IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moving in

bgl

Yesterday was the big day - I was able to begin moving into my new house on two acres on Pomaikai Street here in Leilani Estates. To show the progress in exactly 4.5 months, here are two photos. The first photo was taken on 16 November 2011, the day before we broke ground. The second photo was taken yesterday, 31 March 2012, from the exact same spot and facing the exact same direction. Kevin, my contractor, has done an outstanding job, at times pushing ahead under adverse weather conditions. We had 50 inches of rain in November/December!

post-22-041875300 1333347909_thumb.jpg

post-22-022004600 1333347914_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

First, a photo of the front of the house, and the 10,000 gallon catchment tank. Yes, I will landscape around it and a couple of years from now it will be mostly hidden behind palms and other vegetation - planted at a safe distance away from it!

post-22-074265900 1333348062_thumb.jpg

post-22-016508600 1333348068_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The 16 x 20 ft lanai from a couple of different angles. The little ravine right in front of the lanai will be completely landscaped. Lots of palm planting space! :)

post-22-025721200 1333348176_thumb.jpg

post-22-029520600 1333348182_thumb.jpg

post-22-046476300 1333348186_thumb.jpg

post-22-012441500 1333348191_thumb.jpg

Inside the house, there's a fairly large main room, and two bedrooms at the other end. A couple of views of the main room, with the kitchen and an office corner. The built-in bookcase is almost full of books already! Floor is bamboo and the ceiling is SPF (Spruce-pine-fir).

post-22-016179600 1333348339_thumb.jpg

post-22-063941900 1333348342_thumb.jpg

post-22-057217400 1333348345_thumb.jpg

Wow Bo the house has come up really nice . The woodern floors look great what kind of timber was used ?

I can only imagine how the garden will look in a few yrs time !

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

And two more lanai shots! :) As mentioned in my other "House thread", these are ohia posts, from trees that we cut down on the property. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon sight throughout Leilani Estates, and elsewhere, to see large ohia trees dying, and we harvested a few that were "on their way out", so no healthy ohia (Metrosideros polymorpha) trees were cut down.

post-22-086573600 1333348604_thumb.jpg

post-22-070569000 1333348609_thumb.jpg

Troy, thanks! :) And the floors inside the house are all bamboo. Here are two photos showing the bathroom with the shower. There's a larger outdoor shower as well. (First photo in post #3).

post-22-080948400 1333348767_thumb.jpg

post-22-007421800 1333348771_thumb.jpg

Looking great Bo. How does the catchment tank "catch" any rain water if it has a lid on it? Uh oh, your refrigerator door is on backwards.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Indoor plumbing...how uppity.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Woo hoo! Party at Bo's new place :lol:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Cool Beans!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dean.

I noticed the refrigerator door as well!

Bo, Looks great! Can't wait to see the landscaping.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Congrats, Bo! Looks very inviting. I love the wood interiors and the bathroom floors. It's a long shot but I hope to be able to visit one day.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Everybody, thanks for the comments! :)

Jerry and Kitty - refrigerator door: very observant. Long story. I actually bought it for the rental, where I have been for almost a year and a half, and then Kevin and James moved it to my house a few days ago. At the time when I bought it, the orientation of the door was not something I gave any thought. Kevin has actually spent a fair amount of time checking into this. Whether it would work to turn it around. Not possible on this model. But actually, surprisingly, it's going to work just fine. First of all, the door opens almost 180 degrees, so it'll be perfectly natural to take stuff out and put it on the island. But more importantly, my work space/desk will be in front of the built-in bookcase. I get up frequently during the day to get stuff out of the fridge, and from that direction it opens "correctly". This is how it will be used at least 80-90% of the time. And Jerry, the water that goes into the tank is caught off the roof and then goes through underground pipes to the tank. A lid is critical in order to keep debris and bugs out of the water.

James, welcome to PalmTalk! And I see you're also interested in bromeliads. This will be primarily a palm and bromeliad garden, even though there will certainly be other plant groups as well! :)

Peachy, I know, but apparently indoor plumbing is the latest fad! So, I decided to go for it! :lol:

Palm Island - there will be a housewarming party! I'll be announcing it here! :) Probably not for a few months, though.

Bill - well, I hope to see you here soon! See my comment above... :rolleyes:

Frank - ditto, and why not?

Dr G - well, I know you're going to be here - just a question of timing! :) Let me know when you're coming this way, and you can sign up on arrival! :)

George - now that the construction phase is behind me, I can also begin planting around the house, and that's going to be an extensive and exciting project! :)

Bo-Göran

Best of luck at the new place, looks great. Can't wait for the new garden pictures to start :drool:

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Great looking place Bo! Thanks for posting all of these updates on the progress, I've enjoyed following them and can't wait to see how the garden starts out!

looks like a wonderful home,inside & out. :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Very nice!

I remember back when the interior was bare to the sky, with bare framing . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the comments, and yes, it will definitely be fun to start planting in the areas close to house, now that the construction phase is behind me. Lots of potential! :) And there will be photos posted! :)

Bo-Göran

Looks nice and fresh Bo! Keep us updated on the progress. Knowing you, the garden will be progressing at an accelorated rate!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Your place looks great Bo.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Matt and Don, thanks a lot! And yes, I am looking forward to putting more palms and bromeliads in the ground. Planted the first palms in January 2011 and some of them have grown quite a bit since. :)

Bo-Göran

Looks great Bo. I enjoyed your other thread showing the building process. When we were looking for our farm property, I was hoping to build a simple, cute, farm house. We found a great place that we couldn't pass up but it had a larger traditional home.

I'm looking forward to seeing the planting progress.

Kathryn,

Thanks a lot! And "simple and cute" - great concept! I hope you and Craig will be happy in your new home. :) And once I get all my stuff in order in the house I will begin planting again. Lots of palms that I want to get in the ground! And I can't resist posting two more photos to show the transition. The photos are taken in approximately the same location and facing the same general direction, not quite 16 months apart. The first photo on March 31, 2012 and the second photo on Dec. 10, 2010.

Bo-Göran

EDIT - no idea why they showed up in the wrong order... The older one obviously should have been the first photo....

post-22-016939500 1333657369_thumb.jpg

post-22-098198300 1333657374_thumb.jpg