Plants other than palms for zone 9B

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ruskinPalms

ruskinPalms

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi all! I just posted a similar topic in the palms forum. I just bought some land in Parrish FL that I plan to build a house on. It think it is a zone 9B for all intents and purposes. The lot is completely cleared, no other trees, no canopy so its going to see some frost almost every year but it may not get much below 28 to 29F most years. Any suggestions of plants and trees other than palms that I could realistically obtain would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Parrish, FL
Zone 9B

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 fastfeat

fastfeat

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Not sure how big your lot is, but if you've got some room, I'd probably try to replant at least a few native trees-- slash pine, laurel oak, live oak-- for cover if you are planning on trying to grow tender things. At my place in Loxahatchee, which was mostly cleared, I can't overstate how invaluable having a few native pines, oaks, Ficus aurea were for providing shelter from occasional cold weather and intense sun for my nursery. Plus, it's good to provide some shelter for native wildlife for insect control.

Congrats on your purchase.
SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.
'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...
_____
"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

#3 ruskinPalms

ruskinPalms

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for suggestions! I would love to try ficus aurea. The lot is 1.36 acres. How cold can ficus aurea take before it is defoliated and outright killed to the ground?
Parrish, FL
Zone 9B

#4 fastfeat

fastfeat

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Though generally considered a zone 10 tree, you're probably close enough to water to grow it.

http://www.florida.p...nt.aspx?id=2466
SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.
'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...
_____
"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users