• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help with problem on sago palm

24 posts in this topic

Hi all. recently I noticed spots on my potted sago palm and some yellow fleckering on the tips. about 3 weeks early the palm was blown over and knocked outside its pot. so i wonder if it could have caused some damage to it roots or maybed something else. anyway could it be tip blight? but that wouldnt explain the spots. please help me. thanks

Hi all. recently I noticed spots on my potted sago palm and some yellow fleckering on the tips. about 3 weeks early the palm was blown over and knocked outside its pot. so i wonder if it could have caused some damage to it roots or maybed something else. anyway could it be tip blight? but that wouldnt explain the spots. please help me. thanks

Are they very small spots, almost all on the underside, if so then it's asian scale, Ed

Are they very small spots, almost all on the underside, if so then it's asian scale, Ed

No they are on the top and almost like it has been burnt and the tips. I found no pests on it atleast that i could see. thanks

Help my sago please???? anyone seen this before? I can get some pics if you need for a better description?

here are some pics.

post-6650-052358300 1333293912_thumb.jpg

post-6650-002122700 1333293996_thumb.jpg

post-6650-044700500 1333294066_thumb.jpg

here are some pics.

Fungus I would say, here we have to keep them sprayed with Neem oil, to keep fungus, and scale off, btw, it's not a palm tree, Ed

here are some pics.

Fungus I would say, here we have to keep them sprayed with Neem oil, to keep fungus, and scale off, btw, it's not a palm tree, Ed

I have used horticulture oil on it to keep the pests off it but that doesnt help with the fungus. right right cycad its ok if i post here?????

Since this is a cycad discussion, I am moving it from Discussing Palm Trees to the Tropical Looking Plants sub-forum. And incidentally, I had the same problem with my Cycas revoluta (a.k.a. "sago palm") and I ended up throwing them all away. This is a tough one to fight.

Bo-Göran

Hi,

What was your low this winter?

Since this is a cycad discussion, I am moving it from Discussing Palm Trees to the Tropical Looking Plants sub-forum. And incidentally, I had the same problem with my Cycas revoluta (a.k.a. "sago palm") and I ended up throwing them all away. This is a tough one to fight.

Bo-Göran

do you know what the disorder is called?

Hi,

What was your low this winter?

17f (-8c) i think. but the sago was inside during the extreme part of winter.

I had the same thing with my cycas caused with the hail.

I had the same thing with my cycas caused with the hail.

interesting you say that cause we had hail about 2 weeks ago

Hail did the same thing to mine as well. Looks identical to that.

I'd say hail too. I have a few plants that look like that after our hail.

You can just let your Cycas do its spring leaf-flush and these will be largely forgotten, if this is just cold damage or some other relatively benign exposure issue. To keep any scale or other critters off the plant now and in future, follow the recommendations of Tom Broome (president of the Cycad Society and expert grower), basically to make a "tea" of coffee grounds (you can also just use brewed coffee) in a spray bottle and spray the bottoms and tops of the leaves. Then take grounds and put them in the crown of the plant as well as completely surrounding the base of the caudex (trunk). Apparently, the "crawling" stage of the Asian Cycad Scale (and most scale for that matter) have to crawl up the plant from the ground into the crown, and the coffee will basically annihilate them. It's a natural and easy method of fixing what was a nightmare problem a few years ago, and is both an excellent preventive and can be a great mulch as well. And completely safe (except to the scale of course!). See Orlando Sentinel article for an overview.

If this is damage from hail I am obviously taking back my comment, which was based on the assumption that this is Asian scale.

Wow hail huh.. that's really odd!

I was going to say cold damage as well, because sometimes, a very light frost will make that pattern. First of all, if it was scale, you would see scale insects somewhere, and the yellow spots would be where they sucked out green stuff. All this was, was yellow spots. If it was a fungus, somewhere, on at least a few of the spots, you would see little black spots within the yellow spots. That would be the signs of spores on the fungus trying to make more fungus. This showed just a slight amount of ice damage because the spots were so separated. The brown ends are signs of mechanical damage, where each leaflet probably got bent back. If you look close, you will see that the leaflets are brown in a straight line where they got bent.

On the coffee, that article came out in the Sentinal before I wrote my coffee article, so for more information, I'd also read this article, which is in the Cycad Society website:

http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

I have learned a whole lot more about using coffee, even since I wrote the article. I containue to experiment with it and it has helped a lot when I am growing my hot pepper plants. One fast mention, the softer the plant in general, the better it will take up the coffee systemically. This menas for me, that I can grow a pepper plant for the entire season, insect free, just by potting them up with 10% used coffee grounds in the soil. I have 30,000 plants and about 500 species opf plants, and I haven't needed to use any store bought pesticides in almost 6 years now. (except for when I am forced to, by USDA when I ship plants to other states)

THANKS everyone for the help. and thank you for the article on used coffee grounds I will start using this more in my vegetable gardening.

Hello, I found this site after finding the same yellow spots on my 3 sago's !. I was very anxious as last year I dealt with fizzle top and now this. Strange that you mentioned hail, because 2 weeks ago we also had a freak hail storm. There is nothing on the under side of the the frawns but does look like lite white fuzz down on the the stem coming out of the cone. I think I will treat with Neem oil spray just in case, should not hurt anyway. My Sago's are my front lanscaping center pieces and I really am attached to them.

Hello, I found this site after finding the same yellow spots on my 3 sago's !. I was very anxious as last year I dealt with fizzle top and now this. Strange that you mentioned hail, because 2 weeks ago we also had a freak hail storm. There is nothing on the under side of the the frawns but does look like lite white fuzz down on the the stem coming out of the cone. I think I will treat with Neem oil spray just in case, should not hurt anyway. My Sago's are my front lanscaping center pieces and I really am attached to them.

Welcome! Glad you found the site. You could also try the coffee that someone else mentioned in the post. Im watching my sago for pests still havent found anything to worry about yet just the hail damage. Im gonna just wait it out and see. Wish you luck!