. Expect them to be about 3 feet in diameter at ground level.
Alan Brickey

#5 Kim

Kim

Learning by heart

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

I agree with Perito. Planting such young palms at an angle will give them a vertical kink, not a curve. And as avb notes, the trunk size and the general shape of these palms should be considered when planting a triple. Have you seen a fully mature Parajubaea torallyi up close and personal? If you have, and you know that's what you want, fine. It's good to know what you are getting into.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, USA
All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental
anm23bea44cd09109b5.gif

#6 palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I kind of want the triple Christmas palm look, where they just branch out sideways enough at the bottom to have enough space for the crowns to be slightly separated and not intermeshed too much, do you guys think that would be possible with this planting?

#7 Alberto

Alberto

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

I think the central palm when grown up will have trunk diameter near to circle of ground that was cleaned from grass,
BTW What is the water near the palms? How deep is the water table at this place? Is it not to humid for a P.torallyi?
Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.
Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

#8 Alberto

Alberto

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

I think the central palm when grown up will have a trunk diameter near to circle of ground that was cleaned from grass..............
BTW What is the water near the palms? How deep is the water table at this place? Is it not to humid for a P.torallyi?
Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.
Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

#9 palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Im sure houston is as humid as places come, but I'll give it a try. Also, you think the trunk will cover the dug up area? Its roughly 7 feet across!! There is a lake near the edge and the water is usually 4 feet below where the plants were planted, I have some CIDPs planted in the same location and they have been good so far so I hope it works!

#10 avb

avb

• IPS MEMBER
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I should have added the fronds are about 15-20 feet long on the one in my yard. This palm is truly a monster of sorts and nothing resembling a Christmas palm at all. If you want the crowns to be mostly separate, you're going to need a bigger yard, to paraphrase the movie "Jaws".

I think they'll look spectacular once they get big. They are a stunning tree, even by themselves.
Alan Brickey

#11 avb

avb

• IPS MEMBER
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Here are a couple of links to pics of my P. torallyi. The soda can gives you something for comparison. The wall in the other pic is about 5 feet tall. These pics should give you some idea what these trees look like after about 10 years.

http://i1231.photobu...ll/DSC_0903.jpg http://s1231.photobu...nt=DSC_0907.jpg
Alan Brickey

#12 palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Wow that is big, but that's what I expected, I guess I can take the two horizontal PTVT's out and put them back in pots and when they are much bigger, then I can plant them like that again!! There's quite a bit of space on both sides (20ft on each side).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users