IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala identification

Pedro 65

Any experienced Licuala fans put a name to this stunner. I was calling it Licuala Magalonii (now Lanonia Magalonii) but check out its last new leaf, rather than splitting its now got one broad central leaf. One keen man with a great eye thought a Glabra type. Had it since very small and its really loved the last few wet years here. Paul (licuala ) did you see a Licuala like this at Nong Nooch. Love to put a name to it. Pete :)

post-5709-095521000 1333398317_thumb.jpg

post-5709-002035400 1333398338_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter, I saw one exactly like this at the Townsville palmetum. It was named Licuala 'New Britain'. This is your guy I'd say.

Here it is:

That's it in front of the ratpack with John Dowe far right in the light grey cap. It caught our eyes.

post-51-087868400 1333406147_thumb.jpg

I remember clearly how fascinating it was so I took a pic with my hand to highlight the larger middle leaflet. Do you have a spare ? :)

post-51-067600700 1333406075_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks for the input Wal but i dont see it being New Britaian, theres tons of Licuala with the Broad centre leaf so that alone is little to go on. I think the New centre leaf will split and follow trait, but still keen to hear from anyone that can tell me more. Till then, i will stay with "Magalonii" which comes from vietnam and the tag said sp vietnam,I look fwd to any more views. Pete :)

Okay Pete, thought I had it nailed, (My ID record is ordinary I must admit :D ) perhaps Mikey might have some thoughts. I love the Licuala world of wonders, it's a genus of palms that even non palmy folk are drawn to in my experience. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Pedro,

I'm far from being a Licuala expert, but I happen to have a copy of Henderson's Palms of Southern Asia. In his description of L. magalonii, he says the "blades divide into 3 leaflets, the central one wider than the others and split into 2 broad lobes." He also has a photo of L. magalonii & it looks just like your photos. I suspect your newer middle blade will split into two as your older ones have. But notice the split on the older leaves is not the entire length of the leaf. I guess those are the "two broad lobes" Henderson describes.

Henderson also says the palm is from Vietnam, can be solitary or clustered & to 1.5 m tall. His book was written before some of the Licualas were reclassified, so you may have the Lanonia magalonii. If it is, you'll need both a male & a female to get seed!

Whatever it is, it's a beauty!

Aloha, Karen

North of Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii

1200' elevation, 200" rain/year

Year round stream with small waterfalls

Wow, Very nice Pete, Not to sure on what sp, but So far I've got a few names but

I'm not going to guess... no one likes a guesser eh.. I'd stick with your name

you have now, cos at the moment its to hard to pick.... Hmm What i can say you

have the country right ..it is from Vietnam but wot one... can you tell us who supplied

this beauty, and how old it is,this might help me pin it down..

Cheers for now Mikey..

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Oh forgot to say... Wal how did you get John Dowe to sit or walk

in the gardens without him been called away, he's a busy lad..

good one you had the best showing you guys around dude.. talk about lucky

..Mikey..

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Thanks Karen and Mikey,yes i will stay with Magalonii as the leaf looks certain to split on closer examination. Karen,yes Andrew Hendersons book is fantastic, until a year ago my now Lanonia Magalonii was tagged Sp Vietnam.Exciting stuff, this brings our "Lanonia" collection to 2, the other of course being Dasyantha,another six to hunt down. :) Mikey,i bought this years ago in a tube at a Palm/Plant show in Cairns mid 90s, Arden said it wasnt from him so the only other candidate with a stall which i did buy from was Geoff Fowler. Certainly a Very stunning small palm that im glad I obtained all those years ago. :) Pete

• 1 year later...

Any experienced Licuala fans put a name to this stunner. I was calling it Licuala Magalonii (now Lanonia Magalonii) but check out its last new leaf, rather than splitting its now got one broad central leaf. One keen man with a great eye thought a Glabra type. Had it since very small and its really loved the last few wet years here. Paul (licuala ) did you see a Licuala like this at Nong Nooch. Love to put a name to it. Pete :)

Hi Pete, just working away, and I saw this thread, if you open the link on the Palmpidia page, there's a photo of it, best, Ed

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Lanonia_magalonii

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I must have missed this thread last year! What a gorgeous Licuala. Another for my wish list for sure!

Cindy Adair

Pedro , you say 'theres tons of Licuala with the Broad centre leaf '.........

name some of these please .. I only know of a few .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Pedro , you say 'theres tons of Licuala with the Broad centre leaf '.........

name some of these please .. I only know of a few .

Michael from the Far Nth who mixes with Mr Licuala and only know a few :) maybe your "testin me" :)

Heres a few "Beautys "

I will even post pics of some that have an # beside them , most pics are from Malaysian Biological diversity, and 1 from RPS and 1 from Chalermchart.

Our Lic sp # ( pic nmb 9328) gone from split middle broad to broad, so still early days, this shot taken 5 minutes ago.

Lic ahildurii #

Lic bayana #

Lic bintulensis # ( pic from RPS )

Lic indah sekai

Lic khoonmengii

Lic lauterbachii var bouganville

Lic sarawakensis

Lic triphylla

Lic thoana #( 1 pic from Chalermchart and 1 from MBD )

Lic ah ka sa # ( pic from RPS)

Pete :)

post-0-0-37277500-1377486031.jpg

post-0-0-05038300-1377486040.jpg

post-0-0-41391700-1377486050_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-28280800-1377486060_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-47626600-1377486069_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-37864800-1377486110.jpg

post-5709-0-29412700-1377486710_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-20301900-1377486932_thumb.jp