IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone growing Giant Easter Lilies?

Palm crazy

It will be a few more years before I get any flowers, but the first leaves coming out are interesting and tropical looking. All three of these plants were taken the same day.

In deep shade no sun. Very little growth.

DSC00005.jpg

Filter all day sun. Much better early growth.

DSC00003-1.jpg

The best growth is full morning sun with afternoon deep shade. Caterpillar moths are already getting some of the leaves.

DSC00010.jpg

• Upvote 2

Whoa!

I was expecting Lilium longiflorum, which is totally different. What's the botanical name of your plant? It looks cool!

220px-Lilium_longiflorum_%28Easter_Lily%29.JPG

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave and Jude you are both wrong. But good guess's. Look up the name for more information.

Scientific Name

Cardiocrinum giganteum (kar-dee-oh-cry-num)

Common Name

Giant lily, Easter lily

Plant Fact Sheets

Consumer Hort

Geophyte Organ: Bulb

[C. gigantuem]

Light Requirements: 25-50% Shade

Height: 36-96 inches (90-200 cm)

Flowering Season: Summer

Flower Color: White

Spacing Between Bulbs: 36 inches (90 cm)

Hardiness: Semi-hardy - injured below 28°F (-2°C)

Prefers well-drained but moisture retentive soil.

USDA Hardiness Zones

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

- - - M M M M - - -

M=hardy with mulch.

Edited by Palm crazy

I mail-ordered once but the plant arrived in terrible condition with few roots and didn't survive. Did you start from seed? How long from seed to flowering?

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

I mail-ordered once but the plant arrived in terrible condition with few roots and didn't survive. Did you start from seed? How long from seed to flowering?

I got these last year from a local nursery.

The one in deep shade has been there for 10 years.

From seed they take 5-7 years before they will bloom but very much worth the wait and sweetly fragrant.

Buy early for best growing in the ground (mail order that is.) I think P.D. sells a smaller variety.

Ah yes, Cardocrinum. I've never seen them called "Easter Lily" - Interesting! Never tried them, only because they die after flowering - or so I've read.

Ah yes, Cardocrinum. I've never seen them called "Easter Lily" - Interesting! Never tried them, only because they die after flowering - or so I've read.

Yes they do die after flowering, but they also send up a dozen little ones to replace the main plant.

My older clump has bloom twice, and I have given away many pups.

How long do the pups take to flower? Do they pup enough that by the time the mother flowers, the pups are close to flowering? Sounds tempting!

How long do the pups take to flower? Do they pup enough that by the time the mother flowers, the pups are close to flowering? Sounds tempting!

If you let them multiply (don't disturb) they will bloom every year with the oldest plants. They start producing pups on four year old plants.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to find one now :) I had no idea they looked that good (like your photo.)

Thanks, if you have anything cool to trade I'd be glad to part with a pup. :unsure: That goes for you too Jude. Won't grow in Daves garden.... :(

Edited by Palm crazy

I'd be thrilled to trade with you - send me a PM with some of you generic interests and I'll see what i can do !

Thanks! Jude

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update on the Cardiocrinum giganteum, giant lily.

First one...

DSC00011.jpg

The second....

DSC00027.jpg

And to my surprises and delight the Third one is sending up a flower stock. I will show its progress and bloom this summer with pics.

DSC00023-1.jpg

Also an interesting thing that happens a lot on these gardening boards...soon after I posted this plant I noticed all the PNW mail-order nurseries sold out of Cardiocrinum giganteum. :hmm::D

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Nice! I like interesting flowering plants for the garden (between palms and other tropicals) but coming from the Himalayas is probably not going to do well in a tropical climate, right?

I have grown the lily called Philippine Lily (Lilium philippinenses). It looks like a typical Easter lily with fragrant white flowers.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al, as far as I know it is only hardy to West coast zones 7 to 10 and 7 to 9 on East coast. It might do good in higher elevation in HI.

Cardiocrinum giganteum is the largest lily in the world and is valued for its large size flowers and dried seedpods. They are a great tropical looking temperate perennial.

I'll post some pic for yea when it gets ready to bloom this summer. When in bloom they only grow 8' to 9' tall for me and are sweetly fragrant.

Edited by Palm crazy

You also might want to try....Lilium wallichianum, which is a late bloomer and hardy to zone 8+.

Here's a painting of one from the late artist Marianne North during her stay in India, 1877-79.

120403_north.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This years Gaint lily are looking pretty good this time of year….should now for sure in a week or two if this one will bloom. Looks like the leaves are large but smaller than usual which mean it going to grow a stock and bloom.

I have another one that I ordered called…cardiocrinum giganteum var. giganteum which the flowering stock grows to 14’ that one should bloom in 3-4 years from now.

Heres an updated photo in the garden, early march. Hardiness is z7-z10. A must have for the shady garden for sure.

DSC00002_zpsdm49qjzb.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Time to do an update on this cool fragrant plant. Cardiocrinum giganteum var. giganteum likes to grow in part shade and will grow up to 10’ tall when it blooms. Here’s what the flowers look like to give you idea of the size which are big. 

DSC00014.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 2

Here is the tallest one at 9’ tall and growing on the shady side of one palm.  Evening fragrance is really sweet. Thanks for looking. 

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

Not the best pictures. Taken a little to early in the morning, but the fragrance is out of this world in the morning and evenings. I started out with just three plants and now I have 15 scattered throughout the garden. 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 4