IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Lundkvist Garden, Leilani, Hawaii Part SEVEN

DoomsDave

All right

It's been a few months since I've been to the Lundquist garden on the Big Island o'Hawaii, icky icky ucky ucky

And, well, I'm still recovering from the OD of palminess experienced there.

I mean, 5 ACRES of solid palminess, in a climate that, well, is so palmy.

Okay. Breathe deep, slow, way to go.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

ALL RIGHT.

Sorry, getting excited.

It's after all, a Friday afternoon, and well, palminess reigns.

OW! I don't know, but Bo will tell me so, what's in this picture.

Holding my breath. Zen-like.

AHhh

post-208-002903900 1333159410_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bo and KPL talking, in paradise, at ten [expletive] times the price.

Bo, or KPL< if you want to Id the palms, go ahead, I'm not gonna even try.

post-208-096141600 1333159505_thumb.jpg

Caryota gigas, obtusa, whatever!

post-208-052961700 1333159570_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Jungle, it gets better here every day!

post-208-025891500 1333159626_thumb.jpg

Another view

This is after all what photogs are supposed to do.

I feel like Avedon, taking pics of Sonny and Cher

or something!

post-208-030498100 1333159701_thumb.jpg

Another view, so you can feast your eyes.

post-208-027219400 1333159767_thumb.jpg

Bo and Karolyn, walking, into where and among what?

post-208-039088600 1333159825_thumb.jpg

Pigafettas!

Gotta love!

post-208-065225200 1333159872_thumb.jpg

Pinanga coronata, blunt leaf form

post-208-053929900 1333159920_thumb.jpg

And again

post-208-067786600 1333159960_thumb.jpg

Attelea? Beccariophoenix?

Stupendous, scream, etc.

post-208-093800000 1333160016_thumb.jpg

View

post-208-086372900 1333160061_thumb.jpg

Bo and Karolyn

Gazing, skyward

post-208-034617500 1333160102_thumb.jpg

Dance in your undies down the path . . .

Palmy path, that is . . .

post-208-082917500 1333160167_thumb.jpg

Another vista view

Whoo-hoo!

post-208-007615100 1333160217_thumb.jpg

Copernicia

BLue, ohhh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!

post-208-071111400 1333160302_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

OKay.

This is a pic of the Allee of the Royals, with Bo and Karolyn, and, well, if you scream, make sure the tape's on nice and tight . . . .

post-208-031330600 1333160412_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry!

I just can't get this offa' my feeble lil' mind!

Look at the sweep of the place.

I'm still a quivering mass of jelly.

post-208-006130700 1333160517_thumb.jpg

Okay.

I've composed myself. Or composted myself.

What-ever!

Just can't say NOTHIN'!

About the sweep, and the glory.

Help me!

Karolyn, Bo, do an ID, or just swoon with me.

post-208-015645800 1333160902_thumb.jpg

Feelin' weak!

Palmtonite! NO NO NO NO

post-208-003672600 1333160965_thumb.jpg

Guys, gals, whoever, it was starting to get dark, even in the tropics, some things you just can't get away from. Like the Flying Silver Sausage. Or the . ..

Never mind.

Karolyn, in front of what looks like a Mauritella

MOMMA MIA, THINK i SEE A . . .

post-208-033214200 1333161087_thumb.jpg

Okay, I'm sure in Bangkok, the oriental city, nearer the Equator, with the creme de la creme of the palm world

Ahem.

Never been there, yet.

So far Hawaii rocks the house, makes Florida seem like, well, Ohio by comparison . . .

No! NO! Joking. Well, up to a point!

KPL and the place, look at the palms, the walls, oh mommy mommy SAY A PRAYER FOR ME.

Oh.

post-208-032690500 1333161257_thumb.jpg

CLINOSTIGMAS! Yes? Bo, I'm not that feeble yet . . .

Oh, mama say a prayer for me

post-208-021135400 1333161377_thumb.jpg

Okay, see it was getting dark, towards the end of the day, and well, what can you say?

Hadda get the camera fired up, do its thing . . .

Another view

post-208-084549500 1333161478_thumb.jpg

Copernicia

BLue, ohhh-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!

post-208-071111400 1333160302_thumb.jpg

What on earth is THIS? C. fallaensis? AWESOME

I'm screamin! And [expletive] dreamin'!

Let the Bo-ster tell it.

I'm a mass of jelly

post-208-034534000 1333161604_thumb.jpg

Here's one

Broms galore!

post-208-053280500 1333161682_thumb.jpg

And another

post-208-014141800 1333161727_thumb.jpg

oh!

post-208-066046500 1333161791_thumb.jpg

Well, away we go, pictures

\

post-208-088956600 1333161877_thumb.jpg

Another picture

Sigh

I'll say it again, but no, you already know . . .

post-208-057003500 1333161954_thumb.jpg

Karolyn, with the broms

post-208-003600700 1333162026_thumb.jpg

Another view, can't get enough of the views!

post-208-043113200 1333162085_thumb.jpg

As I roared down through the forest in my rented car

of DOOM!

Ah, some things you just don't forget, nor do you want to.

post-208-027745200 1333162181_thumb.jpg

So, I'm sure Bo and Karolyn might have some comments and pictures, but, for now, I'm out and about!

ADIOS . . . .

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the abundance of moss on the palm trunks. I like to see the trunks more clearly, some moss and slimey green is okay but I love this part of the palm, the trunk and rings etc.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bo, give it a go?

Sorry, I've been a bit sidetracked with my move. I'll be back here...

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm