IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with problem on sago palm

empireo22

Hi all. recently I noticed spots on my potted sago palm and some yellow fleckering on the tips. about 3 weeks early the palm was blown over and knocked outside its pot. so i wonder if it could have caused some damage to it roots or maybed something else. anyway could it be tip blight? but that wouldnt explain the spots. please help me. thanks

Hi all. recently I noticed spots on my potted sago palm and some yellow fleckering on the tips. about 3 weeks early the palm was blown over and knocked outside its pot. so i wonder if it could have caused some damage to it roots or maybed something else. anyway could it be tip blight? but that wouldnt explain the spots. please help me. thanks

Are they very small spots, almost all on the underside, if so then it's asian scale, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Are they very small spots, almost all on the underside, if so then it's asian scale, Ed

No they are on the top and almost like it has been burnt and the tips. I found no pests on it atleast that i could see. thanks

Help my sago please???? anyone seen this before? I can get some pics if you need for a better description?

here are some pics.

Fungus I would say, here we have to keep them sprayed with Neem oil, to keep fungus, and scale off, btw, it's not a palm tree, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

here are some pics.

Fungus I would say, here we have to keep them sprayed with Neem oil, to keep fungus, and scale off, btw, it's not a palm tree, Ed

I have used horticulture oil on it to keep the pests off it but that doesnt help with the fungus. right right cycad its ok if i post here?????

Since this is a cycad discussion, I am moving it from Discussing Palm Trees to the Tropical Looking Plants sub-forum. And incidentally, I had the same problem with my Cycas revoluta (a.k.a. "sago palm") and I ended up throwing them all away. This is a tough one to fight.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Since this is a cycad discussion, I am moving it from Discussing Palm Trees to the Tropical Looking Plants sub-forum. And incidentally, I had the same problem with my Cycas revoluta (a.k.a. "sago palm") and I ended up throwing them all away. This is a tough one to fight.

Bo-Göran

do you know what the disorder is called?

Hi,

What was your low this winter?

17f (-8c) i think. but the sago was inside during the extreme part of winter.

I had the same thing with my cycas caused with the hail.

interesting you say that cause we had hail about 2 weeks ago

I'd say hail too. I have a few plants that look like that after our hail.

• Like 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

You can just let your Cycas do its spring leaf-flush and these will be largely forgotten, if this is just cold damage or some other relatively benign exposure issue. To keep any scale or other critters off the plant now and in future, follow the recommendations of Tom Broome (president of the Cycad Society and expert grower), basically to make a "tea" of coffee grounds (you can also just use brewed coffee) in a spray bottle and spray the bottoms and tops of the leaves. Then take grounds and put them in the crown of the plant as well as completely surrounding the base of the caudex (trunk). Apparently, the "crawling" stage of the Asian Cycad Scale (and most scale for that matter) have to crawl up the plant from the ground into the crown, and the coffee will basically annihilate them. It's a natural and easy method of fixing what was a nightmare problem a few years ago, and is both an excellent preventive and can be a great mulch as well. And completely safe (except to the scale of course!). See Orlando Sentinel article for an overview.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

If this is damage from hail I am obviously taking back my comment, which was based on the assumption that this is Asian scale.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I was going to say cold damage as well, because sometimes, a very light frost will make that pattern. First of all, if it was scale, you would see scale insects somewhere, and the yellow spots would be where they sucked out green stuff. All this was, was yellow spots. If it was a fungus, somewhere, on at least a few of the spots, you would see little black spots within the yellow spots. That would be the signs of spores on the fungus trying to make more fungus. This showed just a slight amount of ice damage because the spots were so separated. The brown ends are signs of mechanical damage, where each leaflet probably got bent back. If you look close, you will see that the leaflets are brown in a straight line where they got bent.

On the coffee, that article came out in the Sentinal before I wrote my coffee article, so for more information, I'd also read this article, which is in the Cycad Society website:

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

I have learned a whole lot more about using coffee, even since I wrote the article. I containue to experiment with it and it has helped a lot when I am growing my hot pepper plants. One fast mention, the softer the plant in general, the better it will take up the coffee systemically. This menas for me, that I can grow a pepper plant for the entire season, insect free, just by potting them up with 10% used coffee grounds in the soil. I have 30,000 plants and about 500 species opf plants, and I haven't needed to use any store bought pesticides in almost 6 years now. (except for when I am forced to, by USDA when I ship plants to other states)

THANKS everyone for the help. and thank you for the article on used coffee grounds I will start using this more in my vegetable gardening.

Hello, I found this site after finding the same yellow spots on my 3 sago's !. I was very anxious as last year I dealt with fizzle top and now this. Strange that you mentioned hail, because 2 weeks ago we also had a freak hail storm. There is nothing on the under side of the the frawns but does look like lite white fuzz down on the the stem coming out of the cone. I think I will treat with Neem oil spray just in case, should not hurt anyway. My Sago's are my front lanscaping center pieces and I really am attached to them.

Hello, I found this site after finding the same yellow spots on my 3 sago's !. I was very anxious as last year I dealt with fizzle top and now this. Strange that you mentioned hail, because 2 weeks ago we also had a freak hail storm. There is nothing on the under side of the the frawns but does look like lite white fuzz down on the the stem coming out of the cone. I think I will treat with Neem oil spray just in case, should not hurt anyway. My Sago's are my front lanscaping center pieces and I really am attached to them.

Welcome! Glad you found the site. You could also try the coffee that someone else mentioned in the post. Im watching my sago for pests still havent found anything to worry about yet just the hail damage. Im gonna just wait it out and see. Wish you luck!