IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn Downunder 2012

Daryl

This really is a beautiful time of year...warm days, cooler nights good for sleeping...the last couple of days have been picture perfect...cloudless and still...forecast is for more of the same, or similar...looking forward to the Easter long weekend!

Forecast for Tuesday

Fine and mostly sunny. Light to moderate SW to SE winds.

Precis:

Fine, mostly sunny.City:Min 18 Max 30

UV Alert from 8:40 am to 3:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Wednesday Mostly fine, possible shower.Min 17 Max 29

Thursday A shower or two.Min 18 Max 28

Friday A shower or two.Min 18 Max 28

Saturday Fine, mostly sunny.Min 17 Max 28

Sunday Mostly fine, possible shower.Min 17 Max 29

Monday Mostly fine, possible shower.Min 17 Max 30

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

wednesday 4 April

min 13

Max 23Sunny.

Thursday 5 April

Summary Min 13Max 26Partly cloudy.

Friday 6 April

Summary Min 14Max 26Sunny.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Yes agree Daz, early Autumn in coastal Sth East Queensland is the best time of year. It usually rains at Easter time so we'll see. I've planted about 10 palms in 3 days, must be because of a combo of last Thursday's inspirational Palm Society meeting and the current climate. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Autumn? What autumn? :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Did a bit of pre Easter camping in the bush about an hr south of Perth to beat the Easter crush at local camping spots. Up in the hills at about 400m asl along the banks of the Murray river. Set the tent up and it rained from Sunday arvo right through to Tuesday morning. Had the place to ourselves though. The forest had gone from dry and desperate to wet and dripping like a rainforest during our stay. Wasn't cold either. Must have been about 100% humidity in there. Perth didn't get any such soaking, until Tuesday night when 13mm fell and the weather turned definitely autumn. Had a few cool cloudy days. 25C and sunny today. 30 tomorrow. 34C by Tuesday, and then rain after that with a 30C and a 29C in there. April can be anything over here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's perfect temperature wise but so damned dry. Looks like I will miss out on my autumn growth spurt this year. Where is my rain ?

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

We had fog yesterday morning and then about 28C. This morning we had about 90% RH with dew forming on everything and then we got to just under 36C and dry. Work that out.huh.gif Tomorrow is 33C. Just when I have to start digging holes again. Pretty hot for April, but not uncommon during the first part of April.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

So far this April has been the driest on record !! Nights now are going down to low teens, so single digits will be coming along soon. It looks like a repeat performance of last years endless winter as temps are 3 degrees cooler than average. Damn, damn and double damn.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Mid to high twenties now. Nights in the low to high teens. Single digits are just around the corner though. Dew on everything this morning as we hit nearly 100%RH early in the morning. A bit of rain later in the week. Just the tip of a cold front brushing past us I think. They're still a bit too far south at this time of the year to bring anything decent.

Quite pleasant this time of year. No need for air conditioning or heating. Generally blue skies and light winds. Good gardening weather.

We've had a fantastic run of sunny weather here lately. You Aussies just keep sending those highs over, ok?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Had a bit of rain in the last 24hrs. 4.2mm. Not much but every bit is welcome.

Put the heater on for the first time this year lastnight. The air had a nip in it, or my blood is just so thin from the hot summer and I'm not accustomed to the cold anymore. It got down to 9.4C this morning. I've got to toughen up. :D

The weather here has been very pleasant lately. Days start off cloudless and then we get an afternoon shower. Dewpoints are around 19-20C and there is very little breeze. Ideal growing weather and nice and comfortable for humans too!

Hopefully winter will stay away for a while yet, although looks like we will get some cooler stuff in the next few days...

Daryl

Forecast for Saturday

Fine and mostly sunny. Light to moderate S to SW winds, tending NE'ly in the afternoon.

Precis:Fine, mostly sunny.City:Max 28Bayside:Max 27UV Alert from 9:10 am to 2:20 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

SundayFine, partly cloudy.Min 17Max 29MondayA shower or two.Min 17Max 29TuesdayShowers, possible storm.Min 18Max 25WednesdayPossible shower.Min 15Max 26ThursdayFine, partly cloudy.Min 12Max 27FridayPossible shower.Min 14Max 27<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Coolest April day on record and torrential rain...what else can I say?

heater ! we don't need no stinkin' heater :mrlooney:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 2 weeks later...

Rain has started again, and the cool weather. Still I'd rather have a stable moist atmosphere as we descend into winter than a bone dry extreme temp variation winter like we had a few years back.

Cold and moist here the last few days. At least that's how it feels just coming out of a hot summer. If we were coming out of a cold winter it wouldn't feel that bad. Rainy with mid to high teens at night and cloudy days in the low twenties. Back up to 27C on Sat. Probably the last for another 5 months. :(

Some nice May weather on the way. Going to look at the coconut protection situation this weekend.

Friday Mostly sunny. Min 11 Max 24Saturday Sunny. Min 13 Max 29Sunday Few showers. Min 15 Max 26Monday Shower or two. Min 12 Max 24Tuesday Few showers. Min 11 Max 24Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 12 Max 24

Warm days still, in the mid 20s but the nights are starting to get chilly. It went down to 4 a couple of times but seems to average about 8. Not a sign of rain, so the watering is a daily chore still, as it has been all summer. Tyrone, my coconuts are doing fine, no cold spotting at all. I am not covering them this year unless there is a high risk of frost. They got through last year without protection so hopefully they are tough enough to cope.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy, over here in the west we haven't been as cold as that at night yet. Averaging around 14.3C min for May and have had the odd night in the 9's but nothing lower. That will change if a high pressure zone parks it's but on top of us.

I'm thinking of putting a few more bags of stones around the coconut, cover the stones in clear plastic to keep the rain off the roots, and just put a 1.5m wind break up to keep the root and trunk area nice and toasty when the sun comes out. Then I'll hope for warm ocean temps and a mild winter. :)

Tyrone

Peachy, over here in the west we haven't been as cold as that at night yet. Averaging around 14.3C min for May and have had the odd night in the 9's but nothing lower. That will change if a high pressure zone parks it's but on top of us.

I'm thinking of putting a few more bags of stones around the coconut, cover the stones in clear plastic to keep the rain off the roots, and just put a 1.5m wind break up to keep the root and trunk area nice and toasty when the sun comes out. Then I'll hope for warm ocean temps and a mild winter. :)

Tyrone

I'm travelling to the west in a couple of weeks Tyrone, I've been warned to expect cold and wet down Busso way. I'll be staying in Quindalup.

Meanwhile here in Beerwah/Landsborough, the days are divine, the palms are loving this with dampish earth under sunny skies heading into winter. I have been planting something palmy every day for the past week, but now I think I may ease up.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tyrone

I'm travelling to the west in a couple of weeks Tyrone, I've been warned to expect cold and wet down Busso way. I'll be staying in Quindalup.

Meanwhile here in Beerwah/Landsborough, the days are divine, the palms are loving this with dampish earth under sunny skies heading into winter. I have been planting something palmy every day for the past week, but now I think I may ease up.

Enjoy your holiday here mate. Unfortunately you're probably right. In two weeks it will be June roughly, so if we get some of those big cold fronts bust through, Busselton will get a drenching and it will get very blowy and cold. That being said, last year around that time we took a day trip down to Margaret River and it was wet and cold up in Perth, but sunny and pleasant down in the wineries, so you may get lucky. It will be colder than the Sunshine coast though. Rhopalostylis weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

The weather here is really pleasant lately...humidity has gone, the sun is not so scorching, and the skies are cloudless, with no air movement...what I like to call 'sparkling' days!

Took this photo today down by the river...could have sat there for hours!

Daryl

post-42-003484600 1336810640_thumb.jpg

The weather here is really pleasant lately...humidity has gone, the sun is not so scorching, and the skies are cloudless, with no air movement...what I like to call 'sparkling' days!

Took this photo today down by the river...could have sat there for hours!

Daryl

post-42-003484600 1336810640_thumb.jpg

I know the sort of Qld days you mean Daryl. They are great. To come over to Brisbane from the damp cloudy weather here in winter to winter days of blue skies and warm sun is just fantastic. We can get these sorts of days in May, and sometimes August, but Perth being what it is is very rarely dead still. Too much going on with the synoptics at this time of year.

It's great to go up to Mt Tambourine on clear still QLD days, and enjoy all those twisty mountain roads and beautiful scenery everywhere. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been high single digits at night and low to mid twenties during the day without a cloud in the sky lately. You wouldn't think winter was around the corner except for at night. We need rain though. I've still got the bore running. All rain has stopped.

Well that was unexpected. Perth forecast to go down to 5C this morning. I wake up to find that my area has gone down to 5.4C, not that bad, but Perth itself went down to 1.3C and Jandakot −0.6C. Definitely the coldest morning in ages. Must have been a bit of a breeze at the airport. Or all the exhaust from the jets warmed the air. :)

Brrr, that's cold Tyrone! Our minimum last night was a balmy 18C, but we are forecast to go down to 6C on Sunday...not looking forward to that and I guess that will be the start of winter...my palms will all go into shock!

Daryl

Lovely cool weather here with the last 7 days of rain & constant cloud (mostly light showers and constant mist). Perfect growing weather really. The rain peaked last night/early this morning, which was quite unusual for this time of thr year. At the foot hills of the Daintree we had 300+mm in a few of hours... Another Q100 storm event. Houses were flooded south of Port Douglas etc. Interesting times.

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Brrr, that's cold Tyrone! Our minimum last night was a balmy 18C, but we are forecast to go down to 6C on Sunday...not looking forward to that and I guess that will be the start of winter...my palms will all go into shock!

Daryl

Had a high of 1033hPa sitting right over us, which at this time of the year causes temps to plummet. Start of winter will be sunny with nights around 10,11C and days around 23,24C and sunny. Balmy for us, just a bit cold now.

3.5C this morning. Looking forward to the start of winter when it will warm up. blink.gif

So far we haven't had a day below 20C this year yet. Normally we've had one by the end of May, but for the next week the coldest day is 20C and every other day is 22-24C. But I no complain. :D

Beautiful blue sky days with crisp cool mornings. A bit of moisture is entering the atmosphere next week and minimums are coming up a bit.

"

• "3.5C this morning. Looking forward to the start of winter when it will warm up. " Very Cold for Perth .

haven't had below 6.5 C here in Old Beach ! :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Tonight will be in the high single digits, a nice change from the 0 temps over the weekend. Days are in the low 20s and nothing is showing signs of cold damage so far. I must finally be turning into a queenslander as once the thermometer drops to 20, I have to put the heating on. Bedtime means pyjamas, a track suit, bedsox, 2 doonas and 2 poochies. Very little rain, so I still water daily...ugh...standing getting splashed by water in a chilly 22 degrees is not for the fainthearted.

Peachy

27.35 south.

"

• "3.5C this morning. Looking forward to the start of winter when it will warm up. " Very Cold for Perth .

haven't had below 6.5 C here in Old Beach ! :D

Kind of normal for Perth at this time of year. Coastal areas wouldn't have been that low though. Day temps have been quite warm. Yesterday was over 24C and today is going to be 25C before a bit of rain then nights in double digit territory.

Got to nearly 26C yesterday. Over 25C today. Now thunder and lightening and rain. That's what we want. :)